Spaniel x terrier how do you find them

jcm

How do the lads who works this cross find them. 

I'm interested in this mix as I think they will make a better busher than a terrier but not hunt as far as a beagle x but still hunt a fair distance. 

I've got a spaniel beagle but he goes abit far most of the time and he covers ground very quick , luckily he's pretty good on recall which I've drummed in to him as a pup but I couldn't call him off scent, I'd defo go for beagle terrier might stay abit closer I was just worried about them dropping to ground hence why I went for the spaniel 

2 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I've got a spaniel beagle but he goes abit far most of the time and he covers ground very quick , luckily he's pretty good on recall which I've drummed in to him as a pup but I couldn't call him off scent, I'd defo go for beagle terrier might stay abit closer I was just worried about them dropping to ground hence why I went for the spaniel 

See I think I need to stay away from the beagle or some thing with very little beagle in it as I car t have a dog hunting to far I still want it to cast out but not go on forever that's why I'm thinking terrier xs spaniel 

4 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I've got s tracking collar for mine which puts me at ease but, I just won't hunt anywhere near roads with mine but prob ok with something that will stay closer 

See where I hunt roads are a couple feilds some places even closer. 

Just now, whitefeet4190 said:

All dogs should have a recall if u out a bit of effort in to them but it's defo worth spending time on with a bushing dog I think, not that u want to call it off scent but if u work tight country then u need a hound that listens ?

Yeah all my dogs have good recal but a hound based bushing dog on a scent is like a running dog on its quarry they throw a deaf ear, my pal runs teckle x terrier and they hunt well and I just think a spaniel x terrier will fit in well with them and my own terrier

10 hours ago, Balaur said:

In all honesty I don't see much difference in temp to a pure cocker, I know lads who've had harder pures than my cocker patt. I'd say he prefers feather to fur, he very biddable, he doesn't range quite as far as I'd like unless he's on hot scent but that can also make for an easy life at times. Brilliant nose great temperament, easy enough to live with. I like to see the action so kept him close range as a pup, if I'd had the experience I'd have encouraged him to work further away, he quarters like a spaniel recall is bang on with a gundog whistle. Retrieves well. I would rather he'd wed to fox and rabbit . But after he'd flushed a few pheasants he was definitely a feather dog. He loves mice and rats so I'm going to make more of an effort to get some ratting perm. Good intro for the kids too. And will keep me busy whilst the runner is laid up with injury.

What would I get next? I'd probably like the same cross with a lesser amount of spaniel. Or maybe gwp lol.....atb Joe

Is yours a first cross aswell? 

I’ve posted on another similar topic JCM. I have a spaniel terrier. He’s not first cross or anything. He’s a mixture or different spaniel types and a couple of different terrier types bred to each other over the years. He looks more like the patterdale side where as some of his litter mates look more like cockers. Bottom line is they are from good worker to worker. He’s not too fussed with feather but I think that’s because I haven’t pushed him that way. He loves rabbiting, ferreting and goes mad if there’s deer around. He would work 7 days a week if he could. The only down side for me is he doesn’t range that far. I put that down to the way I have brought him on though. Think with the right pack he would be away hunting.

B8DB4587-9D4B-44D1-9ADA-6EC9384F1F64.jpeg

• Like 4

They sound the perfect mix to work alongside a lurcher. I like the idea of a cocker/bedlington but I’ve never seen one of this cross. Bedlington terriers seem to be good bushers in there own right, and if there coat is similar to a poodle, they wouldn’t malt either (like a cockerpoo, but with a beddy rather than a poodle). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I just like hearing them speak and it really gees the lurchers up and me ?

I was honestly thinking about a teckle if u know someone with a good line of them I'd be having one of them for bushing to lurchers ??

As a matter of fact I hunt with a couple pure teckles and teckle xs and I find the teckle xs a better mix than the Pures, the Pures are to slow for my liking 

Teckle x pat realy good butch he put her back to a pure and has a bitch pup there at about 9 month old and she is comeing into her own but this bitch is a class little animal doesn't catch in cover but if something is there she will get it moving. 

She does hunt a bit far from time to time but good recall aswell 

IMG_20191215_112700_818.jpg.413e5f5920876695d2e498927b87e48d.jpg

• Like 2