Last one of the year

20 hours ago, Greyman said:

Not rained now for four days and my little wood is once again back to normal, not knee deep in water so I thought I’d have a little look round for a few squirrels this morning, only saw two but managed to nail one of them ??

BAEEC4FE-C765-47B9-966F-AC705036D44C.jpeg

BC4D5A7E-FAF0-4C31-97B8-664FA8A0B4DA.jpeg

Bloody good rucksack if it’s the one I’m thinking of.....I’ve a couple. Using a little 15 litre osprey at the minute.

3 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Bloody good rucksack if it’s the one I’m thinking of.....I’ve a couple. Using a little 15 litre osprey at the minute.

That’s my life support bag mate, I’m a bit old and decrepit and like spending time in out of the way places  on my own so I have to carry enough gear for a night out if something happens, have a light gortex jacket some knives, fire lighters, foil blanket couple of packs of army rations and some torch,s  amongst any other little bits and bobs, very rarely leave home without it ✌️✌️

• Like 3

Totally off subject on my rucksack but for anyone after a bit of squirrel hunting take a note of the size of the trees, this is a newly planted area of woodland so the trees are not that big, in woods with big trees the squirrels will run a lot more readily but in the smaller young trees they lay flat against the tree and hope you don’t see them giving you much more chance of a shot ??this wood has both old and new trees and it’s always in the newly planted areas I get them, having dogs that will just sit there and stare at them helps though they will sit so tight even the dogs miss a few ✌️✌️✌️

• Like 3

Love a nice rucksack. I’m also very rarely  without mine.....always got a flask of tea in it....although I’ve gone down to the half litre now as the 1.2 litre flask was taking its toll on my shoulders...(I suffer with my muscles).

Off topic, but the other thing I like is a good coat. I’ve just managed to get hold of the RAF blue goretex coat with removable liner off eBay (new £16.99)...usually about £30 ish....it’s bloody brilliant....massive double pockets at the bottom.  Also treated myself to the Austrian gortex m65 style jacket, that was £45 though new, however the goretex in that is sandwiched within the coat so the outer layer of material ( which is water repellent to some extent) will eventually get wet which seems a bit daft, bloody nice coat though.

My dogs caught a squirrel recently, it was  a shame for the squirrel as it’s was safe, but it panicked and ran through some big hawthorn bushes then did this crazy impossible leap..... I must be getting a bit soft.

What breed of lurcher is it looks nice.

Edited by Shortstraw
1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

Love a nice rucksack. I’m also very rarely  without mine.....always got a flask of tea in it....although I’ve gone down to the half litre now as the 1.2 litre flask was taking its toll on my shoulders...(I suffer with my muscles).

Off topic, but the other thing I like is a good coat. I’ve just managed to get hold of the RAF blue goretex coat with removable liner off eBay (new £16.99)...usually about £30 ish....it’s bloody brilliant....massive double pockets at the bottom.  Also treated myself to the Austrian gortex m65 style jacket, that was £45 though new, however the goretex in that is sandwiched within the coat so the outer layer of material ( which is water repellent to some extent) will eventually get wet which seems a bit daft, bloody nice coat though.

My dogs caught a squirrel recently, it was  a shame for the squirrel as it’s was safe, but it panicked and ran through some big hawthorn bushes then did this crazy impossible leap..... I must be getting a bit soft.

What breed of lurcher is it looks nice.

Surprising how many squirrels go into suicide mode when you put a bit of pressure on them, but don’t feel sorry for them they are absolutely everywhere around me and are really just a cute looking tree rat that does a lot of damage to the environment  by stripping bark and robbing bird nests regarding the dog I,d say he has a lot of collie in him just because of his markings and his behaviour, but I don’t really know as I rescued him from a bit of a shite life so he came with very little background information, he spent the first 18 months of life locked on a small balcony in a tower block on a local council estate before he was stolen and passed around for a while, he was kept locked in a garden shed when I liberated him and has been with me for the last 3/4 years, ✌️✌️

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Surprising how many squirrels go into suicide mode when you put a bit of pressure on them, but don’t feel sorry for them they are absolutely everywhere around me and are really just a cute looking tree rat that does a lot of damage to the environment  by stripping bark and robbing bird nests regarding the dog I,d say he has a lot of collie in him just because of his markings and his behaviour, but I don’t really know as I rescued him from a bit of a shite life so he came with very little background information, he spent the first 18 months of life locked on a small balcony in a tower block on a local council estate before he was stolen and passed around for a while, he was kept locked in a garden shed when I liberated him and has been with me for the last 3/4 years, ✌️✌️

Bet he couldn’t believe his luck when you turned up.

My springer lurcher is the best squirrel dog I’ve owned, very crafty, although she’s turned her attention to pheasants the last three years. They cant half bite though,  my little jack used to hate the bloody things, she had a couple hanging off her snout in her time.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 30/12/2019 at 14:05, Greyman said:

Not rained now for four days and my little wood is once again back to normal, not knee deep in water so I thought I’d have a little look round for a few squirrels this morning, only saw two but managed to nail one of them ??

BAEEC4FE-C765-47B9-966F-AC705036D44C.jpeg

BC4D5A7E-FAF0-4C31-97B8-664FA8A0B4DA.jpeg

My kind of mooch that,dogs,dobber and a rucksack with flask and that in.