Magnet fishing

Killing time at work and found myself watching a few youtube vids of people doing it ,all quite boring ,road signs ,old bikes,few wheel clamps on the canal stretchs in town ,empty cash boxes ,then this couple find a couple of pistols a few old burner phones and a crap butterfly knife ,fella is convinced its a real gun ,the other is a webley nemesis air pistol ,goes running off to the old bill proud as punch ,to be told the other one is an air pistol lol,watch one after of 2 russian guys doing the same ,they are getting a few coins ,bullets ,rusty metal ,then a plastic bag with pistol and silencer in it ,they eject the mag ,cock it ,put silencer on it (wearing thick rubber gloves)obviously not been in water that long ,then wrapped it back up and launched it out into middle of lake ,rather than run to plod ,liked that approach more myself! 

• Haha 1

Back in the 1990's there were a couple of workmen doing repairs on a bridge near to Barnsley. One of them dropped his hammer and while he was fishing around for it he pulled up a large silver salver. It was engraved with something about cattle showing and so I wrote everything down that was relevant and went round to my neighbour who showed Limousin cattle (this was pre-Internet & Google). Bob made some enquiries with the people who organise cattle shows and it turned out that the salver was worth a couple of grand and had been stolen from a farm in the Midlands in a burglary around 12 years before and never seen since. The workman got a few quid reward which was nice.

The moral of this story is that the good stuff isn't magnetic ?

• Like 2

I got a sea searcher magnet and often have a dangle around bridges etc never found more than scrap but you can build up a good load without using fuel driving round looking, you also need a grapple for the big things the magnet can’t hold like mopeds and safes  ?

14 hours ago, sid g said:

i buy n sell a bit of silver i know it will change colour is it called oxidising ?  but wher `nt sure if it would rust or corrode 

Ferrous and non ferrous metals is what your dealing with mate, in a nut shell ferrous will rust and stick to a magnet non ferrous won’t rust, stick to a magnet and is usually the valuable stuff, oxidising needs oxygen and will not occur in deep water as there is less oxygen the deeper you go which is why boats rust at the waterline more than on the bottom ??

• Like 1
16 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

I was fishing up the canal other day with a pal of mine and noticed all the rubbish the wankers had left !!! 

Same. In amongst the pile of old mattress springs and shopping trolley parts I found this. No idea what it is or what it’s worth. Anyone any idea???

A6C162EC-3B82-4866-BD91-3852145020EE.jpeg

• Haha 6
9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Found some of these coins on Thursday, while ripping some footings.... Screenshot_20191205-204059.png.88e14561edf8b82940660cba9ac5557d.png

I had one of them fall out of an old ceiling I was repairing in a really old house near me got right excited spent a week cleaning it in vinegar only for it to be the one worth £1.25 in your pic, have modern 50p,s worth more ????

• Haha 1

Got one from wish.com a while back, only used it in the one place, but have some spots I will try with a mate, he is into detectoring & has a nice collection of coins. Also got a couple of stainless grappling hooks from wish.

Not far from me they pan for gold, thinking of having a look with the snorkel maybe.

Edited by Waz
  • Like 1