Has the MK1 old grey knocker box had its day

? Nostalgia is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills...?

Most of the lads I see today, are using the Orange 'Treckie' style locator..

I've never actually tried one,.but IF I was still at the rabbiting game, I do believe that I would have to get my act together.?

Adaptability is the essential ingredient of the successful hunter, you have to move with the times,...or like the Dinosaur, you will become,..extinct..:toast:

mod-0912 (1).jpg

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

? Nostalgia is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills...?

Most of the lads I see today, are using the Orange 'Treckie' style locator..

I've never actually tried one,.but IF I was still at the rabbiting game, I do believe that I would have to get my act together.?

Adaptability is the essential ingredient of the successful hunter, you have to move with the times,...or like the Dinosaur, you will become,..extinct..:toast:

mod-0912 (1).jpg

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

I have both Phil, I just can’t get on with the new ones and I genuinely feel the old grey boxes are more accurate and easier to use. What I will say however is the new mk3 collars are superb (and still work with the mk1 box!), no mucking about with tape and collar caps completely reliable and just turn it on and off with a magnet. My kit is mk3 collars with the old grey knocker box. 

• Like 3

Some one is supposedly doing just that and making new boxes I think they will be pretty much exactly the same just a litter updated don’t no where he stands with legality so not going say his name , if he ever manages it or not well that another matter 

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

Some one is supposedly doing just that and making new boxes I think they will be pretty much exactly the same just a litter updated don’t no where he stands with legality so not going say his name , if he ever manages it or not well that another matter 

Good luck to him.  Its only natural there would be a few "upgrades".  I remember them well and very fondly.  If I ever needed one that would be the one I'd buy any day of the week.

The Star Trek  Tri-corder with its directional "search" capability is useful for initial scanning for an AWOL ferret but for the actual dig the grey box is still "The Tool".

With a Mk3 you have to look at the silly flashing and wavering light display to know how close you are to the lie-up. Once you have a feel for the dial and an ear for the tick of a Grey Box it can be operated with one hand while you keep an eye out  for bunnies sneakily bolting from other holes. Or ,depending on circumstances, angry Gamekeepers ,or passing milk-maids.?

Edited by comanche
  • Haha 2

I grew up using the old knocker box used to love that tapping noise I've got 2 here thst I bought a couple of years back need to get them fixed I use the orange 1s even though I don't get out ferreting as much as I'd like to these days not enough days in my week or hours in my day ferreting was 1 of my favourite past times love everything about it I'm 35 now I always go back to that 1st time my dad took me out 8 purse nets my dad's old lurcher and a ferret in an old potatoe sack the feeling I had when I heard that rabbit bumping round under that big oak tree anticipation the adralin it's all still there to this day I went yesterday had 6 ok not a big bag I had to work for them but i still love it and it's nice to get out ferreting on a nice day in the middle of winter

• Like 2

I dont think it will ever die  just to be on the safe side i bought a few same with collars as well to cover all bases . but i was getting them serviced every summer till the guys where saying the parts where getting harder to source , so i went to the electrical dept at work and at first they said bob you got a couple of quids worth of components there but the hard part is finding out what they are as there numbers have been scored off , but then i got the bits i was after and was able to send them back with the boxes . But there easy to do the only problem is a limited market so nobody is going to pump money into a new version 

• Like 1