Any more gundog lurchers out there

I've a springer that would definitely  add a bit diversity to a lurcher . Game as a butchers dog on everything ( except other dogs?) And jumps for fun  retrieves just about anything that he can carry  . 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ftm said:

I've a springer that would definitely  add a bit diversity to a lurcher . Game as a butchers dog on everything ( except other dogs?) And jumps for fun  retrieves just about anything that he can carry  . 

Mines half springer x lurcher. I couldn’t ask for a better daytime hunting dog. She suits my needs well, I’m more of a one for the pot type of fella. For daytime hunting she hands down is better than any other lurcher I’ve owned with collie n bedlington in the breeding. I reckon she’s 22 inch. She does yip though occasionally. 

I got asked the other day what bred she is by this old lady who goes beating with her Labrador, when I told her a lurcher, she told me...nah that’s no lurcher who told you that......had to laugh as she catches me more than all the other lurchers I’ve had put together.

It really does fascinate that everything’s either collie or bedlington etc. She has the best hunting brain I’ve worked. 

• Like 2

an old miner out of the village used to have a whippet spaniel most sunday mornings he would come home with a hare off the pit stacks she would use her nose getting faster the nearer she got to the hare in its seat as the hare was lifting she would be at full speed if it had chance to lift and it would be all over used to dive for golf balls in the pond on the local golf club that he would sell out side the club          

• Like 2

A mate as a lab x Norfolk he got from Jeff b who breeds  Norfolks "bitsa" line .

last time I see it it looked like a strong bull x ,few days I was in company of them it worked as good as any x as a mouching jook.

gun dogs always been used you just don't see many today .i think a golden retriever "working type " would make a good jook .

avtb 

mouch

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

A mate as a lab x Norfolk he got from Jeff b who breeds  Norfolks "bitsa" line .

last time I see it it looked like a strong bull x ,few days I was in company of them it worked as good as any x as a mouching jook.

gun dogs always been used you just don't see many today .i think a golden retriever "working type " would make a good jook .

avtb 

mouch

Agree with you there mate. Mongrel lurchers with a bit of gundog in would've been more abundant than 1st crosses of any type years ago, or even dogs that could be properly termed as lurchers.

I remember years ago as a youngster, asking how certain lurchers I saw were bred, and no-one really knew. They were just lurchers lol. One of the 1st dogs we ever had, about 1968ish, was thought to possibly have some whippet in it from his sire. He might've had, he was pretty nippy

• Like 1