TO dear for deer

I don't stalk but have shooting rights for land we use for a syndicate shoot .The farmer doesn't mind deer on the place but now and again he wants a few taken off.

We have a few lads who want to stalk 2 are novices and 1 is very experienced I will not let the novices out on the place by themselves  so  the experienced man  offered to take them out if they paid £40 towards his expenses mostly diesel as he would have a 120 mile round trip to the permission . He would larder the deer and sell it to his game dealer  and the money would be given to the shoot funds or the shooter could buy the deer at dealer price, again monies go into syndicate fund.

The response from the novices  stalkers was that they thought it was to dear .So is forty quid to expensive to be mentored  stalking roe deer (buck or doe) .

The deal with the experienced stalker was you come and take dear at you expense then larder the meat and pay the shoot game dealer price.

• Like 1

I’ve mentored loads of people , got nearly forty people their fist deer and most without cost , but a hundred and twenty mile round trip using a 4x4 must cost him the thick end of thirty quid , larder time and his equipment and what’s left of £40 ...about enough to buy breakfast ..his time is priced at nothing , £40 for a days stalking at today’s rates IS for nothing ..

• Like 8
51 minutes ago, sussex said:

I’ve mentored loads of people , got nearly forty people their fist deer and most without cost , but a hundred and twenty mile round trip using a 4x4 must cost him the thick end of thirty quid , larder time and his equipment and what’s left of £40 ...about enough to buy breakfast ..his time is priced at nothing , £40 for a days stalking at today’s rates IS for nothing ..

That's true. Is there no one more local? My mentoring is done on my door step so it's not quite the same thing

It all depends on how much you want to shoot a target. When the suggested cost is broken down it is nothing, but at the end of the day all each gun is doing is shooting a target.  Ok they are learning something about stalking and the guy isn't making anything out of it but £40 to shoot something is as  daft as paying £40 to shoot a pheasant or a rabbit or a tin can.  They make their choice and if the funds are going back into the shoot.   Another angle is that as soon as anyone starts charging where does it stop ?  Is the land owner going to be selling off pigeon shooting to the highest bidder or selling off the shooting rights and carving you out of the frame completely ? I've seen that one before where old Fred has been shooting a piece of ground for years and suddenly next season is a bidding war, where random blokes turn up; shoot the place out and then move on leaving poor ole Fred looking over the hedge somewhere.  Dunno. not all down to money.  Why aren't you taking them so the guy doesn't have a 120 mile trip ?

Edited by Meece

Sounds reasonable. He is only covering his expenses and he is putting any extra (carcass money) into the shoot. 

If the shoot offered that out publicly they could charge a lot more and both the shoot and the stalker would be better off. 

11 hours ago, Meece said:

It all depends on how much you want to shoot a target. When the suggested cost is broken down it is nothing, but at the end of the day all each gun is doing is shooting a target.  Ok they are learning something about stalking and the guy isn't making anything out of it but £40 to shoot something is as  daft as paying £40 to shoot a pheasant or a rabbit or a tin can.  They make their choice and if the funds are going back into the shoot.   Another angle is that as soon as anyone starts charging where does it stop ?  Is the land owner going to be selling off pigeon shooting to the highest bidder or selling off the shooting rights and carving you out of the frame completely ? I've seen that one before where old Fred has been shooting a piece of ground for years and suddenly next season is a bidding war, where random blokes turn up; shoot the place out and then move on leaving poor ole Fred looking over the hedge somewhere.  Dunno. not all down to money.  Why aren't you taking them so the guy doesn't have a 120 mile trip ?

I don't have the experience to look after novice guns and  I also live 60 miles away from the ground.

Not just target shooting when you have to stalk into your target then prep and inspect the deer for the larder so a learning trip out.

Are you a genuine whanna be stalker if you don't want pay for a stalk.

24 minutes ago, hily said:

Are you a genuine whanna be stalker if you don't want pay for a stalk.

I don't know if they are.  If they are members of your syndicate then surely they should be helped and taught by other members.  £40 is nothing.  Have they been told or given a breakdown of why that cost has been asked? And if the stalker is going to the shoot to take a couple then why can't they be taken and instructed at the same time?

Luckily I have ground that has a few roe and the odd fallow that wanders through so I don't have ground that I have to travel miles to get to.  I only selectively take a couple a year for my own use and am not putting the carcasses into the food chain.  It is only in recent times that the dsc has come about and it has been taken out of the field and into the classroom.  Sometimes I wonder why it is that nowadays everyone is scared of doing anything without a bit of paper.  The act of stalking should be easy unless you wander around shouting and banging vehicle doors ect.  I did say that the costs that your stalker was proposing were really cheap but for the person paying it £40 to shoot a cartridge at a target isn't.  But then I am in a different circumstance where all it cost me is either a 243 or 270 round.  The thing being is that what they are getting is the knowledge which is priceless.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Meece said:

I don't know if they are.  If they are members of your syndicate then surely they should be helped and taught by other members.  £40 is nothing.  Have they been told or given a breakdown of why that cost has been asked? And if the stalker is going to the shoot to take a couple then why can't they be taken and instructed at the same time?

Luckily I have ground that has a few roe and the odd fallow that wanders through so I don't have ground that I have to travel miles to get to.  I only selectively take a couple a year for my own use and am not putting the carcasses into the food chain.  It is only in recent times that the dsc has come about and it has been taken out of the field and into the classroom.  Sometimes I wonder why it is that nowadays everyone is scared of doing anything without a bit of paper.  The act of stalking should be easy unless you wander around shouting and banging vehicle doors ect.  I did say that the costs that your stalker was proposing were really cheap but for the person paying it £40 to shoot a cartridge at a target isn't.  But then I am in a different circumstance where all it cost me is either a 243 or 270 round.  The thing being is that what they are getting is the knowledge which is priceless.

the syndicate is a pheasant shoot.To keep it in house so to speak I offered the stalking to our members .

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/12/2019 at 10:24, hily said:

I don't stalk but have shooting rights for land we use for a syndicate shoot .The farmer doesn't mind deer on the place but now and again he wants a few taken off.

We have a few lads who want to stalk 2 are novices and 1 is very experienced I will not let the novices out on the place by themselves  so  the experienced man  offered to take them out if they paid £40 towards his expenses mostly diesel as he would have a 120 mile round trip to the permission . He would larder the deer and sell it to his game dealer  and the money would be given to the shoot funds or the shooter could buy the deer at dealer price, again monies go into syndicate fund.

The response from the novices  stalkers was that they thought it was to dear .So is forty quid to expensive to be mentored  stalking roe deer (buck or doe) .

The deal with the experienced stalker was you come and take dear at you expense then larder the meat and pay the shoot game dealer price.

Tell them go try find it cheap and tell you how they get on , bet your waiting a while if the lad as offerd to come in his own time and out his way and take the lads out  so they can shoot then don’t see problem ,with asking them cover fuel , ( I’d offer it if it was me ) if the lad was there anyway and he is  part of a shoot with the  other two novices then you’d think he’d offer the lads to come out anD learn how to do it safely and properly and not charge them as he was going anyway,,,,but some people it’s all about coin 

• Like 1