Selling rabbits

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're out not for profit just give them away,I've found the pensioners are always great full for a rabbit or two,there's no need for waste.

Good suggestion Greyman, unfortunately I don’t have Facebook I refuse! Not because I am a relic before anyone suggest (34!) I just think its very fake and more grief than it’s worth! 

I agree,it was a worthwhile course. And as you say ,when you learn about ,not just the theoretical ,but ,some of the actual tragic consequences that have occurred due to the mishandling of Game it is

Posted Images

1 hour ago, comanche said:

Most of the easily available information seems to refer to a 2015 update of regulations.

You definately need a Trained Hunter certificate and number to sell to a Game Dealer. 

Local supply to butchers seems permissible as long as the rabbits are just gutted are handled and transported hygenically and meet food standards 

Once you start skinning you enter the world of a food processor and have to registered as such and comply with rules regarding hygenic premises and waste disposal.

This indicates that selling from the back of your vehicle to a butcher is fine.

However,years ago the butcher I had been selling rabbits to, suddenly told me there were issues concerning keeping and processing furred game on the same premises as prepared meat. He may just have been trying to get me to skin them for him of course. Which l did ,for an extra 50p?

It may be that since 2015 regulations have been updated.

There seems to be some indication that you MAY now have to be registered as a food business just to supply rabbits locally.

The good news is that registration cannot be refused and is free!

A call to the local Environmental Health department ,explaining the situation and the limited extent of your commercial aspirations might be worthwhile. 

I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who would be interested in the result.?

Sad as feck really reading things like this, the only limits on what I could sell to the local butcher as a lad was my ability to get it round the back doors discreetly, if I was strong enough to carry a cow he would have gladly bought it jointed it up and sold it in his shop, everyone was happy and everyone made a few quid now it’s all about meeting regs and paying the taxman, while turning men into tidy bearded Fanny’s  if I was below the age of 40 I would be getting off this shit pit of an island as fast as humanly possible and heading somewhere like New Zealand were you can still make a good living killing invasive species, we allow things like muntjac to over populate over run and change the eco system whilst penalising people who want to hunt them any other country you would be paid a bounty by the government like pythons and iguanas in Florida, 

• Like 2

As Comanche said ,if you are skinning and breaking down game ,some form of premises are needed and have to be inspected by local council .The  license to sell to a third party be it next door or the 5 star restaurant in town is free on applying but give them too much information and they will be around to check exactly what you are doing .

To supply in fur ,feathered game to a dealer or joe public they weren’t interested and issued the license no follow up .Incidentally it’s not  a physical license but rather a log that should you be pulled on it ,they are aware you are trading as such .

I used to supply all and sundry everything from rabbits to deer to geese’ and pheasants until one outlet said they needed to see an ID number so rather than have anything dry up on me I bit the bullet .

The course was very good I thought and dealt with exactly why some form of regs was needed and showed some horrendous pics of actual game presented for sale lol .

Yes it is another nail in our freedom but in a world where the paper trail is everything it’s the thin end of a thin wedge .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

As Comanche said ,if you are skinning and breaking down game ,some form of premises are needed and have to be inspected by local council .The  license to sell to a third party be it next door or the 5 star restaurant in town is free on applying but give them too much information and they will be around to check exactly what you are doing .

To supply in fur ,feathered game to a dealer or joe public they weren’t interested and issued the license no follow up .Incidentally it’s not  a physical license but rather a log that should you be pulled on it ,they are aware you are trading as such .

I used to supply all and sundry everything from rabbits to deer to geese’ and pheasants until one outlet said they needed to see an ID number so rather than have anything dry up on me I bit the bullet .

The course was very good I thought and dealt with exactly why some form of regs was needed and showed some horrendous pics of actual game presented for sale lol .

Yes it is another nail in our freedom but in a world where the paper trail is everything it’s the thin end of a thin wedge .

I agree,it was a worthwhile course. And as you say ,when you learn about ,not just the theoretical ,but ,some of the actual tragic consequences that have occurred due to the mishandling of Game it is hard to be too rebellious about it.

• Like 4