SUPER POACHERS ??????

1 hour ago, stumfelter said:

You've been reading tales of the old poachers again haven't you Micky, by my calculations you must be at least 143 years old! Next you'll be telling us how the keepers used to set man traps and you could be sent to the colonies for stealing thruppence , etc, etc....

I don't know micky whatsoever, but I can assure you, there certainly were some keepers in certain parts of the country that would indeed, with a little help from locals etc, give you a damned good hiding if they caught you. And not that long ago either

• Like 3

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. 68 and still above ground mate, still ferreting three days a week if I can this time of year. Fishing in the summer, fungi and foraging in the autumn. Use it or lose it. Cheers Arry

think the art of stealthy poaching went out the window when people started lobbing bull crosses out of subarus and tearing up fields , then plastering catch pics all over facebook , I count myself luc

No mobile phones no hidden cameras no old bill in fekin helicopters us that did a bit from the 70s to the early 90s had easey compaired to now days.lol

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

I don't know micky whatsoever, but I can assure you, there certainly were some keepers in certain parts of the country that would indeed, with a little help from locals etc, give you a damned good hiding if they caught you. And not that long ago either

Can I take it these keepers didn't possess shotgun certs?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

I for one used to like going on my own, when your on your own you know especially in a dark wood  who the enemy is, went with a couple of mates and one was so nervous he used to spook us so never again.,as for keepers ive been shot at over my head once when lamping with a friend. One thing i will say is poaching can be bloody hard work.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

My dad told me about his rottie, scary animal from what he said 

I had a couple of dealings with the chap who supplied him with the said dog and he told me he wish he had never let him have this dog as it was a liability and he said Walker was even scared of the dog.

13 hours ago, steve66 said:

Was one ray walker ?

Ye mate we called him Bant he was from Greasbrough nr Rotherham originally but moved around keepering and l believe ended up living in castlford only ever had one run in with him when he chased us in a 4x4 one night wile lamping wile we hid in the wood we could see him going round my mates motor and to be fair after he had gone when we got back to it no damage was done to it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Can I take it these keepers didn't possess shotgun certs?

They did not exist all you needed was a Gun Licence 7/6 d  from the Post office ( 37.1/2 Pence) and for a few years in the 60s  you needed nothing all you had to be was 16 years old and you could buy as many as you wanted to.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, micky said:

They did not exist all you needed was a Gun Licence 7/6 d  from the Post office ( 37.1/2 Pence) and for a few years in the 60s  you needed nothing all you had to be was 16 years old and you could buy as many as you wanted to.

Remember a time when you could buy shotguns out of family catalogues 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Remember it myself trying to remember what airguns were in them remember relum tornados and the other relum model think the shotguns were the Russian biakal .

thought they where webly and bsa , long time ago lol, struggle to remember last week these days ??

• Like 2