Where to find Breeders(Ferreting)

On 14/12/2019 at 21:53, Furrosious ferreter said:

I have been under the impression that if you leave a jill in season it can cause their estrigen levels to go up and cause poor health and baldness.

But i have heard that they can take themselves out of season on logs and rocks in their enclosure.

I dont know how true this is though.

FF

I have never done owt with my jills and never had a problem but this has happened to one of my jills this year. She lost a lot of weight and a lot of hair, was awful seeing her. I was on the verge of PTS. Bit of extra care, she came through though and is back to normal now.

It was no state to see one of your animals in. I was proper kicking myself.

I will be having a vas hob over her and my other jill from now on.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 14/12/2019 at 06:29, TOMO said:

firstly.....im sure I read actual ferreting (hunting rabbits) in the usa is banned....or at least in some states .....also the American cotton tail doesn't really live In warrens the way they do here in Europe....I think they use burrows other animals have made or just a simple burrow for breeding ....and I think they spend less time using these burrows...

having said all the above I don't suppose it would harm to give it a try ....maybe a dog or two ..to get the rabbits to ground....

You're correct...the American cotton tail rabbit doesn't live in burrows.   The female digs a shallow hole and covers it with grass for her litter.  Ferreting is illegal in many, if not all, states.  I don't know of any US  breeder who actually uses them for ferreting.  

Edited by ferret lady
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, ferret lady said:

Ferrets are illegal in California and Hawaii.

did you know that there are some small areas of the usa that have the European rabbit introduced....theres some islands of the coast its either near Seattle or sanfrancisco ....

although I realise that's along way from you

5 hours ago, TOMO said:

did you know that there are some small areas of the usa that have the European rabbit introduced....theres some islands of the coast its either near Seattle or sanfrancisco ....

although I realise that's along way from you

No. I'd never heard or read that European rabbits had been introduced in the US.  All I've ever seen are the cottontails.  Googled it and it seems they aren't too popular in some areas:

"Within the U.S. a vigorous attempt to control European rabbit populations in San Juan park of Washington is in the works. The beautiful landscape has been stripped bare to the point of a moon-scape according to park officials."

On 14/12/2019 at 22:36, Bobtheferret said:

Yes and in extreme circumstances they end up dead through anaemia, even if they survive the summer (which in all likely hood they will) they will come through in poor condition underweight and with hair loss especially on the tail. The only way to take a ferret out is the breed it, have it mated by a vas hob or get the jill jab from a vet. The ferret will be in much better health and be a lot happier if you do. Atb 

On 14/12/2019 at 23:16, Arry said:

This is a quote from National Vets Association or something like that, but explains it.

Female ferrets (jills) come into season (oestrus) in spring and summer (March to September) as the day length begins to increase. They will stay in season either until mated or until day length reduces again. When in oestrus, the vulva of the jill will become swollen and they are receptive to mating. During this time they are subject to high levels of the hormone oestrogen. This can suppress the production of red blood cells and lead to a life threatening anaemia. Female ferrets can die from the subsequent anaemia unless brought back out of season.

Cheers Arry

Im firmly in the leave them in season group and have had none die due to this,its alright vets saying jills must be taken out of season? they dont give jabs for free or vasectomise hobs free in the interest of animal welfare.Likewise puppy jabs and boosters are just money spinners to them.

Right these conditions the jill goes through whilst in season, why dont sheep, goats, cattle and horses to name a few get the same symptons when they are not mated?

Y.I.S Leeview

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Leeview said:

Im firmly in the leave them in season group and have had none die due to this,its alright vets saying jills must be taken out of season? they dont give jabs for free or vasectomise hobs free in the interest of animal welfare.Likewise puppy jabs and boosters are just money spinners to them.

Right these conditions the jill goes through whilst in season, why dont sheep, goats, cattle and horses to name a few get the same symptons when they are not mated?

Y.I.S Leeview

Fair enough every body to their own.

Cheers Arry

8 hours ago, Leeview said:

I

Y.I.S Leeview

I'm fairly sure the other species you listed go out of heat on their own if not bred'

Each to their own. We are all free to make up our own minds and choose, what suits best?

However, I have definitely lost, good working bitches that have suffered through not being bred from,or preferably, brought out of season, by dint of a vasectomised male ferret.

Locally, most bitches were taken to the Wessex ferret club and jill -jabbed for a few quid,..this action prevented hundreds of unnecessary kits being created,...the practice was not foolproof, but was a step in the right direction towards halting, the seasonal influx,of unwanted young ferrets. :clapper:

Personally, we found a sensible and knowledgeable Vet and he vasectomised(not castrated?) a few chosen Hobs at a nominal fee, and this was a much better idea.

Them old  ferrets have earned me a comfortable living, over the years,...ya got to look after them, its only fair..

img Scans176.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1