How young is too young to start on rabbits ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe in using some common sense..... They are all different.... ?

Crackin lurcher.  Ya can't beat the old types.  This is my big fella learning how to jump there in early spring of this (nearly last) year. One thing I gotta give you a heads up on injury wise, i

Posted Images

There's starting em off, and starting em off. Starting a youngster on ferreting is completely different to starting a youngster on lamping. Ferreting, as long as you keep in mind your pup is still a youngster, is faaar less strenuous than lamping. And there's also the ground conditions with your pups feet, joints ligaments etc. Night time forays will normally be a few degrees colder than daytime, and that can sometimes be the difference between a pup knocking a toe up or not. 

Just a couple of things to possibly consider

• Like 3

Common sense mate.When you know a pup wants to chase and catch and can run and turn quick enough to catch a rabbit then the time may be right to take it out. Take it out on the lamp when the conditions are right ie dark,windy night and to a place where the grass is not too short etc. The best dogs I've ever had have all caught a rabbit by the the time they're 7-9 months. I like to take a pup along when lamping with a seasoned dog. The pup will know the score soon enough and when it's standing on it's back legs pulling like a c--t when the adult dog is slipped you will know the time is right.Good luck.

• Like 2

I personally wouldn’t lamp a dog till it’s finished growing say about a year old as I wouldn’t want to damage it pushing my luck pushing its self after gear least by a year old obedience is set in stone 

ferreting from 6-8months old for me with nets off a slip lead pinning in nets guaranteed fur between teeth to switch a young un on its worked well for me doing it this way the early days when younger were different I was inpatient an overly keen. I’ve seen many a young dog pick up bad habits over the years over being entered to early or dogs with no obedience what’s so ever that won’t retrieve or hunt up or yap like f**k behind gear not for me id rather train a dog an have patients before entering I’ve not come unstuck yet ?? 

• Like 3

Cheers for replys lads, I've got a dog pup just 7 month old now, he ran a rabbit by accident on a walk and he ran it like he ment it so might take him Ferreting in couple of months  and let him grab one in the net then leave him until next season ??‍♂️ it's gonna be a long summer 

9 months old but don't expect much and if on the lamp you have a real chance of your dog pulling up after 3 or 4 rabbits and not bothering running for the rest of the night.

Drip feed the pup.  At 9 months old keep your stuff to a bit of day time ferreting.  As for the lamp 1-2 runs on a lamping night.  No more, honestly.  Taking a 9 month old lurcher pup out hunting is like taking a 10 year old child to a boxing session for the first time, you wouldn't get that child to spar for an hour but just give him about a few minutes so he can go away and think about what he has experienced.  Injury to the minimum and positive experiences to the maximum.

Get your dog broken to livestock, ferrets and jumping fences or five bar gates, especially in the dark.  But even jumping gates comes in time.  Don't push the dog, let it grow with you, learn what you expect from him each month and ya know what, enjoy the puppy months.  Get as many photos of the dog as you go along and each time you both go out it will do something new.

Focus on the relationship, the rabbits will fall into place after that.

Edited by RTurlough
  • Like 4