Lambing time photo diary

12 hours ago, Stavross said:

How many have you got, they can’t have long to go before they get the chop, my mate used to do about 100 until they had to declare them

Monday is D day!! 

We have 20 extra this year as demand outstrip supply last year, so about 170 I think. 

Early start/late finish Monday!! We do whole process in house, slaughter, pluck & dress.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all We start lambing next month & I was wondering if there would be any interest in me doing bit of a weekly photo diary on here, pictures, any questions etc? Or does that sound crap?

One of the most annoying things at lambing is when a ewe rejects her lamb for no good reason. This little lamb was rejected two days ago & been on bottle.    This morning one of the sing

One week to go officially, although none are looking imminent. This is always worse time for me, waiting & also half expecting to find something going wrong (prolapse etc). Keep checkin

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Monday is D day!! 

We have 20 extra this year as demand outstrip supply last year, so about 170 I think. 

Early start/late finish Monday!! We do whole process in house, slaughter, pluck & dress.

I don't envy that job, Used to do 100's myself in the past, horrible filthy job, you'll be stinking of turkey long after Chritmas pal ?

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Gav said:

I don't envy that job, Used to do 100's myself in the past, horrible filthy job, you'll be stinking of turkey long after Chritmas pal ?

That’s why I don’t eat rabbit anymore, I’ve gutted that many even when it’s cooked it still has that distinctive smell to  me, it’s put me right off ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Gav said:

Yep you're not wrong, never my favourite day of year. Unsurprisingly we have beef on Christmas day!! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

For 2nd year running scanning wasn't quite what I wanted but improved on last year - 179%. Lot of theaves this year though. Next year going to lamb a month later which should improve it too. 

Feet wise the ewes have been normal, the odd one that needed treating. They run through formalin bath once every couple of months & any repeat offenders with foot problems get culled. 

I was up at my mates place last week and a lot of there’s were still out with purple feet, they don’t have the room to shed them all up at the same time, they have been on the silage and nut for a few weeks now, the fields are knackered

do you sponge your ewes ?

30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s why I don’t eat rabbit anymore, I’ve gutted that many even when it’s cooked it still has that distinctive smell to  me, it’s put me right off ?

I know exactly what you mean, I now do a glut of them, leave them over night in salted water then freeze individualy, they don't smell as bad after a month or so then!

26 minutes ago, Gav said:

I know exactly what you mean, I now do a glut of them, leave them over night in salted water then freeze individualy, they don't smell as bad after a month or so then!

Have you tried squeezing half a lemon in the salt water as well Gav, It takes away that strong twangy taste you get from some of them. Also it blanches the meat a bit.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

I was up at my mates place last week and a lot of there’s were still out with purple feet, they don’t have the room to shed them all up at the same time, they have been on the silage and nut for a few weeks now, the fields are knackered

do you sponge your ewes ?

No we dont sponge, but we do run teasers in with them before tups. 

Purple spray is crap, tell him to pay extra and get proper stuff from vet, terramycin etc usually a blue spray. That violet over counter does nothing. Any that need treating we bring into a hospital pen, isolated from the rest. Once sorted she gets notch in ear. If one with notch comes in again with bad feet then it's time to meet her pitta bread of destiny. 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

No we dont sponge, but we do run teasers in with them before tups. 

Purple spray is crap, tell him to pay extra and get proper stuff from vet, terramycin etc usually a blue spray. That violet over counter does nothing. Any that need treating we bring into a hospital pen, isolated from the rest. Once sorted she gets notch in ear. If one with notch comes in again with bad feet then it's time to meet her pitta bread of destiny. 

My mate has sponged for a couple of years now, it’s mental how they all lamb in a few days, it works well for them because the first batch never runs on into the second so they know they will have the shed space if they are late turning them out due to weather 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

What you feed them on right up until lambing mate? 

They've been on oats with very small amount of cake when out through the 3in1. Still on same ration now hand fed,  gradually increase cake & decrease oats, week before lambing they'll be on just cake (GLW)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

One week to go officially, although none are looking imminent.

20200109_084112.jpg

This is always worse time for me, waiting & also half expecting to find something going wrong (prolapse etc). Keep checking for signs of any that look closest, "looking for slack fannys & big titties" my mentor told me as a kid! 

20200109_083247.jpg

Sweets for the triplets!

20200109_141359.jpg

This time of year it seems every waking hour I'm looking at sheep. And then I have a sodding dreams about them at night!!

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 7

Big girls need love too!

20200109_141435.jpg

20200114_101842.jpg

Now that is a thing of beauty imo, perfect bag, clean, good size tits that a lamb can fit in its mouth, pointing the right way; good lass!! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 2