How young is too young to start on rabbits ?

31 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

Cheers for replys lads, I've got a dog pup just 7 month old now, he ran a rabbit by accident on a walk and he ran it like he ment it so might take him Ferreting in couple of months  and let him grab one in the net then leave him until next season ??‍♂️ it's gonna be a long summer 

I'm in same boat mate. Itching to get going but trying not to. Had her ferreting once and she nabbed a few other night, that's it. 

Looking forward to next season already!

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe in using some common sense..... They are all different.... ?

Crackin lurcher.  Ya can't beat the old types.  This is my big fella learning how to jump there in early spring of this (nearly last) year. One thing I gotta give you a heads up on injury wise, i

Posted Images

Crackin lurcher.  Ya can't beat the old types.  This is my big fella learning how to jump there in early spring of this (nearly last) year.

One thing I gotta give you a heads up on injury wise, is see the second you let the pup out of the pen and he is twisting and turning in the garden sprinting, until he is about 11-12 months old those first few minutes out of the pen can make or break your dog for the season.  I am long in the tooth buddy and until his muscles properly develop make him walk out of the pen and his head goes straight through the loop of the lead.  I have a few pals dogs have broken their legs, tore knee ligaments and main back leg muscles in the first few minutes out of the pen.

Hope that helps and I have definitely given my penny's worth to the sense that I sound like an auld boy giving life lessons.

Timber jumping.jpg

• Like 4

A dogs growth plates arnt set til around 15 months so hard running if its a powerful dog can cause damage. as Sharrrk says theres starting and theres starting, and common sense is needed. one good thing about this year is most ground has got give in it.

• Like 2

I’ve never rushed a pup. I would rather hold them back. Short ferreting sessions and bushing is good for them. Lamping is different all together. I know some guys start pups on the lamp early but as said, it all depends on the dog. I won’t be starting this pup until 12 months but I know some of her litter are already lamping. We have plenty of time. I think most people are guilty of starting a pup too soon because they want to get out lamping and not because they think the pup is ready! 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, RTurlough said:

Crackin lurcher.  Ya can't beat the old types.  This is my big fella learning how to jump there in early spring of this (nearly last) year.

One thing I gotta give you a heads up on injury wise, is see the second you let the pup out of the pen and he is twisting and turning in the garden sprinting, until he is about 11-12 months old those first few minutes out of the pen can make or break your dog for the season.  I am long in the tooth buddy and until his muscles properly develop make him walk out of the pen and his head goes straight through the loop of the lead.  I have a few pals dogs have broken their legs, tore knee ligaments and main back leg muscles in the first few minutes out of the pen.

Hope that helps and I have definitely given my penny's worth to the sense that I sound like an auld boy giving life lessons.

Timber jumping.jpg

He’s a nice strong looking dog 

36 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

1/8 bearded 1/8 border collie 3/4 grey 

I did the one and only thing I said I'd never do and I went to Hancock ??‍♂️??‍♂️ really pleased with him so far though really switched on when busher is in cover and growing in to nice shape 

Looks to have a good jacket on him and there not all bad is what u put into them

• Like 2
4 hours ago, white van man said:

He’s a nice strong looking dog 

He is Irish terrier greyhound (lurcher to lurcher) so has great brains about about him, great round sheep and fiery when I need it.  He is sitting at 14months old now so just starting out.

Two good friends of mine bred him and I tell ya what, dogs of back in the day are so hard to find now.

• Like 1

Ive had mine ferreting since 7 month old she is 100% reliable marking holds netted rabbits don't think she is ready for lamping yet 10 and 1/2 months old she sometimes yaps in heavy cover if she can't get through and has put a rabbit up I rarely go lamping now so can live with the odd yap 

16 hours ago, RTurlough said:

Timber jumping.jpg

By eck your "big fella" how tall tts is he and age and by the way how uncertain he looks at this 5 bar gate and your "long in the tooth"plus up to now youve got 3 heads up for a dog looking very uncertain at a 5 bar gate,by eck

To encourage a young dog to get up and over, especially with a see-through type of barrier, I tend to throw my coat over ..

I only do this a few times; I find it gives a pup, something to aim for,.. and improves his confidence no end....:toast:

DSC_0632.JPG

• Like 4