Allan P

Bushing Border Collies.

It's a similar coat to what Hancock's mr Jones had my mate has two off him they both have very similar coats to him can I ask what is the difference between a Welsh and a border collie 

On 13/01/2020 at 17:34, fatlad said:

It's a similar coat to what Hancock's mr Jones had my mate has two off him they both have very similar coats to him can I ask what is the difference between a Welsh and a border collie 

Mr Jones is beardie x border ...

Difference is one barks in Welsh one doesn't 😂🤣😂🤣

23 minutes ago, Chid said:

Mr Jones is beardie x border ...

Difference is one barks in Welsh one doesn't 😂🤣😂🤣

I thought it was one rounded them up while the other tried to shag the 👌🏻👈🏻🐑 

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Having a good day bushing / beating with this one.

C899CC25-0E3F-44B9-83A2-9087A926E4C2.jpeg

6BE4FA6C-36E7-44DB-9D54-6D76A48CB345.jpeg

Not gun shy at all then?

At the start she didn’t like it when she got too close to the line but now she’s fine. Was just a little day but she put a few birds and a few munty out.

12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

At the start she didn’t like it when she got too close to the line but now she’s fine. Was just a little day but she put a few birds and a few munty out.

I’ve heard that some Borders can be very gun shy due to being quite sensitive types, obviously not all Borders are the same though.
Sounds like a nice day out nothing to serious, just how it should be. 

Yes there is def a wide variation in types but also depends how you introduce them and bring them on etc. She just loves to be with me and get involved, she is primarily a working sheep dog but can turn her hand to most things.

Quarry obviously taken legally. She’s a collie after all! 

D1D25DB5-DA6B-4BDF-AEEF-9FC7AAF7CCA5.jpeg

• Like 4

Brilliant J ive always wanted a full collie for mooching , going to get one the next time I bring a dog in 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy no mates said:

Best bushing / beating dog ive owned was a first cross collie lab...was built like a strong collie...he had everything you would want.

Saw a few of these crosses as a Young lad spending summers in crief with my uncle, were very handy dogs tho I was too young too appreciate them fully I do know the guys that owned them done there fair share an rated them dogs 👍

• Like 1

What would be interesting is if you decided to breed a line of collies especially for it and had enough folk willing to test them a bit etc 

Ive a young border  x welsh collie bitch here, who I will try to find a photo of, but she doesn’t look like a collie, she’s pretty small, prick eared, black as the night with a little white blaze and grey socks. Strong but slinky if that makes sense.

Started her on sheep and straight off the lead as a pup all she wants to do is chase, grab and hold on, she’s slowly learning manners but I think she’s too hard for sheep work. Fearless with cattle so will probably go that way. Her mum was my best catching bitch, a big rough coated thing which would run into a mob of 1500 ewes and pull down the one you pointed out, she could stop a 100 kilo ram. The sire was a welsh collie off the moors in Devon who spent his days wrangling hill sheep and lots of hill bullocks and cows. 

Anyway, I digress. The bitch wants to kill everything smaller than her, she’s a wanker with chickens etc, kills rats, hunts everything. I do wonder if I should just sack off the herding and move her over to the hunting team and try to bring it out in a more organised fashion. 

• Like 3

My current dog is a red and white welsh collie...a decent sheepdog and an exellent beating dog but he is not a hunter in the same way the lab x was.. the lab x was lethal , pegged way too many birds on the shoots ..to the point that he was band off some..caught loads of rabbits..in his prime he would take some on the run ..was also a top class ratter..dog of a lifetime really..

• Like 4

On 12/01/2020 at 08:51, joe ox said:

Am fancying adding extra collie into my lurchers sooner or later I havent decided which way to do it yet though, I love those tall raw boned farm collies with big heads.

There was a dog barking at a farm up the cheviots one time when I passed by built like you describe had a booming voice like a Rottweiler, looked a hell of a strong mean dog