Had my eyes opened.

jcm

I have always thought that my little terrier has worked well for me and given me many a good days hunting. 

20180401_140729.jpg.0cecad4957e1702f0353b39dd51a2814.jpg

Then iv started running him with a couple teckle and teckle xs. 

Although in tight cover he does extreamly well, he hunts a little to close as you would expect from a terrier. 

Hunted a wood at the weekend the little hounds were hunting well nice and deep into this wood and the terrier was probably only hunting about 200 yards into the wood and along it whilst these little teckles were deeper in and screaming towards us.

IMG_20191215_112700_818.jpg.38c67557b37fd4807d399d9d58c16a82.jpg

The land we were on I have hunted loads of times and had a few bits off it but one walk out with the little hounds and they were constantly pushing gear out in front of us all day then away back hunting deep into this wood. 

Don't get me wrong as for the terrier he does very well but his nose is not on the same level as the hounds. 

It had me thinking and I think there is always a place for a terrier in a small bushing pack but are they as versatile a bushing dog as I had thought. Maybe not. 

For the last few years I have been toying with the idea to get some sort of bushing dog in to run with my terrier. I have seen a few hound xs work and they are very good at what they do, however I have yet to see a spaniel xs work so maybe once I have seen a spaniel based bushing dog work I could make a more informed decision on what would work for me and the ground I hunt. 

Food for thought as they say. 

• Like 6

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have always thought that my little terrier has worked well for me and given me many a good days hunting.  Then iv started running him with a couple teckle and teckle xs.  Although in

2 beaglecocker bitches I’ve had the pleasure to own atb cbx 

https://www.bds.org.uk/index.php/research/deer-distribution-survey Scroll down a bit and it has the links for different maps for different types of deer. 2016 but can't find any later.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

That looks to be a really cracking , useful wee tyke...I bet it is exciting to have a mouch out with..:clapper:

It is, she's a realy good dog tbh and my pal also had a pup outa her back to a teckle about 8 months doing very well tbh. 

• Like 1

Terriers are great ditch hunting dogs,but when it comes to hunting woods big covers and banks you cant beat teagles,teckels are good to, they just lack a bit of leg but great dogs if your keeping them with similar sized bushers,my personal preference is Springer beagles small dash of terrier to do no harm,

28 minutes ago, mighty celt said:

Terriers are great ditch hunting dogs,but when it comes to hunting woods big covers and banks you cant beat teagles,teckels are good to, they just lack a bit of leg but great dogs if your keeping them with similar sized bushers,my personal preference is Springer beagles small dash of terrier to do no harm,

Totaly agree however when iv seen the beagle xs hunt they did hunt very far probably to far for what I need. 

Regarding spaniel x beagle I havnt seen one hunt so carnt judge 

4 minutes ago, chrisbullx said:

Beaglecocker my favourite busher & easy train atb cbx 

Hopefully get a chance to get out with one or two this season so I can see them for my self. 

Do you find them traveling realy far? 

16 minutes ago, jcm said:

Hopefully get a chance to get out with one or two this season so I can see them for my self. 

Do you find them traveling realy far? 

If you mean go into forestry blocks etc on a line yes mate & ul have endless of fun with them hitting up gear but more biddable than pure beagle I have found with my experience like atb cbx 

• Like 1

I've just got back into a bit a bushing myself I run just a 3/4 spaniel 1/4 beagle with a terrier  and she's exactly what I wanted she hunts like hell with the terrier I have, and is marking all ready at 11 months when she puts something up she barks but she will give nose to anything fur or feather but I'll put up with it I also have a beagle / cocker  the same age abit slower to start but he will get his chance. I've dug to 7 red fellas now due to her marking em.  The cousin has knocked a few on the gun she has flushed out.