Lambing time photo diary

They are looking strong mate, my mate has just started started yesterday yesterday, 3 twins and 2 singles as of 9pm last night, 1 prem 4 weeks ago where ewe and lamb died, they didn’t sponge this year so hopefully it will just be steady away over the coming weeks 

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all We start lambing next month & I was wondering if there would be any interest in me doing bit of a weekly photo diary on here, pictures, any questions etc? Or does that sound crap?

One of the most annoying things at lambing is when a ewe rejects her lamb for no good reason. This little lamb was rejected two days ago & been on bottle.    This morning one of the sing

One week to go officially, although none are looking imminent. This is always worse time for me, waiting & also half expecting to find something going wrong (prolapse etc). Keep checkin

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stavross said:

They are looking strong mate, my mate has just started started yesterday yesterday, 3 twins and 2 singles as of 9pm last night, 1 prem 4 weeks ago where ewe and lamb died, they didn’t sponge this year so hopefully it will just be steady away over the coming weeks 

What made him move away from sponging? We're contemplating it for next year but never done before. 

My mate who does the lambing has done it for the last two years, he said the first year it worked well and they had a couple of mad weeks and it was over and done with, the problem they had was it was when we had all the snow and they couldn’t get them out in the fields so were running out of space,  the second year it was a bit more spread out and didn’t really get any more benefit from the extra cost and having to fanny stuff 800 odd ewes, they just went back old school with the teasers this year and spread it out a bit 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd post these here took some of  my kids to raglan farm park in Wales today. 

We timed it just right as these were only ones born all afternoon. And he was just putting the ewe in the pen when we walked up, he explained it was a first time lamber. Kids got to see lambs being born. ?

IMG_20200307_142719.jpg

FB_IMG_4346203163029707975.jpg

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

What's the next stage for them, do you retain your own ewe lambs?

Any ewes that are good enough we’ll keep - in the past all boys have gone however this year may be keeping anyone who’s good enough also. Some good lambs but have yet to commit to a decision, the clock is ticking though!

Vaccination time for the 2nd batch due to start lambing beginning of next month. The vaccine is given 6-4 week before lambing as the lamb then benefits from the vaccine via the ewes colostrum. As always, BCS as I go along & arguably more importantly for this group as they will be lambing outdoors with no concentrated feed, just some silage (and muddy wet grass! ? )

20200309_141423.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 years later...

Totally forgot about this thread

In full swing again this year. No tragedies yet but still week 1!! For first time we've started a pedigree texel flock, running alongside the commercial ewes, none of them popped yet though. 

20230127_120942.jpg

20230126_094832.jpg

20230123_094138.jpg

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Been bit mad last fortnight, only 12 left to go. Never wanna jinx it but so far been a good year in terms of lambing ease & mothering up ( been a few years in the making though, culling hard to rid poor maternal ewes). Even the pedigree Texels are doing well so far. Hope the sheep gods don't read this and curse my optimism! 

20230215_165730.jpg

20230215_123729.jpg

• Like 1