Sober New Year?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I packed up drinking when I was 24, now it’s limited to the very rare occasion if I feel like a beer with a meal or some special occasion when it feels right. I have never missed it at all, ever.

Don’t sound sad at all mate.......I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here before  but I don’t drink at all now and realistically can’t ever see myself drinking again......yes there will be times lif

Try these mate. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

Well, I’m the worlds worst c**t about almost everything, but I really have found Stoneys post interesting and sincere.

It seems like the words of a bloke who has been through the mill and drink was a massive contributing factor......now he is clean of it and proud and rightfully so.

He is also reflective and honest and that takes a bit of bollocks in my book so good on you son......keep moving in a forward direction ;) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, WILF said:

Well, I’m the worlds worst c**t about almost everything, but I really have found Stoneys post interesting and sincere.

It seems like the words of a bloke who has been through the mill and drink was a massive contributing factor......now he is clean of it and proud and rightfully so.

He is also reflective and honest and that takes a bit of bollocks in my book so good on you son......keep moving in a forward direction ;) 

In real life he is much like he is on here ,a pleasant ,personable young man who is the honest ,wears his heart on his sleeve type of bender .

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

If you dont mind me asking. How did the drinking end up getting out of hand ? Serious question was it through  boredom? My mate that's mad for it lives himself and has f**k all to do so has a drink 

Good question tbh mate.......one that’s hard to answer but I’ll try as you asked lol

I wouldn’t say boredom as I was out most of the time, pool team, clubbing etc but even at 18 people were always telling me to slow down and take me time as I’d be downing pints trying to get as drunk as possible in record time. 

I’d say I was about 24 when I started drinking the next day as a “hair of the dog” to get rid of hangovers but then I’d get drunk that day, so would drink again the next day to feel better and then your stuck in its trap.

As I said above it’s when you start drinking on your own that the trouble starts.......joining this site/Facebook etc was probably a reason to tbh as it gave me an excuse to sit at home and drink on my own while coming online and of course the fact I just simply liked the buzz so much....we all look back and think where did the time go but when you’ve spent them years drinking it’s goes even quicker as you can’t remember half of it anyways.

Like your mate I thought there was nothing else to do but ill happily tell you now in 20 days time when I’m on that plane to Thailand for 4 weeks I’ll be glad that I stayed in most weekends, took the dogs out more, brought some decks, brought a drone, held down a decent job, built up my own business and got new customers etc etc the list just goes on and on but it will all only start when you say to yourself thats enough as no one else can do it but yourself (or himself) and that’s what folk just can’t seem to understand no matter how hard you try to explain it. You can do the most expensive rehab in the world but it will mean nothing if you don’t truly want to stop.

I always say drinking was like running down a tunnel with an big elastic band tied to your back......at the end of the tunnel is a normal everyday life of just doing the nice normal things that normal everyday people do......you’d get so far to the end, have a drink and the band would just fire you a million miles past the start line and your worse than you were before so it starts all over again.......and again......and again till enough is enough.

i hope your pal gets sorted tho mate, look up a few AA or NA meetings local to you and suggest you’ll go along with him if he wants to try one......he might not appreciate you sticking your nose in at first but it might just get him on the road to recovery and be the best thing anyone could of done for him in a couple of years time :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sober Christmas and New Year for me but mainly because I'll be working the majority of it. Looking at 31st I won't finish until the early hours anyway. Not really bothered about it, TBH, as every New Year has been an anti-climax since 1999 and even that one was colossal waste of money.

Like most I did the British high street culture. When the kids came along finances forced me to take it a lot easier and even though I drink more than your average Russian I'd much rather sit out around the campfire with a couple of feet of snow on the ground drinking good whiskey and smoking excellent cigars, after an enormous BBQ, with good company. I don't need a special occasion for that though any day with a Y in it. Just a message that the brisket is on and wait for the replies. It's always a small circle these days but I've learned that quality is always better than quantity in every sense of the word. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all! :thumbs:

• Like 4

For fucks sake.i've just been to brussels christmas market.

There was this bloke pissed as f**k.doing helicopters with his cock,powder all over his face,sick all down his shirt,starting fights whilst munching a kebab shouting "i'm accip do you f***ing want some c**t"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
13 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

The pubs closing are not a result of people drinking less, it’s because people are drinking more and they are drinking at home because it’s cheaper to buy it by the crate instead of in pints......the breweries are better off selling it in supermarkets than pubs now, less overheads/wages etc and they can sell unlimited amounts of it as the supermarkets can just stock it up till its sells. 

It’s all well and good saying drink has positives and is a British institution but ask up your local A&E what their thoughts are on it, for every friendship it makes it breaks 100 more and drink has killed more people than any other drug EVER, last year more people died from drink or drink related accidents/attacks etc than the whole of all the illegal drugs put together so to say it’s harmless is just delusional IMHO :thumbs:

Figures don’t lie, yes millions of people drink it and don’t get in a mess with it, but that doesn’t make the fact that millions do get in a mess with it any better.

The real trouble begins if you start drinking alone imo, even just a glass of wine or a can a night......if you do that then it’s a problem because it instantly removes the “social side of it” claim and proves your just here for the beer so to speak.

I’m not an anti social person at all, I love being out an about meeting new people......one thing i can honestly say from the bottom of my heart is that the amount of new people I’ve met, the new businesses that I deal with on the scrap, the countries I’ve been to, the normal everyday people I meet that have never seen me drunk are far more interesting and mean a lot more to me than listening to someone talking the same old bollocks every night in a pub, getting glassed or stabbed and going home with no money.

I should also add that there’s going for a quiet little drink to get “a bit tipsy” and then there’s going for an unadulterated, no holds barred, let’s get absolutely battered on a weds night type drink......the two are obviously different, you can’t even compare them. 

If you can go for one pint and leave it at that then fair play, you won’t see it from a big drinkers perspective and I often wish I could of done just that myself but not a chance lol

If, however, that one pint sets off the trigger and you know what’s about to happen then you would be a fool to continue it as it will catch up with you one day. 

Two things you can’t argue with are science and maths and both tell us alcohol worldwide is the most dangerous drug available to man :thumbs:

Smoking kills far more people than alcohol i think the figure worldwide is something like 4 times as many........they say substances are responsible for 1 in 5 deaths globally but a lot of nations only use alcohol with a meal Italians for example view drunkeness as uncouth and bad mannered and use it in the right way.

You cant say that because some people have problems with alcohol that means alcohol or " the British pub " is a bad thing......more people die from obesity than alcohol but nobody says restaurants are a bad thing....f**k me how far do you want to take it over a million people per year die in road crashes are we to say that cars are bad ?.....like anything people have to be sensible and do things in moderation we are all grown adults who make decisions just because some people make bad decisions doesnt make the thing itself bad theres already far too many do,s and donts in our lives.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Smoking kills far more people than alcohol i think the figure worldwide is something like 4 times as many........they say substances are responsible for 1 in 5 deaths globally but a lot of nations only use alcohol with a meal Italians for example view drunkeness as uncouth and bad mannered and use it in the right way.

You cant say that because some people have problems with alcohol that means alcohol or " the British pub " is a bad thing......more people die from obesity than alcohol but nobody says restaurants are a bad thing....f**k me how far do you want to take it over a million people per year die in road crashes are we to say that cars are bad ?.....like anything people have to be sensible and do things in moderation we are all grown adults who make decisions just because some people make bad decisions doesnt make the thing itself bad theres already far too many do,s and donts in our lives.

Slightly off topic, but why do the media get hysterical about deaths involving aeroplanes, helicopters or terrorism? There's over 700 murders per year in the UK and over 26000 deaths or serious injuries by car accidents. People accept that these things happen routinely. But the comparatively tiny number of deaths  involving air accidents or at the hands of some nut job spouting religious or political hatred, are covered by the media for weeks and months. Even more off topic, why do the news media still faithfully report every mass shooting in America? I for one have got compassion fatigue. I would rather the media covered events closer to home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ginger beard said:

For fucks sake.i've just been to brussels christmas market.

There was this bloke pissed as f**k.doing helicopters with his cock,powder all over his face,sick all down his shirt,starting fights whilst munching a kebab shouting "i'm accip do you f***ing want some c**t"

Sorry you had to see that mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I've got that IBS too bird. Irritable b*****d syndrome, it seems to get worse with every passing year.?

it deff does mate, it really controls your life, your constantly  watching what you eat,  cant have this cant have that ,  ok it might not kill you , but bloody hell, it drags you down, and as you say every year. what was that    Mush   fructose breath test thing any more info mate ,??

23 minutes ago, bird said:

it deff does mate, it really controls your life, your constantly  watching what you eat,  cant have this cant have that ,  ok it might not kill you , but bloody hell, it drags you down, and as you say every year. what was that    Mush   fructose breath test thing any more info mate ,??

Two types of problems with Fructose. 

Straight up allergic = hereditary and very dangerous

Intolerance = a big cause of IBS

If you have intolerance, what happens is the fructose is passed through into your gut and basically turns to hydrogen (that's what they test for). So they give a breath test to identify hydrogen in your breath.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastroenterology_hepatology/clinical_services/specialty_services/breath_testing.html

Most Drs will not offer the test, so demand it ;)

4 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing mate, especially not pubs and a quiet pleasant drink, but that’s not how it is for everyone.

On the obesity, actually yes people do say certain types of restaurants like McDonald’s etc are a bad thing, they get blamed for that all the time, but that’s just the business they are in and no one forces you to go in there the same as a pub or bookies.

You are right about it’s a grown adults decision whether to drink/take drugs/smoke etc I choose not to drink, others do......I have my reasons for not doing it and others have their reasons for doing it and as long as both sides are happy then it’s all good :thumbs: