Apply for SGC

Iv spoke to my local firearms officer this morning and told him what I think I have on my criminal record including arrests.

he said he can’t offer advice on my chances as they will look into my application when I apply, but he advised me to apply as I have no convictions over 3 years. He also said they look at your current situation more than your past. If you seem to be a good citizen now and there’s nothing in your current situation to warrant a refusal there no reason why I shouldn’t be granted a license.

the guy was sound on the phone really informative. He also said honesty is the best policy and I’m doing the best thing I can do being honest about my previous arrests.

ally

• Like 5

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv spoke to my local firearms officer this morning and told him what I think I have on my criminal record including arrests.   he said he can’t offer advice on my chances as they will look i

If our fellow has not been convicted of an offense then no judgement can be made. Getting into a predicament and being arrested does not mean one is a phsyco on the loose. Go for it Mr.

So got my criminal record back from ACRO.   no cautions no convictions at all. Just arrests with NFA as the outcome of each one. The last one being 11th of March 2015.   applicatio

Posted Images

Im filling in m y renewals now for March , when did it become 15 pages long that you got to print off yourself ?. Mine says they will contact the doctor to see if you have any problems and then if they need a letter you will be liable for the bill ?.

Only thing that bothers me is i havent fired a lot of 22 bullets due to the lack of rabbits i just hope my FAO is understanding ?.

On 30/12/2019 at 18:28, Rabid said:

To dispel a few myths.

if you have been arrested, and even charged for that matter, but found NOT guilty, or case dismissed etc etc, then you do NOT have a criminal record.

A criminal record is when you have been found GUILTY of said charge/s.

if you accepted a caution that is classed as a conviction, the same as pleading guilty to a charge.

however, for the record, the licencing team will look at it still as they will know what arrests you have had, and they will look into the reasons behind them, they will then use ‘’public safety’’ as a reason to decline if they feel to decline, and your previous arrests can be used towards that decision.

There is also no ‘’set time’’ to be clear, some forces say 5 yrs, mine say 10, I know another force that says 3 yrs, this is all part of the reason I don’t like the way it’s operated, you can be penalised for where you live, it should be black and white, set out by the home office and ALL forces should work to that, instead of the ‘’guidelines’’ we currently have that forces interpret in different manners.

i would speak to your force first and see what stance they take, but in all honesty you may not get a straight answer, my force just tells everyone they have the right to apply if your not a prohibited person, doesn’t mean they grant every application.

I also wouldn’t bother with Basc, they change their mind like the wind and give different advice on each call.

one thing you can do, pay £10 and get a copy of any information held on pnc about you, it will include everything unless it prejudices a case, ongoing investigation, or person (police officer, member of public, informant etc etc)

it will list all convictions and cautions though.

Good grief !  Contrary to common belief there are a few on here with a few active grey cells who aren't permanently thought challenged and can string a sentence together without getting into a fist fight over nothing. What a good post.  Good and ice presented in a clear concise form. Or in other words,  a bloody good post ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ally m said:

So got my criminal record back from ACRO.

no cautions no convictions at all. Just arrests with NFA as the outcome of each one. The last one being 11th of March 2015.

application going in next couple days.

Good stuff! Advance warning, waiting for that certificate to drop through letterbox seems to take a b*****d lifetime! Thoughts on what gun you'll get? 

2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Good stuff! Advance warning, waiting for that certificate to drop through letterbox seems to take a b*****d lifetime! Thoughts on what gun you'll get? 

Not really sure yet, definitely fancy a Over under. Im going shooting on Sunday with a group so will get a feel for a few different guns.

any recommendations for a beginner welcome :)

also, don’t want to count my chickens...

On 17/01/2020 at 13:54, BenBhoy said:

It’s not just waiting for the certificat that seems like a life time four b*****d months to come and see me after they’d cashed my cheque ?