Sober New Year?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I packed up drinking when I was 24, now it’s limited to the very rare occasion if I feel like a beer with a meal or some special occasion when it feels right. I have never missed it at all, ever.

Don’t sound sad at all mate.......I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here before  but I don’t drink at all now and realistically can’t ever see myself drinking again......yes there will be times lif

Try these mate. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stoney100 said:

My problem was I loved the drinking side of it lol for me getting absolutely battered was my soul aim as soon my lips touched that first sip......nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing) mattered, if I was stood at a bar with half a pint left I’d already be thinking of my next one more than carrying on the random conversation I was having over the bowl of peanuts that people dip their hands in after going for a piss lol

i was pretty f***ing good at drinking tbh, I’d be the first in the pub and the last one out most nights and still be looking for a shop or a session going on after. But when it got so bad I was drinking before work and trying to stop it but failing miserably every time, no money, put on weight, fell out with everyone I could i realised that it wasn’t so clever after all and I should do summat about it lol

And that’s when it hit me how hard it is to actually just say “right no more of that” and stop, I wanted to but just couldn’t no matter what I tried! 

Like at the comp with you and that other guy (Mickc?) drinking that whiskey at 4am on Daniel cains Mitsubishi bonnet lol....everyone else was sparked out cold and done for the weekend but I just never wanted a session to end so would drag it out as far as possible lol when I left you and went to the trailer tent I went to my van and got two cans of Stella out I had stashed in there and drank them while ripping bits of cold muntjac off the leg joint on the barbecue till I’d had enough then went and collapsed in the tent lol

nights like that I do miss but it’s the fact I could just never drink enough to get drunk as everyone else around me that I knew I drank more than most people......I’d see people getting drunk after 6 Stella’s and I’d just be getting going lol

Some will call it weak minded and maybe it is but the facts are alcohol does create its own trap......it takes away the pain that its caused and it’s a never ending circle IF you let it happen and I know I’ll soon go down that road again if I started again so it’s just easier to stay away from it lol

There’s a massive difference between having a drink and being a drinker :thumbs:

Yea when your in first thing in the morning drinking what been pulled through cleaning the pipes and then drink every one under the table until closing you know its times to revaluate ? On the plus side i met the wife and luckly she straightened me out bless her 

10 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Played in a band s few years back, we had a manager who liked to put anything he could find in his body...

We played a Guilfest and this bloke got a load of MDMA, we were playing on the Sunday afternoon, but decided to do the whole weekend and have a party..me my brother and the manager are sat outside at the end of the Saturday night, we're having a beer and he drops a load of MDMA...20 minutes later he was a right mess, crawling about, urging, talking shit, eyes f***ing wild.. kept saying I'm ok.... didn't look it to me....it was sad to see, he was a 45 year old father of 2....f***ing mess....like most on.here the opportunities are endless with drugs, its everywhere...just not my game...I'm.a piss head at times and that's bad enough.

It made me evaluate my life.it really did.

I'm applying for my australian visa but not sure now because i don't want it after that.i see blokes from 21 to 60 earning good money but have nothing to show for it back home.just doing it to fund a drink and drugs lifestyle.living out of hotels,not being their for his wife and kids.i still want to go to aus but the travelling,slaughterman,shearer lifestyle is like that and i couldn't avoid it and neither could my will power.

We'll see.

58 minutes ago, WILF said:

I packed up drinking when I was 24, now it’s limited to the very rare occasion if I feel like a beer with a meal or some special occasion when it feels right.

I have never missed it at all, ever......one look at these sad c**ts propping up the same 2 ft of bar space that they did when we was young men is enough to put anyone off.

Plus, I think as you get older your tolerance for pricks gets less and less, I don’t have much time for them sober and pissed it would be a disaster.

As for class A, if you are still f***ing about with all that shit in your 40s then you are one sad f****r who should have got out and got amongst it a lot more when you was the right age to be doing it......make no mistake, you look like a prick doing it now ! 

It’s quite true about class A’s mate. I’ve done coke 3 times in the last 8 years & the last time was this year in Copenhagen! I felt sad as fcuk in a bar full of people half my age ?? Never again........ hopefully, but that said it’s the same for smoking cigarettes . I gave them up at 31 & when I see friends still smoking in their 40s it looks sad as fcuk, plus my old mum in  her 70s, it’s absolutely pathetic really!

but somehow drink escapes that social stigma & it’s no better than a fag & line of coke really......

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

As I said, it’s so rare that I have a drink when I do the company, situation and atmosphere has to feel just right or I won’t even bother.

Its never bothered me drinking soft drinks or tea or coffee when everyone else is getting battered but I know a lot of people can’t do it.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

It’s quite true about class A’s mate. I’ve done coke 3 times in the last 8 years & the last time was this year in Copenhagen! I felt sad as fcuk in a bar full of people half my age ?? Never again........ hopefully, but that said it’s the same for smoking cigarettes . I gave them up at 31 & when I see friends still smoking in their 40s it looks sad as fcuk, plus my old mum in  her 70s, it’s absolutely pathetic really!

but somehow drink escapes that social stigma & it’s no better than a fag & line of coke really......

I agree mate, even with the fags and I smoked like a chimney for 35 years.

Fags are shit but the only thing I will ever say is that nobody ever went home and knocked f**k out the old woman or woke up in a strange place with a brass after too many Benson & Hedges ! Lol 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

My problem was I loved the drinking side of it lol for me getting absolutely battered was my soul aim as soon my lips touched that first sip......nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing) mattered, if I was stood at a bar with half a pint left I’d already be thinking of my next one more than carrying on the random conversation I was having over the bowl of peanuts that people dip their hands in after going for a piss lol

i was pretty f***ing good at drinking tbh, I’d be the first in the pub and the last one out most nights and still be looking for a shop or a session going on after. But when it got so bad I was drinking before work and trying to stop it but failing miserably every time, no money, put on weight, fell out with everyone I could i realised that it wasn’t so clever after all and I should do summat about it lol

And that’s when it hit me how hard it is to actually just say “right no more of that” and stop, I wanted to but just couldn’t no matter what I tried! 

Like at the comp with you and that other guy (Mickc?) drinking that whiskey at 4am on Daniel cains Mitsubishi bonnet lol....everyone else was sparked out cold and done for the weekend but I just never wanted a session to end so would drag it out as far as possible lol when I left you and went to the trailer tent I went to my van and got two cans of Stella out I had stashed in there and drank them while ripping bits of cold muntjac off the leg joint on the barbecue till I’d had enough then went and collapsed in the tent lol

nights like that I do miss but it’s the fact I could just never drink enough to get drunk as everyone else around me that I knew I drank more than most people......I’d see people getting drunk after 6 Stella’s and I’d just be getting going lol

Some will call it weak minded and maybe it is but the facts are alcohol does create its own trap......it takes away the pain that its caused and it’s a never ending circle IF you let it happen and I know I’ll soon go down that road again if I started again so it’s just easier to stay away from it lol

There’s a massive difference between having a drink and being a drinker :thumbs:

But you don't like to mention it or you'd be attention seeking. ?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 2

Drink is Satan's urine, I went to play cards at a blokes house the other month and after a few cans I ended up pissing myself and generally acting like a c*nt and the house owner wasn't too pleased I can tell you! If he ever finds out I took a sloppy shit in his kitchen sink he'd be fcuking livid....

• Haha 7

Part timers annoy me. Went to Bookers on Wednesday and got my Xmas booze. Dalwhinnie single malt. Kendricks gin. Cockburns port. Stole vodka. Jack Daniels and to wrap it up a nice bottle of Hennessy. 6 cases of Ausi wine and a couple of slabs of beer. Might of missed a few bits out but that's Xmas for you. Have a great sober Xmas guys. Jok.

• Like 1

Work’s do on Friday, drinking all sorts of shite bought by the young team. Still not right now ?

I probably only drink about a dozen times in a year now..., and usually only enjoy it socially when I’m drinking with mates I’ve had all my life. I’ll likely be off it the first month or two of the new year but wouldn’t want to knock it on the head altogether. Each to their own and I enjoy it but ‘sparingly’ these days.

Edited by pesky1972
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, WILF said:

I agree mate, even with the fags and I smoked like a chimney for 35 years.

Fags are shit but the only thing I will ever say is that nobody ever went home and knocked f**k out the old woman or woke up in a strange place with a brass after too many Benson & Hedges ! Lol 

Yeah that’s true enough...... a cuppa tea & a fag is a pretty safe situation (my favourite)

but obviously not long term! ?

23 minutes ago, dytkos said:

But you don't like to mention it or you'd be attention seeking. ?

Cheers, D.

Lol i do know how it sounds when I go on about it tbh mate and it does sound like I am but it’s not meant like that at all.....I think I’ve just spoke about it to so many different kinds of people that it just flows out naturally now lol but I do understand people get sick of hearing about it, I do understand people don’t really give to flying fucks if I’m sober or not, I do understand THL is not an AA meeting and there’s and time and a place for it but at the same time there might be just that one person who reads it and decides to get sober and their life in order as they read it can be done and it’s well worth it......admittedly that person is probably not a regular poster :D but you never know :thumbs:

• Like 3