Favourite comedians?

I grew up watching the old school comedians who severed their time and plied their trade in working men clubs.  And loved them. The "alternative comedy" was also of my era, a cross generation sort of thing. The Young Ones was a revelation. Alexei Sayle was in it and I loved his single Hello John Got a New Motor. I identified with it, young lads grafting their stones off and making a bit cash and trying to be a bit flash. At the time I thought it was a gentle piss take of people like me. I was wrong.

Sayle wrote that song because he despised people like me. He is on record on a TV programme saying so. Working class, uneducated common lads who he found intimidating and crass. The song was intended as a cruel parody.

Same to a certain extent Harry Enfield with his "Loads of money" ( but Paul Whitehouse wrote most of his early funny stuff and is a comedy legend IMO) and Steve Coogan with the Paul Calf caricature. I thought that they were laughing with us but they were laughing at us. "Us" being the last section of Britain that people on national TV were allowed to ridicule and stereotype...white working class heterosexual men. Alastair James Hay Murray AKA the Pub Landlord is still at it.

Not a new thing of course. Warren Mitchell despaired that the uneducated working class did not understand the parody of Alf Garnett and despaired at how much they liked the Alf character. Oh, I think we got it. Not our fault if the educated working class middle class heroes are a bit thick. And do not get the craic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Billy Connolly has to be one of the funniest blokes ever......just a very funny view of the world and things.  

“Demi.....Demi.......if the role really called for it and it was tastefully done.....would you consider keeping your clothes ON for a role?” Lol ? 

Ken Dodd live was awesome, Porthcawl village hall, about September 85, went in at 7 came out about quarter past one, two toddlers with us lol Cheers, D.

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I grew up watching the old school comedians who severed their time and plied their trade in working men clubs.  And loved them. The "alternative comedy" was also of my era, a cross generation sort of thing. The Young Ones was a revelation. Alexei Sayle was in it and I loved his single Hello John Got a New Motor. I identified with it, young lads grafting their stones off and making a bit cash and trying to be a bit flash. At the time I thought it was a gentle piss take of people like me. I was wrong.

Sayle wrote that song because he despised people like me. He is on record on a TV programme saying so. Working class, uneducated common lads who he found intimidating and crass. The song was intended as a cruel parody.

Same to a certain extent Harry Enfield with his "Loads of money" ( but Paul Whitehouse wrote most of his early funny stuff and is a comedy legend IMO) and Steve Coogan with the Paul Calf caricature. I thought that they were laughing with us but they were laughing at us. "Us" being the last section of Britain that people on national TV were allowed to ridicule and stereotype...white working class heterosexual men. Alastair James Hay Murray AKA the Pub Landlord is still at it.

Not a new thing of course. Warren Mitchell despaired that the uneducated working class did not understand the parody of Alf Garnett and despaired at how much they liked the Alf character. Oh, I think we got it. Not our fault if the educated working class middle class heroes are a bit thick. And do not get the craic.

Come on eastcoast. Alf G and Paul Calf aren't like your typical working class bloke. You are taking it too seriously mate. Lighten up, they are extreme characters. There's a bit of us in them but I can live with that. Being able to not take yourself too seriously makes lif ea lot easier mate.

• Like 1

Bernard Manning appeared at our local CIU club mid '90s. The whole PC thing was in full swing. I went along and stood at the bar. Shortly after the main act starting the only black man in the area walked in and took a seat at the back. He also happened to be the biggest and most dangerous man in there that night. A purveyor of rare herbs and prescribed chemicals. Cliché but true. I watched everyone squirm in their seats.

Manning started his act, told a few jokes and people laughed, and then came the one. A proper racist joke. No one reacted other than turning their heads to look at the only black man in the room. He laughed. And then everyone else did. That continued for the rest of the night.

Turned out the big man had been asked to turn up anyway and was being given a cut of the door as additional security.

• Haha 2

Manning could be very funny, but he always made me feel a bit queezy, something of the Jimmy Saville about him. He lived with and was devoted to his mum just like Saville. Didn't seem to have women friends. Not damning him or suggesting he was a paedo just mho that he very odd. I remember Mrs Merton interviewing him  that was weird, I don't think he understood the format at all.

Mrs Merton comedy gold." Why did you marry the millionaire Paul Daniels? 

6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Manning could be very funny, but he always made me feel a bit queezy, something of the Jimmy Saville about him. He lived with and was devoted to his mum just like Saville. Didn't seem to have women friends. Not damning him or suggesting he was a paedo just mho that he very odd. I remember Mrs Merton interviewing him  that was weird, I don't think he understood the format at all.

No idea about Manning, only met him once. But he was funny.

Caroline Aherne, Mrs Merton,  perfect example of a clever and funny person. That's all a comedian should be. Some are just clever. Some are just funny. The best of them are both.  These days, IMO, they tend to be neither.

• Like 1
On 05/01/2020 at 11:35, TOMO said:

wonder who used that line first.....aparantly chubby brown said the same when doing a gig in cleavland.....some of you older chaps might remember the cleavland child sex abuse case....must be 20 plus year ago.....aparantly after he said I thought you be home fecking your kids.....the security had to get him off stage..and that was the end of the gig....

I'm with gnash though regards chubby.....cant stand him...I did security for him twice in Mansfield....and thoughy him crap....

also I have seen jasper carrot and anybody remember phil cool.....they did a show together ..I watched them live in notts....they were brilliant....one of them where your sides are hurting...

Jasper carrot was one of billy Connolly,s managers

18 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Bernard manning was married to his first love and stayed with her all her life until she died. 

He was also a very big secret charity donator 

I’m not a massive Bernard manning fan but he was certainly no jimmy saville type figure . 

Also bernard mannings next door neighbors loved him....they were Indians 

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Bernard manning was married to his first love and stayed with her all her life until she died. 

I’m not a massive Bernard manning fan but he was certainly no jimmy saville type figure . 

Manning was married, I'm sorry for "slandering" him.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Living next door to Indians? That reminds me of one of his jokes ?