Ferrets killing in !!!!

I like to keep my ferrets in big pens rather than hutches. I have the space and they are active in there running the pipes and climbing the mesh. 
Now I haven’t seen a difference in a ferrets working ability as such in regards to if it’s kept in a big pen or a good sized hutch but I’ve seen a well known Falconer this morning post that ferrets kept in big enclosures kill more rabbits below ground than ferrets kept in a hutch. 
I think it’s some kind of old wives tale but I could be wrong. 

Thoughts??????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

did this chap give a reason to why he believed this??

personly I think its nonsence

No not yet but I’m used to seeing this sort of thing on Falconry pages. 
It made a change from seeing posts about how Falconry is natural but other hunting is cruel ? you see that a lot. 

Mine all live in a court with tunnels and a hutch on the end to sleep in.

I've only had 2 kill ins one I could reach with my arm and one I got out with a length of brier, I only ferret for a few hours on a Sunday morning though.

I think it comes down to the ferret itself, I have one ferret that is very ballsy so might kill down but the main 2 I use are quite laid back.

FF

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, The one said:

If your ferrets always killing below i reckon your making to much noise on top , but some days they fly out other days they dont 

To be honest, I’m not sure if noise makes a difference. Even if your on your own with no one to talk to, and tip toe around the warrens when setting the nets, the rabbits still know your there. I’ve been with several people, with dogs and plenty of noise etc, and rabbits still bolt. I’ve also been as quiet as a mouse on my own and had to dig several times in a day. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

To be honest, I’m not sure if noise makes a difference. Even if your on your own with no one to talk to, and tip toe around the warrens when setting the nets, the rabbits still know your there. I’ve been with several people, with dogs and plenty of noise etc, and rabbits still bolt. I’ve also been as quiet as a mouse on my own and had to dig several times in a day. 

good point. I was always taught no talking, definitely no smoking, keep noise to a minimum but sometimes as you say it makes no difference. I have also run a rabbit to ground with little dog and turned a Ferret in straight away and rabbit has bolted, yet always been told this is a definite sin. sometimes they bolt, sometimes they don't. 

• Like 3

If the ferrets have free run in a large pen they are going to be a lot fitter than ferrets in a small pen so maybe likely to pin them underground easier.That's the only difference imo.Dogs keeping their noses down warrens is not good,thats why I teach mine to back off when marking.I did a property where the guy had 12 useless dogs loose all the time,no rabbits bolted and were just getting killed by the ferrets all day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2019 at 10:40, pointer said:

I like to keep my ferrets in big pens rather than hutches. I have the space and they are active in there running the pipes and climbing the mesh. 
Now I haven’t seen a difference in a ferrets working ability as such in regards to if it’s kept in a big pen or a good sized hutch but I’ve seen a well known Falconer this morning post that ferrets kept in big enclosures kill more rabbits below ground than ferrets kept in a hutch. 
I think it’s some kind of old wives tale but I could be wrong. 

Thoughts??????

Probably because the guy saying it spent all his money on building his mews and couldn’t afford a big ferret pen so was trying justify it to the other falconers riled him apart wich they love doing , I though as a dog men that we were quiet bitchy at times but by f**k falconers take it to a new level lol 

• Like 1