Bushing Border Collies.

Allan P

Am fancying adding extra collie into my lurchers sooner or later I havent decided which way to do it yet though, I love those tall raw boned farm collies with big heads.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

There’s a whole pile of collies here mate. I’ve got  two border collies, a welsh collie, a welsh x border and a kelpie x border. The welshie is a dog (he’s the red one in the photo) and all the rest are bitches.

Lad who works for me has four borders (two of which belong to me also).

They have varying interest in hunting. Most of them like a bit of ratting / rabbiting. But some of them are much more keen and have accounted for a fair variety of game whilst at work.

My oldest bitch comes mooching, tags a long ferreting, comes beating with me etc and has an unhealthy obsession with deer, which I suppose is natural, being a cloven hooved animal.

We've one dog here who I think would be a good one to go across a greyhound one day.

No terriers? Or guard dogs mate? 

9 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

You have a proper welsh collie you don’t need a guard dog .

Interesting theory 

A farm near me has border collies he also had two Caucasian shepherd's on chains at night

Edited by keepdiggin

Currently no guard dogs or terriers. Was recently looking at a guard dog, as we had a big yard which was secure, and had kit in it, but was away from the house, and we’d had break ins there. A free roaming menace would have been good. But the owners sold that farm and yard for development so the guard dog never happened. Most of where we have yards there are too many civilians and soft eyes around.

Hoping to maybe add a terrier in the near future, but all of my friends have plenty and lad who works for me keeps digging dogs and lives on the farm here, so we are never short a terrier.

Will definitely be adding a little cover dog in the not too distant future.

So yep, at the moment it’s a ton of herding dogs and the two Lurchers. Mind you, that lot will make noise fit to raise the dead if a person steps into the yard at night, and my old black Lurcher bitch is a nasty piece of work if she doesn’t like you! 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Currently no guard dogs or terriers. Was recently looking at a guard dog, as we had a big yard which was secure, and had kit in it, but was away from the house, and we’d had break ins there. A free roaming menace would have been good. But the owners sold that farm and yard for development so the guard dog never happened. Most of where we have yards there are too many civilians and soft eyes around.

Hoping to maybe add a terrier in the near future, but all of my friends have plenty and lad who works for me keeps digging dogs and lives on the farm here, so we are never short a terrier.

Will definitely be adding a little cover dog in the not too distant future.

So yep, at the moment it’s a ton of herding dogs and the two Lurchers. Mind you, that lot will make noise fit to raise the dead if a person steps into the yard at night, and my old black Lurcher bitch is a nasty piece of work if she doesn’t like you! 

Your a lucky man mate

All the best

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Nowt in mind joe? 

Local lad is lining a greyhound bitch with a farm collie like I described, he said I can have a dog pup out the litter or I have been fancying sourcing a pure collie puppy that I can rear as a lurcher. I would be hard pushed to add any collie blood to my lurchers that I havnt seen run.

• Like 1