Bushing Border Collies.

Allan P

I don't know where his new one is from but the other one he had was just a farm bred dog that worked cattle and sheep ive a first cross border collie greyhound and she is just a normal happy dog when I'm out she is happy to just sleep in the kennel if you go for a one I would avoid a trialling bred dog of one bred for that flyball 

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, white van man said:

The farmer I hang around with has a kelpie x border. Fast little thing and works cattle and sheep. If she sees a rabbit or fox when out she’s in all sorts of cover trying to find it. Something like that would be an ideal bushing partner. 

That’s what I’m thinking , be ideal for a walk out on the moor. Also be good as a running partner. Alfs not interested in running unless behind a rabbit and even then he’s not that fussed, he’d rather just stand and mark them.  

The flyball dogs are worked up, they do it with the other breeds they use.

Think it's getting them out and if the quirks bother you. Meet all sorts of people with farm bred collies and failed sheepdogs and they're fine. And some of the trial dogs are work dogs as well

Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 1

I  have always rated Herding dogs,.I just like them...

The best of the bunch, are extremely adaptable and can take on many diverse tasks,....they just shift from one discipline to another.

For them, it is easy,...they are different to other canines...?

Worked with a tremendously keen Border collie dog,.he was undoubtedly, the most accurate marking dog, I have ever come across..

Really intense,..massive concentration span,...almost trance-like, totally immovable, but when the time came, he struck his prey,... like a cobra..

As the day progressed, I twigged onto the fact that he was partially deaf...

Like a fool, I advised his owner not to use him across a running dog,...upon reflection, and given my experience with such matters today,...I was wrong....?

Great dogs...:clapper:

• Like 7
18 hours ago, MH1 said:

Good topic, something I've thought about for the future. One thing that puts me off is the tyre biting collie stereotype, and if they switch off when not out and about?

I know just the thing for you

what you need is one of they wee Smithfield collies, they come from a time before tyres, so it's not in their DNA to set about them

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • 5 weeks later...

There’s a whole pile of collies here mate. I’ve got  two border collies, a welsh collie, a welsh x border and a kelpie x border. The welshie is a dog (he’s the red one in the photo) and all the rest are bitches.

Lad who works for me has four borders (two of which belong to me also).

They have varying interest in hunting. Most of them like a bit of ratting / rabbiting. But some of them are much more keen and have accounted for a fair variety of game whilst at work.

My oldest bitch comes mooching, tags a long ferreting, comes beating with me etc and has an unhealthy obsession with deer, which I suppose is natural, being a cloven hooved animal.

We've one dog here who I think would be a good one to go across a greyhound one day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1