Anybody plan on breeding wheaten greys this new year?

7 minutes ago, Black neck said:

You kind of said what I would of said if you said summat else lol but going wi the greyhound again may limit the heavy work also  

What would you do

Depends what he wants it for.....see to my mind it’s this:

You add a bit of bull to a saluki grey to just give it something extra

But I can’t  see what a saluki brings to a good wheaton if you get my drift.

Run any dog with saluki blood at its 4th or 5th fox (or whatever) of the night and it’s the saluki blood that will blow up.

I can only see one reason to have a Wheaton cross and saluki blood has no place in there.

Just my humble and very uneducated opinion of course 

If.....and it is only an IF.....if I wanted a Wheaton Cross I’d want to find the most thick as shit pig headed greyhound I could and mix it with a complete head case of a Wheaton.

Youd have fun with an animal like that.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posting pics up for Busher100. Bull/Wheaten and coursing greyhound bitch? should be handy dogs  

1st x.Wheaton bull.dog.single handed.still young.may stud out [BANNED TEXT] older an guaranteed. See how he goes

They’re like fanny pads, every bleeding Cnut has one

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, WILF said:

Well, I suppose it depends what you want to do with it really.......it’s like Sal/bull/grey, tidy all round dogs (I had one myself and really liked him) but you wouldn’t choose it if you had very heavy duty work in mind on a regular basis.

Mines grey/bull/sal mate....

Your right out and out heavy duty work no... but for a bit if everything without too much fuss yes...

I've watched a line bred bull x from a pup, and you really couldn't put enough of anything in front of that dog, a proper animal!!

I get you with adding too much runner for that type of work... 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Run any dog with saluki blood at its 4th or 5th fox (or whatever) of the night and it’s the saluki blood that will blow up.

I can only see one reason to have a Wheaton cross and saluki blood has no place in there.

Fair enough old chap I would of gone for the big whippet but then I'm a bantamweight and heavy work not my thing 

5 minutes ago, WILF said:

If.....and it is only an IF.....if I wanted a Wheaton Cross I’d want to find the most thick as shit pig headed greyhound I could and mix it with a complete head case of a Wheaton.

Youd have fun with an animal like that.

What could possibly go wrong?? Lol

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Black neck said:

Fair enough old chap I would of gone for the big whippet but then I'm a bantamweight and heavy work not my thing 

Real heavy work is not my thing either mate...hence a bit more runner in my dog so every walk out can be rewarding.... I really like the way some of these heavily bull xs work (not seem.emough Wheaton xs work to comment, but get the feeling similar to.a proper bull x)... but I like a varied life!! Lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Black neck said:

Whatever you choose to do it would be nice to see the finished article.

all the best 

Just now, NEWKID said:

Real heavy work is not my thing either mate...hence a bit more runner in my dog so every walk out can be rewarding.... I really like the way some of these heavily bull xs work (not seem.emough Wheaton xs work to comment, but get the feeling similar to.a proper bull x)... but I like a varied life!! Lol

I'm the same 

1 minute ago, WILF said:

all the best 

I'm not doing anything mate I can understand how you got mixed up tho as I have bin hammering on again ?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

all the best 

My mate Joe (Balaur on here) has a very well put together Wheaton x, saw it as a pup then he moved away for a bit, not seen it hunting yet, but the few walks and last trip up the moors I like her.... she hunted hard up the moors with nothing to get at, heard good things about her....looking forward to seeing her go once shes out of the sick bay... I think she is Wheaton x Grey with a little bull.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

My mate Joe (Balaur on here) has a very well put together Wheaton x, saw it as a pup then he moved away for a bit, not seen it hunting yet, but the few walks and last trip up the moors I like her.... she hunted hard up the moors with nothing to get at, heard good things about her....looking forward to seeing her go once shes out of the sick bay... I think she is Wheaton x Grey with a little bull.... 

Just seen the picture of that dog mate, that’s my type of animal.....it looks a real machine.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Balaur said:

Just to add she's 3 and not caught a rabbit lol. But yep had a few bits abroad and no concerns with prey drive, hopefully with the summer on a lead and autumn getting fit we'll have some fun with her...

Did you know the parents mate?

6 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Just to add she's 3 and not caught a rabbit lol. But yep had a few bits abroad and no concerns with prey drive, hopefully with the summer on a lead and autumn getting fit we'll have some fun with 

Be nice to see her on a few long runs next season mate, cursed this year!!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Spindolero on here bred her , yep he owns dam and sire. Has lots info on lines , she's bull/Wheaton/grey not a Wheaton/grey. Almost a half cross. 

Dam Wheaton grey bull grey (hickling stuff mainly)

Sire 3/8 5/8 Wheaton grey out of a father daughter mating. Up in Yorkshire 

• Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, spindolero said:

Dam Wheaton grey bull grey (hickling stuff mainly)

Sire 3/8 5/8 Wheaton grey out of a father daughter mating. Up in Yorkshire 

Ahh, I saw Chris with one of his dogs at a hunt show once.....the dog was everything I like in a dog, big, powerful, athletic, about 28 inch......it was a very, very impressive beast.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1