Bushing Border Collies.

Allan P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I used one for few years, Along side a lakie, ended up breeding them together as the collie was as good as anything else is seen, pups all turned into seriously versatile wee dogs? Get one an try it, I doubt you’ll regret lt?

Seriously thinking about one in the New Year. I don’t ferret or lamp anymore so want something for hunting up rabbits and generally mooching about the moor. 

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I was in same boat pal but jigsaw mentioned w litter w kelpie crosses an it was always summat I wanted to try, said all along tho that there was w chance I could have ended up with a collie instead, glad I got the halfx now tbh, but I do know I’ll have another collie at some point, only a matter of time, if you can gel with collies, them I think is a no brainier to use em as a knock about dog?

Their intelligence could cause me a few issues to be honest. 

Had one about 25 years ago great dog used to take her out ratchin about with the ferrets she would mark warrens and catch the bolters if any slipped the nets fantastic nose on her too she caught a few hares as well snatching them out there forms in the whins and reed beds all in a cracking wee dog to have about ? 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, MH1 said:

Good topic, something I've thought about for the future. One thing that puts me off is the tyre biting collie stereotype, and if they switch off when not out and about?

Yes I know what you mean, the Lurchers I’ve had tended to sleep most of the day until you put your boots on then it’s like a switch has been flipped.  Not sure a full Border Collie has an off switch.  

Edited by Allan P

The collie I mentioned was calm and quiet but I know where your coming from about no off switch I am no expert on collies but maybe it's just some lines of collie that are manic like that had a first cross collie grey and you could lamp him near enough all night and ferret him all next day no problem he was like that seen you with wellies or a coat on and he would be bouncing around his pen like a kangaroo but that's what I liked about him up for it all the time any time ? 

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I was in same boat pal but jigsaw mentioned w litter w kelpie crosses an it was always summat I wanted to try, said all along tho that there was w chance I could have ended up with a collie instead, glad I got the halfx now tbh, but I do know I’ll have another collie at some point, only a matter of time, if you can gel with collies, them I think is a no brainier to use em as a knock about dog?

Really interested to see how your pup turns out, wonder if the dog work cattle and sheep on the farm???

• Confused 1

Pet collie at work is a born moucher, hunts up constantly, marks, had a fair variety over the years, glass brim full sort of dog. She does chase vehicles though and if she's left out she makes her own entertainment digging out young rabbits, catching fledglings and barking at passing crows etc ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

When I was at school we all went out with a mixture of dogs walked miles we often seen a lad from shildon with a pure border collie on the lines that dog was really quick followed his terrier and snapped up loads of stuff leaving brambles just seemed to know where it wanted to be for a catch, seen the same lad 20 year later and he still has a collie for mooching

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, fatlad said:

When I was at school we all went out with a mixture of dogs walked miles we often seen a lad from shildon with a pure border collie on the lines that dog was really quick followed his terrier and snapped up loads of stuff leaving brambles just seemed to know where it wanted to be for a catch, seen the same lad 20 year later and he still has a collie for mooching

That Collie sounds the exact opposite to my Lurcher. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1