Deerhound greyhound

Alan and Heidi Charles in Westmeath breed a litter now and again, though they mainly breed pure deerhounds. Bear in mind that if you get a deer/grey it may not be as "drivey" as  other lurchers. I like mine but she won't take fox. Doesn't seem to see them as an enemy. She takes most edible. She isn't as good as my collie/grey on rabbits but she can catch a few.

d508dfc6-cebb-4a14-ae34-0f2234c12052.jpg

Just to add, her feet are very good for such a big heavy bitch. In the months leading up to the season I give her lots of roadwork with the bike and she runs a fair bit on v. rough rocky ground and forest and only once had a knocked up toe. She does damage stoppers a lot but on that ground they all do so I've worked out how to deal with it.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 7
12 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Alan and Heidi Charles in Westmeath breed a litter now and again, though they mainly breed pure deerhounds. Bear in mind that if you get a deer/grey it may not be as "drivey" as  other lurchers. I like mine but she won't take fox. Doesn't seem to see them as an enemy. She takes most edible. She isn't as good as my collie/grey on rabbits but she can catch a few.

Just to add, her feet are very good for such a big heavy bitch. In the months leading up to the season I give her lots of roadwork with the bike and she runs a fair bit on v. rough rocky ground and forest and only once had a knocked up toe. She does damage stoppers a lot but on that ground they all do so I've worked out how to deal with it.

Like the look of that bitch mate ??

• Like 1

Bumped into a young lad few days ago walking a cracker, told me it came from Ireland, dog pup around 10 months old.... I've offered him out ferretting so will ask if I can take a few pics?reminded me of the stuff I used to see as a kid?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Lovey looking bitch Bud very similar to one of mine dh gh x grew tho i think yours is taller than mine. Atb

1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

That's a lovely looking bitch mate and if ya happy with her good on you but do ya not think for a dog that big with shits that big id atleast expect is for it to have a good bit of drive and courage?

36 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

That's a lovely looking bitch mate and if ya happy with her good on you but do ya not think for a dog that big with shits that big id atleast expect is for it to have a good bit of drive and courage?

Yes and that's why I said what I did. She does have plenty of drive on some quarry but just isn't interested in foxes. I don't take many pictures and that's an old one but I've got a pup on at the moment so I may take the trouble to take the camera out a bit. The pup has a little deerhound in him but the rest is greyhound pit and wheaton so if I ever do want to catch foxes that should take care of it. I'm not really into catching foxes though, unless the farmer wants it done. I like a dog that can fill the freezer.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

A good little un will always beat a good biggun 

• Like 2