Bushing Border Collies.

Allan P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

At the start she didn’t like it when she got too close to the line but now she’s fine. Was just a little day but she put a few birds and a few munty out.

I’ve heard that some Borders can be very gun shy due to being quite sensitive types, obviously not all Borders are the same though.
Sounds like a nice day out nothing to serious, just how it should be. 

Yes there is def a wide variation in types but also depends how you introduce them and bring them on etc. She just loves to be with me and get involved, she is primarily a working sheep dog but can turn her hand to most things.

Quarry obviously taken legally. She’s a collie after all! 

D1D25DB5-DA6B-4BDF-AEEF-9FC7AAF7CCA5.jpeg

• Like 4

What would be interesting is if you decided to breed a line of collies especially for it and had enough folk willing to test them a bit etc 

Ive a young border  x welsh collie bitch here, who I will try to find a photo of, but she doesn’t look like a collie, she’s pretty small, prick eared, black as the night with a little white blaze and grey socks. Strong but slinky if that makes sense.

Started her on sheep and straight off the lead as a pup all she wants to do is chase, grab and hold on, she’s slowly learning manners but I think she’s too hard for sheep work. Fearless with cattle so will probably go that way. Her mum was my best catching bitch, a big rough coated thing which would run into a mob of 1500 ewes and pull down the one you pointed out, she could stop a 100 kilo ram. The sire was a welsh collie off the moors in Devon who spent his days wrangling hill sheep and lots of hill bullocks and cows. 

Anyway, I digress. The bitch wants to kill everything smaller than her, she’s a wanker with chickens etc, kills rats, hunts everything. I do wonder if I should just sack off the herding and move her over to the hunting team and try to bring it out in a more organised fashion. 

• Like 3

My current dog is a red and white welsh collie...a decent sheepdog and an exellent beating dog but he is not a hunter in the same way the lab x was.. the lab x was lethal , pegged way too many birds on the shoots ..to the point that he was band off some..caught loads of rabbits..in his prime he would take some on the run ..was also a top class ratter..dog of a lifetime really..

• Like 4
On 12/01/2020 at 08:51, joe ox said:

Am fancying adding extra collie into my lurchers sooner or later I havent decided which way to do it yet though, I love those tall raw boned farm collies with big heads.

There was a dog barking at a farm up the cheviots one time when I passed by built like you describe had a booming voice like a Rottweiler, looked a hell of a strong mean dog

On 18/01/2020 at 18:29, SheepChaser said:

What would be interesting is if you decided to breed a line of collies especially for it and had enough folk willing to test them a bit etc 

Ive a young border  x welsh collie bitch here, who I will try to find a photo of, but she doesn’t look like a collie, she’s pretty small, prick eared, black as the night with a little white blaze and grey socks. Strong but slinky if that makes sense.

Started her on sheep and straight off the lead as a pup all she wants to do is chase, grab and hold on, she’s slowly learning manners but I think she’s too hard for sheep work. Fearless with cattle so will probably go that way. Her mum was my best catching bitch, a big rough coated thing which would run into a mob of 1500 ewes and pull down the one you pointed out, she could stop a 100 kilo ram. The sire was a welsh collie off the moors in Devon who spent his days wrangling hill sheep and lots of hill bullocks and cows. 

Anyway, I digress. The bitch wants to kill everything smaller than her, she’s a wanker with chickens etc, kills rats, hunts everything. I do wonder if I should just sack off the herding and move her over to the hunting team and try to bring it out in a more organised fashion. 

Throw a pic up of the bitch mate ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2019 at 16:57, Allan P said:

Anyone working a full Border Collie for bushing rabbits. If so how useful are they to have around?

I had a collie bitch that was rescued......it had a litter of pups at ten months old. Anyway it took to hunting like you wouldn’t believe. She was lightly built, small and a natural scrounger. I ferreted, lamped and hunted with her in the day time. She was a top notch bushing bitch......couldn’t move as quick through bramble as my small jacks could, but she would crawl on her belly if needed. She developed her own style of hunting, in certain cases it almost seemed like she knew where she wanted to push the rabbit out to. Negatives I can think of.........bramble stuck to her tail and she was prone to just fly off hunting up sometimes and forget I existed. Her scrounging was her failing as the vet reckoned she’d eaten something that had been laced with poison.

I wouldn’t get one for daytime work personally ....and I love collies. I think it’s a bit of a gamble as some collies don’t seem to have that natural daytime hunting drive to seek the game if it’s thin on the ground. I would sooner have a springer x or springer x collie, or in my case my springer x lurcher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1