Rats! Help

I do a lot of pest control and quite a bit of it is in lofts you will need to find a lad near by that has a good terrier to find there tracks and find we’re they are coming from personally I would set traps and also get some of the Mummifying poison from a fiend but as a last resort the Mail issue is finding we’re they are coming from using normal standard poison is a no no and leaving a ferret in the attic wouldn’t stop anything you would just be making more of a issue for yourself if I didn’t live so far away I would of helped you out and I don’t drive ?

On 03/01/2020 at 21:54, budgie123 said:

Statistically only 25% of rodents poisoned inside a property die inside the property leading to smell issues.

I work as a Pest Control Officer and undertake Dozens and Dozens of jobs annually with a single figure percentage having an issue with smells due to a dead rat.

You have to understand that rats are not living in the property permanently traveling out into a drainage system or garden environment daily to feed and drink if you are only seeing activity in the roof space.

You are describing neophobia or new object reaction when you say they are too clever to go near traps.

As a rat gets older neophobia develops and becomes an issue.

We catch hundreds of young and adolescent rats on traps with peanut butter annually.

If you use poison an adult rat will feed on this as there is no neophobia with a food source and will loose its natural ability to avoid traps.

Numbers seems to be the most common concern and it is always low numbers family groups.

As has already been said the most important aspect is determining point of entry.

Obvious defects on the external fabric of the building.

Decking to face of building allowing rats cover to dig into foundations area.

Shrubs to gutter level allowing rats to climb.

Lastly drainage problems. Broken or defective drainage but the most common thing we find is redundant uncapped drainage when property alterations have been undertaken.

If you are not a detached property then you have to consider all these issues at the adjoining properties. Again a common issue.

Working for a local authority we have the support and powers to investigate the wider aspect and properties something which is difficult for a private contractor.

Rats will chew wiring but this is something I see very infrequently.

Poison that dries rats up and stops them smelling old wife's tale.

Something I see regularly is rats preference for certain bait formulations.

Bait is available in a number of formulations with previously grain type bait being most effective but this is changing with blocks on wires now becoming more effective. Possibly just the block consistency giving rats something to chew on but they are now much more effective on some jobs but I always use both and traps.

Good look but look at the wider picture if you are not detached.

Good post. ? 

Ignore old wives tales, ferrets, terriers, mummifying bait ( no such thing). Call a reputable professional in to deal with it and sort access issues.

• Like 1