What does a Scottish Deerhound cost?

17 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

If I caught up with the technobod that invented predictive text I'd be liable to fist the beans out of him by dint of a hardy gauntlet

Tis enough to give one the arsehole, never mind being in the huff courtesy of waking up with a dry dream

??if ye catch up wi the charlatan be sure 2 gi him a portion o stick from me ow lad ??

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard deerhounds can turn on a sixpence and definitely don't have a turning circle similar to that of a double decker bus.

To much for any man that’s wanting one for working with a high likelihood of it being a duffer an no good for work take your risk on a deerhound greyhound the odds are far better in your favour 

Really tall dogs like deerhounds and their crosses are usually naturally very fast if they have a real good strike they can straight line a lot of quarry and scoop them up before they know whats going

14 hours ago, Black neck said:

If u come wi me 2 meet alfie flowers round the back o the old 1-11 he can usually sort summat out 4 under a pony

It doesnae matter if it's done under a horse or no. As long as thepups are born healthy. £25 sounds pretty dam reasonable for a good working sire.

10 hours ago, bunnyboiler said:

Work or pet ?

Well, I've heard, probably on here too, that Deerhounds strike prey differently than a whippet say and are likely not much good for the rabbits that have undermined a few of the houses around me.

9 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Or a deerhound fendog meaning deer/grey by fendog. I'm guessing you might not know what a fendog is so it's a dog bred from generations of dogs that run hare well and is mostly saluki and greyhound with other bits and pieces way back in the breeding. This'll add drive and running sense. ( look at the "Alan Sankey" thread to see what one looks like).

Aye, they seem handy.  I'll have a read of that Alan Sankey thread.

8 hours ago, bird said:

true,  better of with nice lurcher x lurcher, alot of lads  on here breed good working stuff, and even if you dont work it , it still more healthy and more brain tha pure deerhound, i like deerhounds , they have nice temps . but like most big dogs they got fair few health probs . a lurcher =  hybrid  x bred dog  100% better choose  , and be lot more cheaper to buy for a start .!

Makes total sense for a working dog.  BTW Alsatian Greyhound seems a good cross.  Does he run cunning on the rabbits or has he got a lot of speed still. Alsatians are still fast.

2 hours ago, shaaark said:

Sounds good mate lol. Yeah I've been a bit of a gin convert the last few years. Had some sloe gin about 35 years ago which my ex brother in law made, not good ?. The very mention of the word 'gin' would see me nearly wretching for several years after lol. But the last few years, I do actually enjoy gin ?

Beinn An Tuirc Gin is a newer Gin local to Argyll, quite new, quite good, postage cost not bad, webpage o' the same name.  

18 hours ago, poxon said:

so not a deerhound then like the bloke asked for or a predominately deerhound bred long dog but a courseing long dog that generations ago started of as a deerhound greyhound long dog that’s been watered down over generations with saluki greyhound coursing dog an had other bits an bobs added to the mix but still as the title of deerhound long dog ??‍♂️ Surly you mean just a coursing bitza of no discript type bar saluki greyhound type 

Surely it should never be about what one man wants but what others know he should have ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Campbell said:

Well, I've heard, probably on here too, that Deerhounds strike prey differently than a whippet say and are likely not much good for the rabbits that have undermined a few of the houses around me.

I had a first cross deerhound greyhound up until a few years back . Got him a 18 months old as he didn't get on with the previous owners Alsatian dog . He was a fair lump of a dog and absolutely friggin useless at anything at first . He did however gradually get better , he was never going to be a great dog but he was half decent after I put some work into him .

It was actually good to watch him on rabbits as his technique was entirely different from my other lurcher I had at the time , it's right they cant corner but once going straight he could really shift and he would just swoop in and snatch rabbits up without really slowing down .

They are very slow to mature and he needed a firm hand , never liked other Male dogs but did give me hours of pleasure and he tried hard to please , which is all I could of asked for .

• Like 3

Really tall dogs like deerhounds and their crosses are usually naturally very fast if they have a real good strike they can straight line a lot of quarry and scoop them up before they know whats going on, its good to watch. The problems start when quarry is twisting, jinking and making the dog over shoot, even if the dog is super fit a few missed strikes and over shoots of 20 to 30 yards soon slows the dog down long enough for the quarry to make good its escape, if the dog is not fit they fade really quick usually after one or two missed strikes again making the quarrys escape much easier.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, joe ox said:

Really tall dogs like deerhounds and their crosses are usually naturally very fast if they have a real good strike they can straight line a lot of quarry and scoop them up before they know whats going on, its good to watch. The problems start when quarry is twisting, jinking and making the dog over shoot, even if the dog is super fit a few missed strikes and over shoots of 20 to 30 yards soon slows the dog down long enough for the quarry to make good its escape, if the dog is not fit they fade really quick usually after one or two missed strikes again making the quarrys escape much easier.

fair point joe, with tall dogs , i know this  sounds daft even though Buck  28in 90 lb ,  even if over runs stuff, he get back on track quick , he like bryn like that both have good pace/agilty , as said collies and gsd  are both like that .

15 hours ago, Campbell said:

Makes total sense for a working dog.  BTW Alsatian Greyhound seems a good cross.  Does he run cunning on the rabbits or has he got a lot of speed still. Alsatians are still fast.

he picks rabbits up easy, his best bag  38 in the lamp, your right alsatians  are naturally fast dogs, so stick running dog in the mix, there that more quicker. with my big dog he covers the ground quick, with his long stride, he on his quarry quite quick . in my mind there like big collie x greys , and colliexs are fast and agile lurchers. what i love about my big dog , is the way smashes through cover after quarry, it great to see  for such big dog, had cracking walk in the woods early on ,  both him and old bryn , little woody lol full 1hour .15 mins   on the go , both panting heavy when back to motor  great walk

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bird said:

fair point joe, with tall dogs , i know this  sounds daft even though Buck  28in 90 lb ,  even if over runs stuff, he get back on track quick , he like bryn like that both have good pace/agilty , as said collies and gsd  are both like that .

He maybe able to get back on track quick but the energy he uses to do it eventually adds up to make the night shorter and the bag not as full at the end of the night.

• Like 3