Sober New Year?

Anyone abstaining from the booze?

I’ve never bothered with New Years resolution bollocks, but for the last 3 New Years I have done the first 3 months of the year sober. It’s dull as f**k & social situations are painful ?, but after a few weeks I feel great.

This year will be slightly longer as I will wait until our holiday in the middle of April before taking a drink. I know it sounds sad, but it’s hard going in a land full of such great f***ing beer! 

• Like 6

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I packed up drinking when I was 24, now it’s limited to the very rare occasion if I feel like a beer with a meal or some special occasion when it feels right. I have never missed it at all, ever.

Don’t sound sad at all mate.......I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here before  but I don’t drink at all now and realistically can’t ever see myself drinking again......yes there will be times lif

Try these mate. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

Don’t sound sad at all mate.......I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here before :whistling: but I don’t drink at all now and realistically can’t ever see myself drinking again......yes there will be times life seems dull and boring but waking up every day fresh and ready to go, money in the bank instead of behind the bar and none of all the other shit that comes with drinking far outweighs that in my own personal opinion......I started off doing months here and there but they trick you into thinking you don’t have a problem (not saying you do lol) and it’s easier when you know you will drink again at some point.....I’m 1017 days sober and don’t miss it one bit :nono: best thing I ever did :yes: but still to this day I know that one gulp of a cold refreshing lager would go down sooooo nice but it would lead to a whole load of shit that just ain’t worth it now!

Anyway best not go on about it to much or I’ll be called an attention seeker lol

good luck with your break :thumbs:

Edited by Stoney100
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
11 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Anyone abstaining from the booze?

I’ve never bothered with New Years resolution bollocks, but for the last 3 New Years I have done the first 3 months of the year sober. It’s dull as f**k & social situations are painful ?, but after a few weeks I feel great.

This year will be slightly longer as I will wait until our holiday in the middle of April before taking a drink. I know it sounds sad, but it’s hard going in a land full of such great f***ing beer! 

I've not had a drink in nearly a year , don't bother me tbh .. new years eve will be a sober one to 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Chid said:

I've not had a drink in nearly a year , don't bother me tbh .. new years eve will be a sober one to 

I’ve done a whole year 10 years ago. I really missed the social side of it, but it was a challenge I set & completed. Though when the clock struck 1 year I was downing a whisky! ?

1 minute ago, Accip74 said:

I’ve done a whole year 10 years ago. I really missed the social side of it, but it was a challenge I set & completed. Though when the clock struck 1 year I was downing a whisky! ?

I thought I missed the social side to......untill I started going to play a few games of pool with the old crowd on a Friday night and realised what a bunch of f***ing idiots they all look after a few beers lol 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Don’t sound sad at all mate.......I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here before :whistling: but I don’t drink at all now and realistically can’t ever see myself drinking again......yes there will be times life seems dull and boring but waking up every day fresh and ready to go, money in the bank instead of behind the bar and none of all the other shit that comes with drinking far outweighs that in my own personal opinion......I started off doing months here and there but they trick you into thinking you don’t have a problem (not saying you do lol) and it’s easier when you know you will drink again at some point.....I’m 1017 days sober and don’t miss it one bit :nono: best thing I ever did :yes: but still to this day I know that one gulp of a cold refreshing lager would go down sooooo nice but it would lead to a whole load of shit that just ain’t worth it now!

Anyway best no go on about it to much or I’ll be called an attention seeker lol

good luck with your break :thumbs:

Your bang on there. Think I am heading for ten years in or some thing like that. I don't miss it any more and have plenty of other stuff I would be much rather doing. This is from some one who hit the pub nearly  every night and spent weekends in a coma ? Dread to think of the money I spent. I could bought bleeding house lol. Nothing wrong with it mind but each to there own. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

I thought I missed the social side to......untill I started going to play a few games of pool with the old crowd on a Friday night and realised what a bunch of f***ing idiots they all look after a few beers lol 

Yeah I totally get that mate, I’ve been there! But I was thinking more of meals out with couples etc or dinner round people’s houses...... it’s those few glasses of wine that can really make a difference for me, otherwise Im making my excuses & leaving early...?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Yeah I totally get that mate, I’ve been there! But I was thinking more of meals out with couples etc or dinner round people’s houses...... it’s those few glasses of wine that can really make a difference for me, otherwise Im making my excuses & leaving early...?

Lol yeah them kind of nights it would be nice to have a few tbf mate and if you can keep it like that then it’s all good

11 minutes ago, terryd said:

Your bang on there. Think I am heading for ten years in or some thing like that. I don't miss it any more and have plenty of other stuff I would be much rather doing. This is from some one who hit the pub nearly  every night and spent weekends in a coma ? Dread to think of the money I spent. I could bought bleeding house lol. Nothing wrong with it mind but each to there own. 

Same here mate lol

I could never, ever just go for one beer and go home......I’d go pub till I was drunk and got thrown out then the shop on way home for 8 Stella’s to drink at home at i would still be wanting more after! 

Like you say tho it’s each to their own and there’s no point in preaching to folk as they won’t listen like I never listened either.......some things you just have to learn the hard way and drinkings definitely one of them lol

well done on ten years to mate, excellent going that :thumbs:

I tend to stop for a few months after new year most years...I'm a social drinker only, theres drink here in the cupboard from presents or parties round here that never gets opened...theres alcoholism problems in my family, I know the downsides only too well....I'm lucky I guess in if I have a good night and enjoy myself that's it until the next social...

I know we are all twats one way or another in drink as well, nothing worse than the sober one telking you what a nob you were the night before.... I dont want to know!! Lol

Well done to the lads who have gone completely sober, its not the drink for me I enjoy the social environment...and perhaps its damning on us that it involves drink...like I say well done lads, great will power...keep it up..

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Bunch of fannys.get on it and the class A's.

Nothing worse than a drunk straightened out on the gear....iratating as f**k.... few old mates like it, pretend they dont touch the gear, un the toilet every 5 minutes and talking shit at 100 miles an hour....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, NEWKID said:

Nothing worse than a drunk straightened out on the gear....iratating as f**k.... few old mates like it, pretend they dont touch the gear, un the toilet every 5 minutes and talking shit at 100 miles an hour....

Sorts your hangover out a treat though.

4 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Sorts your hangover out a treat though.

I'll have to take your word for that mate, it's not my game....but by f**k I'd take a line some mornings I feel that rough now I'm over 40! Lol