• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those poor mice ?

Well zeroed my new tikka 17 HMR in to day What a nice little light weight gun and not as noisy as I thought it was going to be , but my god it’s accurate  is it a easy job to adjust the trig

It’s .22 Phil. Mostly for corvids, fox and if we need to thin out hares. Also works well on rabbits but makes a mess on body shots and often removes the head with head shots. With the wildcat evo it’s

11 hours ago, villaman said:

Why do most use 17gr in 17 HMR and not 20 gr . Is there any heavier ammo for HMR , apart from 20 gr ?

Possibly because the 17g is easier  to get hold of or maybe because the majority use the hmr for bunnies and the 17g does a good enough job without the need for anything else , just my thoughts could be totally wrong though

14 hours ago, villaman said:

Why do most use 17gr in 17 HMR and not 20 gr . Is there any heavier ammo for HMR , apart from 20 gr ?

Velocity,  the faster you go the flatter the trajectory.

Be careful with that damn mouse gun make sure every shot has exited the barrel.

They are still turning up at my RFDs having had ammo issues.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

To be honest, I have never known a cartridge to be so troublesome than any other cartridge ever made!

Ive had more squib .17’s than .22’s and i’ve shot so many multiples of .22 over the years compared to .17’s. And to say that .17 ammo is much more expensive, where’s the excuse for that? However, more recently I haven’t had a bad round of .17. Maybe, and hopefully, it’s improved, at last?

• Like 2

A few weeks ago a chap came into the rfd with a buggered barrel from a faulty hmr shell so there are still a few incidents still popping up every now and then. This was one of the reasons I didn't jump into the hmr and was more interested in .22wmr, not as flat a trajectory but not as much to go wrong.

Phil

• Like 1
16 hours ago, villaman said:

The 17 grain ballistic tip bullets are more frangible than the 20 grain hp’s. For example, if a 17 grain bt bullet strikes a bone in a small animal such a squirrel for example, the bullet will break up and turn the inside into mush. The 20 grain .17 hp’s will punch through without having the same effect. The 20 grain hp’s have greater penetration, the 17 grain, more explosive on impact. They can make a real mess of rabbits if you intend to eat them, you’ll need to head shoot them.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

The 17 grain ballistic tip bullets are more frangible than the 20 grain hp’s. For example, if a 17 grain bt bullet strikes a bone in a small animal such a squirrel for example, the bullet will break up and turn the inside into mush. The 20 grain .17 hp’s will punch through without having the same effect. The 20 grain hp’s have greater penetration, the 17 grain, more explosive on impact. They can make a real mess of rabbits if you intend to eat them, you’ll need to head shoot them.

Or leave them as fox / crow bait. ?

Phil

• Like 1
On 10/12/2019 at 15:07, philpot said:

A few weeks ago a chap came into the rfd with a buggered barrel from a faulty hmr shell so there are still a few incidents still popping up every now and then. This was one of the reasons I didn't jump into the hmr and was more interested in .22wmr, not as flat a trajectory but not as much to go wrong.

Phil

That's where I was hoping .17 WSM would fill the void and offer even better performance. However, it seems it's had it's own ammo issues that have stopped it taking off as well as it might have done.

.17 Hornet is a great little round but unfortunately crosses the line between rimfire and Centrefire, which increase the expense per shot beyond what most people seeking a rimmy want to pay. Great little cf round though alongside .22 Hornet.

Maybe the way forward will be case telescoped ammunition for civilian use. I understand they deliver higher pressures and are cheaper to produce. The big issue here is some governments won't want us getting our hands on them even though performance is only increased a little over regular rounds of a given calibre. On the green side, the polymer cases will need a good recycling scheme.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Alsone said:

That's where I was hoping .17 WSM would fill the void and offer even better performance. However, it seems it's had it's own ammo issues that have stopped it taking off as well as it might have done.

.17 Hornet is a great little round but unfortunately crosses the line between rimfire and Centrefire, which increase the expense per shot beyond what most people seeking a rimmy want to pay. Great little cf round though alongside .22 Hornet.

Maybe the way forward will be case telescoped ammunition for civilian use. I understand they deliver higher pressures and are cheaper to produce. The big issue here is some governments won't want us getting our hands on them even though performance is only increased a little over regular rounds of a given calibre. On the green side, the polymer cases will need a good recycling scheme.

+1 for the hornet, cracking little round.?

• Like 1