Working Cocker Spaniel

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Good work mate ?? Anita Jones has a litter coming up from her bitch that’s run in the championship, Jeremy Organ was planning some litters this summer and Andy Platt and Jamie Reed up in Scotland are both good names but hell of a trip up there. 

If you don’t trial yourself it can be difficult to get one off the big names, as they want them going to other trial homes who they know will win awards because it gets their kennel names out there. 

Easier if you want a dog pup as triallers don’t seem so keen on them. 

Hi mate

Thanks for your input......you seem to be clued up where cocker are concerned.......id be looking for a bitch if I get one.....but as it goes the bitches seem to get snapped up real sharp especially out of litters which are worth their salt........and I can see where coming from when you say it's difficult to get a pup of the top end people as they want their kennel names to be recognised.....

Would that Anita Jones be Peter Jones daughter ???

If so he did mention her to me but the pups are not born yet......

What's your opinions on all this health tested parents.......

Would you recommend  getting a pup from health tested parents  ???

Saying that......if  getting a well bred pup from decent working lines and obviously decent breeder......breeding for the right reasons......i would of thought the parents would  of had all the health tests done........would that be so   ???

Cheers

Jay  ?

1 hour ago, jayjay said:

Hi mate

Thanks for your input......you seem to be clued up where cocker are concerned.......id be looking for a bitch if I get one.....but as it goes the bitches seem to get snapped up real sharp especially out of litters which are worth their salt........and I can see where coming from when you say it's difficult to get a pup of the top end people as they want their kennel names to be recognised.....

Would that Anita Jones be Peter Jones daughter ???

If so he did mention her to me but the pups are not born yet......

What's your opinions on all this health tested parents.......

Would you recommend  getting a pup from health tested parents  ???

Saying that......if  getting a well bred pup from decent working lines and obviously decent breeder......breeding for the right reasons......i would of thought the parents would  of had all the health tests done........would that be so   ???

Cheers

Jay  ?

No she is a Jones by marriage. 

Where about in the country are you? 

Re health testing. I would ideally want parents to be tested, but these days people seem to be bragging about how their dogs are health tested clear, when they might be shit workers. 

People will advertise litters with long lists of health tests that the parents have passed as if that’s the be all and end all of the decision to buy their pups ... and have almost no mention of the parents working ability. 

Also as Balaur hinted to, some dogs can be neurotic and wired all the time, where as I know other cocker owners who have field trial champions that live in the house and are well behaved and can switch off lovely. 

Let me know where about you are and I’ll ask about. 

I would really just be looking for parents that do alot of the type of work your looking for if you're wanting a dog for beating try and find a litter off something that does alot of beating all season ive seen dogs on grouse moors that couldn't be used on a shoot where a dog was needed to work closely and vice versa dogs bred from field trial winners are usually alot more expensive and usually no better than a pup from good honest workers the difference is usually they have a really good trainer behind them I would just look for something bred from a worker ive got my first spaniel she has just finished her first season so I'm no expert she is just worker to worker not many trial dogs in her pedigree just honest workers 

• Like 1