What does a Scottish Deerhound cost?

Hi,  I am still quite new on here and haven't really posted much at all.  Well, I've finally made the decision to try and buy a hound.  Since reading Lurchers and Longdogs as a boy I suppose I've preferred "running dogs."  The only other type I would put any effort into getting would be a good Alsatian.

I have done a bit o' thinking and a Deerhound or Scottish Deerhound if you prefer or a long dog with a lot of Deerhound would suit me fine.  There are several fantastic Deerhound breeders webpages on line.  Some offering remarkably detailed info about pedigrees which must take long hours and dedication to write up.

However, I am left with 1 question which I don't want to raise with any breeder months before possible litters are to be offered for sale.  I'm going to divvy it up into the 4 options I'm really most interested in. 

Price?  Simples.

• How much do average pedigreed level Deerhound pups sell for usually at 12 weeks?
  • How much, and where in south Kintyre, Scotland, are Deerhound x racing Greyhounds sold for?
  • How much might a top level champion Deerhound dog sell for?
  • How much might it cost for a good sound Deerhound stud to service a normal or racing Greyhound? 

I simply ask the question on here as I suspect the real knowledge and experience it would take to know the answers to this question are to be found right here.  Possibly including from some of the top flight sighthound breeders in person.

If I get a few great answers at all I'll be well pleased and a wee bit more knowledgable 2.

Chears and let the games begin.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard deerhounds can turn on a sixpence and definitely don't have a turning circle similar to that of a double decker bus.

To much for any man that’s wanting one for working with a high likelihood of it being a duffer an no good for work take your risk on a deerhound greyhound the odds are far better in your favour 

Really tall dogs like deerhounds and their crosses are usually naturally very fast if they have a real good strike they can straight line a lot of quarry and scoop them up before they know whats going

5 hours ago, Campbell said:

Hi,  I am still quite new on here and haven't really posted much at all.  Well, I've finally made the decision to try and buy a hound.  Since reading Lurchers and Longdogs as a boy I suppose I've preferred "running dogs."  The only other type I would put any effort into getting would be a good Alsatian.

I have done a bit o' thinking and a Deerhound or Scottish Deerhound if you prefer or a long dog with a lot of Deerhound would suit me fine.  There are several fantastic Deerhound breeders webpages on line.  Some offering remarkably detailed info about pedigrees which must take long hours and dedication to write up.

However, I am left with 1 question which I don't want to raise with any breeder months before possible litters are to be offered for sale.  I'm going to divvy it up into the 4 options I'm really most interested in. 

Price?  Simples.

• How much do average pedigreed level Deerhound pups sell for usually at 12 weeks?
  • How much, and where in south Kintyre, Scotland, are Deerhound x racing Greyhounds sold for?
  • How much might a top level champion Deerhound dog sell for?
  • How much might it cost for a good sound Deerhound stud to service a normal or racing Greyhound? 

I simply ask the question on here as I suspect the real knowledge and experience it would take to know the answers to this question are to be found right here.  Possibly including from some of the top flight sighthound breeders in person.

If I get a few great answers at all I'll be well pleased and a wee bit more knowledgable 2.

Chears and let the games begin.

If u come wi me 2 meet alfie flowers round the back o the old 1-11 he can usually sort summat out 4 under a pony

• Like 1
3 hours ago, poxon said:

To much for any man that’s wanting one for working with a high likelihood of it being a duffer an no good for work take your risk on a deerhound greyhound the odds are far better in your favour 

Or a deerhound fendog meaning deer/grey by fendog. I'm guessing you might not know what a fendog is so it's a dog bred from generations of dogs that run hare well and is mostly saluki and greyhound with other bits and pieces way back in the breeding. This'll add drive and running sense. ( look at the "Alan Sankey" thread to see what one looks like).

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Or a deerhound fendog meaning deer/grey by fendog. I'm guessing you might not know what a fendog is so it's a dog bred from generations of dogs that run hare well and is mostly saluki and greyhound with other bits and pieces way back in the breeding. This'll add drive and running sense. ( look at the "Alan Sankey" thread to see what one looks like).

so not a deerhound then like the bloke asked for or a predominately deerhound bred long dog but a courseing long dog that generations ago started of as a deerhound greyhound long dog that’s been watered down over generations with saluki greyhound coursing dog an had other bits an bobs added to the mix but still as the title of deerhound long dog ??‍♂️ Surly you mean just a coursing bitza of no discript type bar saluki greyhound type 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Couple years of heart ach nd disappointment 

4 hours ago, poxon said:

true,  better of with nice lurcher x lurcher, alot of lads  on here breed good working stuff, and even if you dont work it , it still more healthy and more brain tha pure deerhound, i like deerhounds , they have nice temps . but like most big dogs they got fair few health probs . a lurcher =  hybrid  x bred dog  100% better choose  , and be lot more cheaper to buy for a start .!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, poxon said:

so not a deerhound then like the bloke asked for or a predominately deerhound bred long dog but a courseing long dog that generations ago started of as a deerhound greyhound long dog that’s been watered down over generations with saluki greyhound coursing dog an had other bits an bobs added to the mix but still as the title of deerhound long dog ??‍♂️ Surly you mean just a coursing bitza of no discript type bar saluki greyhound type 

I was suggesting a pup with one parent a pure deerhound and the other a fendog. The better lines of fendog are closely linebred so such a pup would be a first cross.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I was suggesting a pup with one parent a pure deerhound and the other a fendog. The better lines of fendog are closely linebred so such a pup would be a first cross.

Definitely mate I got a bit confused for a minute mate but I’d agree with that 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

What a strange bugger you can be

Sloe bin ?

I hazard he was over the fence pumping the neighbours goat whilst typing

Sloe bin? ?. Gin  I said GIN. Anyway, isn't that one of the seven deadly sins, or whatever it is,  one shalt not covet thy neighbour's goat?

• Haha 1