Nest boxes

As some will know I do a lot of wildlife photography, trying to benefit wildlife and myself I built a Tawny Owl box and a Kestrel box which will be going up this weekend on a farm I have permission to do so... (just need to secure a branch/perch to each box front)

Just wondering if anyone puts nest boxes up for any kind of birds, whether on permission or in the garden ??? If you do or have, what kind of birds and have they been successful in being used ???

B5A0212F-63BB-49C7-924B-D211D01B5E62.jpeg

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, kinkell said:

Have a few in garden had a variety of birds robin tree sparrow spotted flycatcher grey and pied wagtat but they need to have opening pointing east 

Spotted fly is a cracking bird to have in the garden and especially using one of your boxes... Nice one.

I’ll be putting some smaller boxes up soon on the farm, will keep a couple blocked up for when the flycatchers and redstarts start coming in ?

• Like 1

Over the weekend I will try and get some photos up I've had quite a lot of bit nest in the garden and visitors had a kingfisher visit a lot put up a perch and watched it often catching small fish from the stream in garden

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Spotted fly is a cracking bird to have in the garden and especially using one of your boxes... Nice one.

I’ll be putting some smaller boxes up soon on the farm, will keep a couple blocked up for when the flycatchers and redstarts start coming in ?

Have had a spotted flycatcher the last two summers nesting against the side of the house.  Local ringer ringed the chicks last year.  I put up an open fronted box for them last year and they built a nest on top of it !

• Like 6

Kinkell - how lucky you are to have such a garden and location with tremendous birds to watch from the luxury of being at home...

Bell - that’s cracking stuff, hopefully they’ll return again this year and this time use the box you’ve provided ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

1 hour ago, kinkell said:

Was regular visitor to the garden till we had about 8weeks of snow and often at minus 17 degrees about 10 years ago took its toll on the wildlife

IMG_20200222_132740835_HDR.jpg

That's a lovely photo. I temember those winters  I lost all my hibernating frogs from my wildlife pond...frozen solid. In hindsight you should have put canned sardines out for the kingfisher. I bet he could have put up with the tomato sauce flavouring lol.

Edited by jukel123
28 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

That's a lovely photo. I temember those winters  I lost all my hibernating frogs from my wildlife pond...frozen solid. In hindsight you should have put canned sardines out for the kingfisher. I bet he could have put up with the tomato sauce flavouring lol.

Yes was hard I started feeding a few swan's on the river beside me ended up over 60 when they saw me with bag of barley they would all fly up to me

52 minutes ago, myersbg said:

Have a few of these out for the barn owls and have a dozen small nest boxes in the shed waiting to go out

DSCN0069.JPG

They look top notch pal, you make em yourself or buy them ready built ??? Fingers crossed you get some residents.

Put my tawny and kestrel boxes up last month, nothing yet but still early... Had plenty tawny activity on trailcams feeding on roadkill rabbits and pheasants I’ve put out trying to attract buzzards...

Will be putting some boxes up soon for woodland birds, I’ll keep the holes plugged up on a few until the redstarts and flycatchers make an appearance and hopefully get them nesting in boxes. 

1F890055-DF4B-4351-A90E-FBE53CA5DB9D.jpeg

84A25A2A-5FEB-4DEB-AE80-F648B79A47B1.jpeg

• Like 7