Barking at nothing?

10 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

A lad I know calls them ‘peepers’, run around an empty earth baying at nothing and coming to a hole, peeping out and going back in. What a f*ck on, I had a dog that used to do it when I was a young lad, used to drive me mad, I simply couldn’t put up with it nowadays.

Did that dog come good in the end or not? 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I’ve seen in the past, a dog that bays at nothing, either has been over encouraged into empty holes or is shit scared of it’s own shadow.

Said pup at 8 months and I always take a pup they learn f**k all in a kennel

Took the bitch out this morning just for a walk on some permission, no spades or nothing and let her go over some earths by herself, didn't say anything or walk over to her just stood still up against

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Keaner said:

Did that dog come good in the end or not? 

The dog was a worker, but you had to be sure the earth was occupied otherwise he would mess about. Was it my youthful over-keenness encouraging him into earths as a pup or was it the fact he wanted work so much he would search and search?? I don’t know the answer, but I’ve never had it since.

14 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

The dog was a worker, but you had to be sure the earth was occupied otherwise he would mess about. Was it my youthful over-keenness encouraging him into earths as a pup or was it the fact he wanted work so much he would search and search?? I don’t know the answer, but I’ve never had it since.

Learn to walk away, stay out of sight and sound, we used it once remember. 

Keep the faith, sometimes they're just desperate for work, hunt terriers are bad for it, out of the quad and onto a dig, you need the odd day trying empty places just to calm them down.  If they f**k about just walk on, keep quiet and sooner or later they'll be out, don't make a fuss  keep calm and try, try again. 

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, dillydog said:

Learn to walk away, stay out of sight and sound, we used it once remember. 

Keep the faith, sometimes they're just desperate for work, hunt terriers are bad for it, out of the quad and onto a dig, you need the odd day trying empty places just to calm them down.  If they f**k about just walk on, keep quiet and sooner or later they'll be out, don't make a fuss  keep calm and try, try again. 

Yeah I agree with the quad part Dilly, if everytime they’re out the box it’s straight into an earth then it’s natural that they’ll expect the earth to be occupied. Also a thing we do up here is mark an earth with a dog on the lead to save time, if you always use the same dog to mark and stick another in then the second dog can begin to assume everytime it goes to ground there’s something in. 
I suppose the answer is to put as much individual time into each dog as you can, it’ll come to your benefit in long run.??

• Like 3

One of my real hates is a dog that spends time messing about in empty earths.I remember going out with a mate of mine years ago and I had the chocolate bitch in my avatar off lead working along some bramble covered  bankings at a pace where i was walking at a fair pace almost jogging to keep up with her.My mate who was quite new to the job but to be fair hasnt progressed much since was getting the hump because she wasnt stopping at every hole and was just running across earths.After that we drove to another spot and when I got her let her out of the truck she ran sraight across the field and dropped in a spot on the opposite side in a bank about  75yds away and was on when we got across there.That same bitch that would never entertain an  empty earth would half mark every earth you took her to if kept on a lead just so you'd let her off then she'd try and spin round and f**k off in front hunting the little c**t.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Keener imo you could see the terrier 4 foot down barking at nothing really don't look good buddy. 

I know it doesn't mate ? She still got a hell of a lot of puppy mentality in her at times  so mite leave her abit longer. I've seen both parents and grandparents work and they do the business so ?

17 minutes ago, Keaner said:

I know it doesn't mate ? She still got a hell of a lot of puppy mentality in her at times  so mite leave her abit longer. I've seen both parents and grandparents work and they do the business so ?

Like dilly says if she does it again just walk away, staying close to the earth or calling or even trying to grab the terrier when close to the entrance will only make it stay below. Had one that would stay in an occupied earth but nowhere near the game lol the couple of times he done it when I dug down he was just lying mid tube with nothing near him. Lol. 

Edited by dogmandont
41 minutes ago, Keaner said:

Please god she come good for you lad you just never know but be wary at the same time.

8 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Please god she come good for you lad you just never know but be wary at the same time.

I'm sort of just hoping she was just a bit overwhelmed with the amount of scent down the earths? Plus she's still young 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Like dilly says if she does it again just walk away, staying close to the earth or calling or even trying to grab the terrier when close to the entrance will only make it stay below. Had one that would stay in an occupied earth but nowhere near the game lol the couple of times he done it when I dug down he was just lying mid tube with nothing near him. Lol. 

Did he come good in the end mate?