Just popped out for an hour. I do so love a 410?.

A little bit of sun in this cold wind was nice.

I noticed the buck rabbits are getting frisky too which was nice to see too.

My dog enjoyed working them too and she lifted a pheasant too.

GIF-191214_141243.gif.ba34a3cce072486cfe7a73ce8e66adc7.gif

Never seen so many pheasants about this year, there was 14 hens in the back yard today. One hen was old and in cock phase. I told the Mrs whom immediately started to laugh saying " you do that'!

SD.

• Like 1

I think she was referring to acting like a cock! The morning or night thing doesn't really get noticed anymore....?

Hen pheasants start turning back into cocks when they get old, like women growing moustaches and beards I guess, or is that just a Welsh thing?

Always nice to see a photo of someone with a cock in their hand. 

It's not really a sex change. It's just their plumage. 

Maybe it's a bit like older roe does growing antlers? 

It's more like they start crossdressing in their old age. 

• Haha 1

Donks ago when I were a lad; at school, I did a project about caponising chicken. We hatched out eggs and when they were grown a bit we injected a hormone pill under the skin at the back of the cocks necks.  These cocks grew big but were not turning into cockerells.  As time wore on and the project came towards the end, it became time for them to go on holiday. By this time the hormone pellet was beginning to wear off and these massive cocks were getting blooming aggressive.  It was he'll of a job to wring their  necks. They were flipping good eating though.  Nowadays school children wouldn't be allowed to do projects like this.

Just like butter rich roasted they were. It's a wonder we didn't start growing a pair or a much larger one what with the hormones involved. I might have been effected by this. ?

I don't suppose anyone knows where you'd get stuff like that now. ????

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Meece said:

Donks ago when I were a lad; at school, I did a project about caponising chicken. We hatched out eggs and when they were grown a bit we injected a hormone pill under the skin at the back of the cocks necks.  These cocks grew big but were not turning into cockerells.  As time wore on and the project came towards the end, it became time for them to go on holiday. By this time the hormone pellet was beginning to wear off and these massive cocks were getting blooming aggressive.  It was he'll of a job to wring their  necks. They were flipping good eating though.  Nowadays school children wouldn't be allowed to do projects like this.

Just like butter rich roasted they were. It's a wonder we didn't start growing a pair or a much larger one what with the hormones involved. I might have been effected by this. ?

I don't suppose anyone knows where you'd get stuff like that now. ????

I wouldn't have a clue....

But If you find out let me know. 

Well not necessarily so. We could be talking outriggers though. But a #6 out of a 410 has exactly the same mass and velocity as it does from any other bore size. Years ago when Eley used to be THE cartridge there was the diary in which they used to state that it took about 3-4 pellets of 0.8 flb to kill game. A 2--3/4  four long will have a charge of about 1/2 oz of #6 which with half choke will be capable out to 35 yards.    So if you put the lead on the target it should do the job. A 3" would be even better. Fun for clays of a summer evening if a little expensive. Thats a fair ole moderator on that thing.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Meece said:

Well not necessarily so. We could be talking outriggers though. But a #6 out of a 410 has exactly the same mass and velocity as it does from any other bore size. Years ago when Eley used to be THE cartridge there was the diary in which they used to state that it took about 3-4 pellets of 0.8 flb to kill game. A 2--3/4  four long will have a charge of about 1/2 oz of #6 which with half choke will be capable out to 35 yards.    So if you put the lead on the target it should do the job. A 3" would be even better. Fun for clays of a summer evening if a little expensive. Thats a fair ole moderator on that thing.

I remember the little diaries, they had some good info in them.

This bird was taken with a reload involving h110, kitchen toweling, thin cards and 3/4oz of #8 sent to me by Baldcoot on here ?.

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I remember the little diaries, they had some good info in them.

This bird was taken with a reload involving h110, kitchen toweling, thin cards and 3/4oz of #8 sent to me by Baldcoot on here ?.

Thats for the 3" yeah ?  a 3/4 load is like a 16 load. Thats more  than my 28,  and that chops stuff down like lightning.

Ps. If a sportsman true you'd be listen carefully to me ....

Edited by Meece
11 hours ago, Meece said:

Thats for the 3" yeah ?  a 3/4 load is like a 16 load. Thats more  than my 28,  and that chops stuff down like lightning.

Ps. If a sportsman true you'd be listen carefully to me ....

3" yes but I have got 3/4oz in 2&1/2" too. Just about.

I've always lent towards the Gough Thomas doctrine of the theoretical square load along with open choke and small shot. A wider shorter shooter shot column to get a better denser shot Patten with less shot distortion and less.  I'm sure that you would love to have a wander with my AyA #2 rounded action with it's 3/4 loads of #6 or  #'7.   Father was a bit of an advocate of #7 shot back in the day when Eley grand prix 1-1/16 of #5 was the norm used on everything from a rat to an elephant.

1 hour ago, Meece said:

I've always lent towards the Gough Thomas doctrine of the theoretical square load along with open choke and small shot. A wider shorter shooter shot column to get a better denser shot Patten with less shot distortion and less.  I'm sure that you would love to have a wander with my AyA #2 rounded action with it's 3/4 loads of #6 or  #'7.   Father was a bit of an advocate of #7 shot back in the day when Eley grand prix 1-1/16 of #5 was the norm used on everything from a rat to an elephant.

Meece, I have loaded hundreds of 3/4oz loads in 12g. And 7/8oz. Plenty good to be honest.

However, I don't fuss over the square load thing. In saying that I don't advocate more is better. There is only so much one can do without drastic diminishing returns.

The main reason for the heavy shot load in this 410 is that it makes it subsonic.

I also do a load of 1/4oz for the garden on green dot.

#7 is also a favourite of mine also. You don't need a large pellet to break birds necks and heads! #7 is very good in my cylinder muzzleloaders too.