Where to find Breeders(Ferreting)

Hello, 

New to ferreting and looking to cover all my bases. I've read that you want a well handled ferret from a proven working line, but do you want a younger Jill or is taht just a preference for her getting to know you? The other problem being I'm having trouble finding any breeders in the US for ferreting. I've found some things on ferrets for show but am still searching. Does anyone know of breeders in or around Oregon? 

Kindest Regards, 

Emily

Most ferrets will work rabbits just avoid them angora or pet looking ferrets get a hob if you just want 1 as it's easier they dont have to be bred or jabbed every summer, feed them rabbits so they know what they looking for most dont need that but it can only help then show them some rabbits atb.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 01:35, Littlemsm said:

Hello, 

New to ferreting and looking to cover all my bases. I've read that you want a well handled ferret from a proven working line, but do you want a younger Jill or is taht just a preference for her getting to know you? The other problem being I'm having trouble finding any breeders in the US for ferreting. I've found some things on ferrets for show but am still searching. Does anyone know of breeders in or around Oregon? 

Kindest Regards, 

Emily

firstly.....im sure I read actual ferreting (hunting rabbits) in the usa is banned....or at least in some states .....also the American cotton tail doesn't really live In warrens the way they do here in Europe....I think they use burrows other animals have made or just a simple burrow for breeding ....and I think they spend less time using these burrows...

having said all the above I don't suppose it would harm to give it a try ....maybe a dog or two ..to get the rabbits to ground....

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Jill's need to be taken out of season either vasectomite hob a jill jab or rear a litter I never had a jill come out of season naturally myself

Jill's can be left in season without any problems. I have done it several times. however its not recommended as they are prone to infection and sometimes die, that's why most people take them out of season. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, fred90 said:

Jill's can be left in season without any problems. I have done it several times. however its not recommended as they are prone to infection and sometimes die, that's why most people take them out of season. 

So they cant be left in season then if some die from it

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, TOMO said:

firstly.....im sure I read actual ferreting (hunting rabbits) in the usa is banned....or at least in some states .....also the American cotton tail doesn't really live In warrens the way they do here in Europe....I think they use burrows other animals have made or just a simple burrow for breeding ....and I think they spend less time using these burrows...

having said all the above I don't suppose it would harm to give it a try ....maybe a dog or two ..to get the rabbits to ground....

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's illegal to keep ferrets at all in some states? 

17 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

So they cant be left in season then if some die from it

what I am saying is some do some don't. some say if they are kept clean which by the way I believe is essential to all ferrets they should be ok. choice is yours. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, TOMO said:

yep got an 8 year old jill now ...never been mated ...jabbed ...or vac hob.....

had other jills as well that were never brought out of season....

I’m the same mate, I think you’d have to leave them in there own shit and what not for abit for them to get infected but just keep them clean what should be done anyway and they’ll be alright, I’ve never had a problem anyway?

Personally my opinion (for what it worth!) you should never leave a jill in season unless your going to mate from her. Yes some will be fine but some will genuinely die if not bought out and if your keeping an animal you owe it to them to give them proper care etc. I also think even if a jill is basically fine she will stay in better condition and be more comfortable if you take her out by jab or vas hob. I have learned this from bitter and unfortunately tragic experience. Bloody good jill lost and I still feel guilty to this day, never again have I left a jill in season I wasn’t breeding from. Vas hob should give you 6-8 years use for around £80 that’s £10 a year, a good jill is priceless.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

I have been under the impression that if you leave a jill in season it can cause their estrigen levels to go up and cause poor health and baldness.

But i have heard that they can take themselves out of season on logs and rocks in their enclosure.

I dont know how true this is though.

FF

Yes and in extreme circumstances they end up dead through anaemia, even if they survive the summer (which in all likely hood they will) they will come through in poor condition underweight and with hair loss especially on the tail. The only way to take a ferret out is the breed it, have it mated by a vas hob or get the jill jab from a vet. The ferret will be in much better health and be a lot happier if you do. Atb 

• Like 2

This is a quote from National Vets Association or something like that, but explains it.

Female ferrets (jills) come into season (oestrus) in spring and summer (March to September) as the day length begins to increase. They will stay in season either until mated or until day length reduces again. When in oestrus, the vulva of the jill will become swollen and they are receptive to mating. During this time they are subject to high levels of the hormone oestrogen. This can suppress the production of red blood cells and lead to a life threatening anaemia. Female ferrets can die from the subsequent anaemia unless brought back out of season.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1