Apply for SGC

Hi,

I have recently been attending clay pigeon shoots with my father for the last year or so, I would like to apply for my own SGC but have been a bit naughty in my younger years.

i have been arrested for a few different offences 4 or 5 years ago but never been convicted of anything. Not even sure what cautions iv received if any.

i plan on being completed honest obviously on the application but it’s hard to be as I don’t even know what’s on my criminal record. It’s worth mentioning that the arrest were for assaults and got charged for wounding with intent but I never got convicted. I have a good employment history now I’m a family man and I’m getting married this year. I have moved away form the area where the offences were committed to start fresh and have been out of trouble since. Any help with what I should do regarding the application and if I should even apply will be greatly appreciated!

thank you

ally

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv spoke to my local firearms officer this morning and told him what I think I have on my criminal record including arrests.   he said he can’t offer advice on my chances as they will look i

If our fellow has not been convicted of an offense then no judgement can be made. Getting into a predicament and being arrested does not mean one is a phsyco on the loose. Go for it Mr.

So got my criminal record back from ACRO.   no cautions no convictions at all. Just arrests with NFA as the outcome of each one. The last one being 11th of March 2015.   applicatio

Posted Images

All you can do is apply, it’s a bit of a lottery, depending on the force you are dealing with, just be completely honest with them, they will look into your record, even if you haven’t been charged/convicted  with the offence, it’s still there for them to see, so you need to tell them everything otherwise it looks like you are hiding something because they already know you history, I had a few arrests and cautions from my younger days but like you I was never convicted of anything ( none of mine were for violence) I was granted SGC and shortly after FAC, but I have a mate who was refused a SGC because of people he knew ( guilt by association) a couple of good references wouldn’t go  amiss 

Thanks guys, I think my chances are slim in all honesty. Like I said I have no idea what the police even hold about me. I have requested my information through ACRO but this can take up to a month so I’m guna hold off putting the application in until have this information.

guna be a looong wait

37 minutes ago, David.evans said:

I’m quite sure you have to have been clear for 6 years 

have a go , at least you will find out where you stand 

good luck 

atb 

22 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It’s 5 years up here, but it’s still a bit off a lucky dip

Think it depends on type of conviction, I had a bit of trouble a few years back,resulting in me losing my tickets, got them back after 3 years, best behaviour for me from now on ? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ally m said:

the arrest were for assaults and got charged for wounding with intent

I hate to say I think you'll have an uphill struggle. Have you phoned/emailed your firearms dept? I'd recommend that (for free) before paying for application & have it rejected. Are you in BASC or similar? They can give advice too. Good luck.

A friend of mine was charged and convicted of common assault, he had his SGC and FAC taken away, 12 months later he applied for them back and got them, sadly since then he got into a drunken argument with his partner and she called the police saying she was in fear of her safety, he was arrested and his tickets taken away again, firearms told him he would have to be 5 years clear, but I would of thought there’s not a chief constable in the land that would put their name to that and he’s still with his missus 4 years later ( ? mental, she’d of been long gone if that was me )

• Confused 1

It’s all down to the bloke behind the big desk.. can’t see me getting a big welcome when I hit the clouds but I got both tickets first application... at my home interview he went back 20years and on leaving told me I could appeal the decision if I was declined!!

my advice would be get good referees from the most upstanding people you know.. and if you get knocked back I’m sure your money’s refunded 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I think my chances are slim in all honesty. Like I said I have no idea what the police even hold about me. I have requested my information through ACRO but this can take up to a month so I’m guna hold off putting the application in until have this information.

guna be a looong wait

Since I don’t know whats actually on my criminal record apart from the fact iv never been convicted of a crime should I fill the application out or should I wait for the response from ACRO first?

also should I list arrests on the application or just cautions if there is any? 

" He's not the messiah,  he's a very naughty boy".  . " you feel lucky boy, well do yah" ?

Go on. You might be lucky but you got to be good.   You checked the depth of tread on your tyres lately ?

Ps. Don't bother asking basic. You won't get the answer that your looking for. 

Edited by Meece

To dispel a few myths.

if you have been arrested, and even charged for that matter, but found NOT guilty, or case dismissed etc etc, then you do NOT have a criminal record.

A criminal record is when you have been found GUILTY of said charge/s.

if you accepted a caution that is classed as a conviction, the same as pleading guilty to a charge.

however, for the record, the licencing team will look at it still as they will know what arrests you have had, and they will look into the reasons behind them, they will then use ‘’public safety’’ as a reason to decline if they feel to decline, and your previous arrests can be used towards that decision.

There is also no ‘’set time’’ to be clear, some forces say 5 yrs, mine say 10, I know another force that says 3 yrs, this is all part of the reason I don’t like the way it’s operated, you can be penalised for where you live, it should be black and white, set out by the home office and ALL forces should work to that, instead of the ‘’guidelines’’ we currently have that forces interpret in different manners.

i would speak to your force first and see what stance they take, but in all honesty you may not get a straight answer, my force just tells everyone they have the right to apply if your not a prohibited person, doesn’t mean they grant every application.

I also wouldn’t bother with Basc, they change their mind like the wind and give different advice on each call.

one thing you can do, pay £10 and get a copy of any information held on pnc about you, it will include everything unless it prejudices a case, ongoing investigation, or person (police officer, member of public, informant etc etc)

it will list all convictions and cautions though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1