Selling rabbits

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're out not for profit just give them away,I've found the pensioners are always great full for a rabbit or two,there's no need for waste.

Good suggestion Greyman, unfortunately I don’t have Facebook I refuse! Not because I am a relic before anyone suggest (34!) I just think its very fake and more grief than it’s worth! 

I agree,it was a worthwhile course. And as you say ,when you learn about ,not just the theoretical ,but ,some of the actual tragic consequences that have occurred due to the mishandling of Game it is

Posted Images

Just now, ollieollie said:

Shame your so far mate, I’d have had them regular..

Definitely, I don’t really care about the money. I would happily give them away to decent people. Anyone who would want a few for themselves, friends, dog or ferrets send me a message. Most important thing really is that they aren’t going to waste. I am not talking dozens as numbers are down quite a bit round here thanks to RVHD2 but freezer is full and I can only use/give away so many. 

• Like 2

i used to sell them a quid skinned gutted in a bag frozen around the pubs.

maybe stick a card/poster up in your local post office

then the zoo's would pay a quid for them whole and any size as long as they aint shot with shotgun.

i would shift 100s to the zoos local to me.dont be afraid to call them,they are always after feed for the animals.

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 1

Me n pav used to sell 100+ each time to pet food supplier but he stopped saying laws  changed  or something on them lines .pav  has found a dog breeder who takes the odd 40_50   .

5 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Definitely, I don’t really care about the money. I would happily give them away to decent people. Anyone who would want a few for themselves, friends, dog or ferrets send me a message. Most important thing really is that they aren’t going to waste. I am not talking dozens as numbers are down quite a bit round here thanks to RVHD2 but freezer is full and I can only use/give away so many. 

Have you got a local Facebook group you could put them up on sure plenty of older folk would be happy with a few off you ?

26 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Have you got a local Facebook group you could put them up on sure plenty of older folk would be happy with a few off you ?

Good suggestion Greyman, unfortunately I don’t have Facebook I refuse! Not because I am a relic before anyone suggest (34!) I just think its very fake and more grief than it’s worth! 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I agree mate but I am a relic? I normally get one of me kids to do, just sold my land rover on Facebook marketplace saved me a couple of hundred quid in fees if I had sold it on fleabay, just get the kids to advertise it then give my phone number when folk enquire ?

• Like 1

I don't know what the law is now but 5-10 years ago the EU passed some game hygiene legislation that meant anyone selling game needed to have done a course and be registered with some authority. There was however an exemption for those selling game in fur or feather (not processed beyond simply paunching/gralloching) to the end consumer. I believe a restaurant was classed as the end consumer but a game dealer was not.

No idea if it's been tightened to do away with that exemption.

On 07/12/2019 at 18:45, Bobtheferret said:

Evening ladies and gents,

i have been selling ferreted rabbits to my local butcher for a while (not serious numbers the odd half a dozen here and there when I have enough spare) but today he said he can’t take them any more as environmental health have changed the law on game. I have googled it and can’t find anything but has anyone got any information on the most update laws and does anyone know if it is possible to get around this?? I don’t catch loads but I only need so many for myself and hate the thought of waste especially as the butcher sells them no problem at all and is keen to take them but says it just isn’t worth the risk for him which I totally understand and agree with. Someone mentioned I could possibly get some kind of hunter number or something to allow me to sell them???

Many thanks for any replies.

Most of the easily available information seems to refer to a 2015 update of regulations.

You definately need a Trained Hunter certificate and number to sell to a Game Dealer. 

Local supply to butchers seems permissible as long as the rabbits are just gutted are handled and transported hygenically and meet food standards 

Once you start skinning you enter the world of a food processor and have to registered as such and comply with rules regarding hygenic premises and waste disposal.

This indicates that selling from the back of your vehicle to a butcher is fine.

However,years ago the butcher I had been selling rabbits to, suddenly told me there were issues concerning keeping and processing furred game on the same premises as prepared meat. He may just have been trying to get me to skin them for him of course. Which l did ,for an extra 50p?

It may be that since 2015 regulations have been updated.

There seems to be some indication that you MAY now have to be registered as a food business just to supply rabbits locally.

The good news is that registration cannot be refused and is free!

A call to the local Environmental Health department ,explaining the situation and the limited extent of your commercial aspirations might be worthwhile. 

I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who would be interested in the result.?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, comanche said:

Most of the easily available information seems to refer to a 2015 update of regulations.

You definately need a Trained Hunter certificate and number to sell to a Game Dealer. 

Local supply to butchers seems permissible as long as the rabbits are just gutted are handled and transported hygenically and meet food standards 

Once you start skinning you enter the world of a food processor and have to registered as such and comply with rules regarding hygenic premises and waste disposal.

This indicates that selling from the back of your vehicle to a butcher is fine.

However,years ago the butcher I had been selling rabbits to, suddenly told me there were issues concerning keeping and processing furred game on the same premises as prepared meat. He may just have been trying to get me to skin them for him of course. Which l did ,for an extra 50p?

It may be that since 2015 regulations have been updated.

There seems to be some indication that you MAY now have to be registered as a food business just to supply rabbits locally.

The good news is that registration cannot be refused and is free!

A call to the local Environmental Health department ,explaining the situation and the limited extent of your commercial aspirations might be worthwhile. 

I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who would be interested in the result.?

There is only two Blokes on here who catch any Rabbits