Selling rabbits

Evening ladies and gents,

i have been selling ferreted rabbits to my local butcher for a while (not serious numbers the odd half a dozen here and there when I have enough spare) but today he said he can’t take them any more as environmental health have changed the law on game. I have googled it and can’t find anything but has anyone got any information on the most update laws and does anyone know if it is possible to get around this?? I don’t catch loads but I only need so many for myself and hate the thought of waste especially as the butcher sells them no problem at all and is keen to take them but says it just isn’t worth the risk for him which I totally understand and agree with. Someone mentioned I could possibly get some kind of hunter number or something to allow me to sell them???

Many thanks for any replies.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're out not for profit just give them away,I've found the pensioners are always great full for a rabbit or two,there's no need for waste.

Good suggestion Greyman, unfortunately I don’t have Facebook I refuse! Not because I am a relic before anyone suggest (34!) I just think its very fake and more grief than it’s worth! 

I agree,it was a worthwhile course. And as you say ,when you learn about ,not just the theoretical ,but ,some of the actual tragic consequences that have occurred due to the mishandling of Game it is

Posted Images

I used to sell a lot to Pub/Restaurants , Ring up and ask to speak to Chef (no one else) tell him/her that you have Wild Rabbits caught to-day  at ( a local well Beauty spot  eg Winsor Park ) as they like to put Sourced  from on their Menu or specials board , if they want some it will usually be 12/20 ,  Give them all Doe Rabbits with no bruising , this can be done by soaking over Night in Salted Water with a dash of Vinegar this is handy for thawing out Frozen Rabbits you sling in to fill your order , make sure your Rabbits Flaps are Trimmed and the legs are severed below the Knee on the back legs . Deliver them on a decent Tray as appearance is everything . When you get to the Kitchen do not go in but tell one of the Slaves to place them in Salt  Water to Rest , I would charge £4 each and if they want the Heads and Liver dressing that is another 50 Pence per item , To most people doing all this may seem a load of Bollux  but the will come back again and again  it takes moments and costs nothing .

SUNP0028.JPG

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Evening ladies and gents,

i have been selling ferreted rabbits to my local butcher for a while (not serious numbers the odd half a dozen here and there when I have enough spare) but today he said he can’t take them any more as environmental health have changed the law on game. I have googled it and can’t find anything but has anyone got any information on the most update laws and does anyone know if it is possible to get around this?? I don’t catch loads but I only need so many for myself and hate the thought of waste especially as the butcher sells them no problem at all and is keen to take them but says it just isn’t worth the risk for him which I totally understand and agree with. Someone mentioned I could possibly get some kind of hunter number or something to allow me to sell them???

Many thanks for any replies.

Get the butcher to put up a sign with your phone number on it in his shop...

The only law that is in place is in regards the meat and small game hygiene certificate which is enforceable by law .You are supposed to be able to supply a hunter ID number obtained from this course .

Also the law has changed  on dumping animal waste ie skins legs and head and has to ,by law ,be incinerated at hunters cost or at a farm where they have facilities for such .

Its about clamping down on badly produced meat for human consumption .

This post does not insinuate anything ,just stating the law as it stands .

Any outlet taking game from you that does not ask for your hunter ID is actually breaking the law .

Should liven the topic up a bit lol.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

The only law that is in place is in regards the meat and small game hygiene certificate which is enforceable by law .You are supposed to be able to supply a hunter ID number obtained from this course .

Also the law has changed  on dumping animal waste ie skins legs and head and has to ,by law ,be incinerated at hunters cost or at a farm where they have facilities for such .

Its about clamping down on badly produced meat for human consumption .

This post does not insinuate anything ,just stating the law as it stands .

Any outlet taking game from you that does not ask for your hunter ID is actually breaking the law .

Should liven the topic up a bit lol.

What about Markets ?

Picture028-1.jpg

3 hours ago, micky said:

I used to sell a lot to Pub/Restaurants , Ring up and ask to speak to Chef (no one else) tell him/her that you have Wild Rabbits caught to-day  at ( a local well Beauty spot  eg Winsor Park ) as they like to put Sourced  from on their Menu or specials board , if they want some it will usually be 12/20 ,  Give them all Doe Rabbits with no bruising , this can be done by soaking over Night in Salted Water with a dash of Vinegar this is handy for thawing out Frozen Rabbits you sling in to fill your order , make sure your Rabbits Flaps are Trimmed and the legs are severed below the Knee on the back legs . Deliver them on a decent Tray as appearance is everything . When you get to the Kitchen do not go in but tell one of the Slaves to place them in Salt  Water to Rest , I would charge £4 each and if they want the Heads and Liver dressing that is another 50 Pence per item , To most people doing all this may seem a load of Bollux  but the will come back again and again  it takes moments and costs nothing .

SUNP0028.JPG

f**k me Micky, is that a smile or are you having a shit.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2