marking dog.

having a conversation the other day about dogs that Mark to ground. I have seen some lurcher that were spot on and would only mark Charlie and some that marked anything. in everyone's opinion what breed or breeding has the potential to be the best marking dog or what was the best you have seen. thanks 

• Like 1

Best I had was a cockerxlab I'd give my right arm to have him back. He would scrape the ground and almost be spot on with the locater to let you know where they were. He got shot on shoot rolled over caught in a snare he survived almost everything. Eventually just went missing one day out bushing and never came back I got a good 6 years a fun out if him

A fella i hunted with a few years ago had a Bull x bitch, never seen her false mark, a fox! Also seen a beagle bitch who was a demon at marking, she used to drop to ground if she had  room, plenty of days we done the first bit of cover and she got out on a fox and didn’t come back for hours! If only we had the garmin s back then 

Most breeds will mark, it’s just down to the individual dogs if they want to and how they do it. My old coursing dog would mark fox to ground and was very accurate in doing so. He loved the job thought but my other coursing dog wasn’t really interested. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dig-deep-draw-charlie said:

A fella i hunted with a few years ago had a Bull x bitch, never seen her false mark, a fox! Also seen a beagle bitch who was a demon at marking, she used to drop to ground if she had  room, plenty of days we done the first bit of cover and she got out on a fox and didn’t come back for hours! If only we had the garmin s back then 

Remember that blue bitch? She marked to ground