Mildinhall treasure

There is a tiny corpse of wood not far from me, it has a barbed wire fence around it and is very close to the Mway, I have to put the dog on a lead when I cut through it as it often has a few deer in, it’s one of those places you never really feel comfortable like your being watched or something, I recently found out that the biggest collection of roman coins ever found in England was found there, it used to be bigger but the Mway cut through and the coins were found, they ended up being taken abroad and there is a local group that are trying to get them back, Bristol has a lot of Roman history, within a few miles of my house is one of the best mosaic floors in the country a Roman harbour and a section of.road that used to go across the Severn estuary at low tide sadly most of them are in a local council estate or the massive industrial estate at avonmouth 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Greyman said:

There is a tiny corpse of wood not far from me, it has a barbed wire fence around it and is very close to the Mway, I have to put the dog on a lead when I cut through it as it often has a few deer in, it’s one of those places you never really feel comfortable like your being watched or something, I recently found out that the biggest collection of roman coins ever found in England was found there, it used to be bigger but the Mway cut through and the coins were found, they ended up being taken abroad and there is a local group that are trying to get them back, Bristol has a lot of Roman history, within a few miles of my house is one of the best mosaic floors in the country a Roman harbour and a section of.road that used to go across the Severn estuary at low tide sadly most of them are in a local council estate or the massive industrial estate at avonmouth 

Any newspaper links to it?

A guy I just met recently is a detectorist, he told me he found the biggest hoard of roman coins, think he said it was 1978 maybe. He has a bit of a west country accent. Apparently at the time it was worth 400 000 pound!

Ive mentioned before but now and again I see metal detector lads out in the fields under the cover of darkness when lamping in certain areas that I get to now and again,very lamp shy mind, they take off as soon as the lamp hits them . I've tried red/amber/green filters but they always take straight off . ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, Waz said:

Any newspaper links to it?

A guy I just met recently is a detectorist, he told me he found the biggest hoard of roman coins, think he said it was 1978 maybe. He has a bit of a west country accent. Apparently at the time it was worth 400 000 pound!

Sorry I don’t, I was told the story by a local who is involved in the repatriation attempt, I think he said it’s now in Australia if my memory serves me, the dates would be about right as I think the m5 near me was around mid 70s ?

25 minutes ago, MickC said:

Ive mentioned before but now and again I see metal detector lads out in the fields under the cover of darkness when lamping in certain areas that I get to now and again,very lamp shy mind, they take off as soon as the lamp hits them . I've tried red/amber/green filters but they always take straight off . ?

I slipped the dog on two of them a few years back, I’d just caught sight of something laying down in a rut in some heavy plough as I swung the lamp round.

The dog spotted it too so I let him go on an off chance and as the dog got to them they stood up absolutely shitting it saying “woah woah” lol ? 

I just said sorry lads, and we had a bit of a chuckle.

• Like 1

This is the fella I met the other week, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunetio_Hoard

He's lived near me for about 10 years but only met him recently when I bought something from him as he is moving house, the week before he bought a metal detector of my mate, he showed me a few bits he found recently, he gave me an unused .280 rem round which he found near a local chateau where ived hunted.