A break in the weather comes good

Out today at 3:30 started by checking zero on the 233/243 , both good , so I’m in the truck waiting till dark for Charlie to show up , drinking tea and smoking fags , the binoculars are on the dash , and the odd scan around , spotted two roe at 800 yards away , lazered , moving left to right along the wood line they were heading to the end of field where there is a solid fence and I know they can’t get thro , they would have to return to the wood and come back out on the same line but about 30 yards into the the next field , so there was my chance ! 

there is a hedge line running at 90 Degrees to the wood which splits the two fields 

so off I go down the hedge line I got laid up behind a tree and waited, sure enough 10 minutes later  out the wood they came no need for range finding I knew they were at 175 yards 

waited for the broad shot , and took it , she fell like a sack of spuds , 95g SST come good again 

I was really surprised the the other one just stood there looking at the one on the ground for at least 5 minutes and didn’t move off , I could have easily taken that one as well , but the thought of carrying two back to the truck witch was about 600 yards away got the better of me , to old for that kind of a hike and a heart attack would have been on the cards , fuc that ?

so no fox to nite but I was only out for about 2 hours and that’s a result 

atb Dave D53BC08B-6F53-43A3-B451-188784814BBA.jpeg.e18306d0528acb9af0620eb4ce8ef815.jpeg4EB04DE1-2210-4E34-A294-EDEDFC183807.jpeg.4ea2ba36106143a206f22b45a5fa6478.jpeg

• Like 4

nice one Dave :good:

have you got a list of people who want venison?!

ive got orders all over the spot.. can you get this and that!

went out this morning, saw 3 with the thermal and not one when the light broke through, saw 15 in an hour and half last time I was at the same place..

then it started pissin down so called it a day. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, si brown said:

nice one Dave :good:

have you got a list of people who want venison?!

ive got orders all over the spot.. can you get this and that!

went out this morning, saw 3 with the thermal and not one when the light broke through, saw 15 in an hour and half last time I was at the same place..

then it started pissin down so called it a day. 

Might be going out for a look next week Si, told my mate you might like to tag along he's fine with that...........farmer wants at least 5 taking off his land, so if you have orders.........£35 each ? £30 if they are on the smaller side 

• Like 2
On 01/12/2019 at 14:58, socks said:

The market has been flooded with cheap New Zealand venison ......

Nothing to do with New Zealand venison here Ken, folk just seem to want it no matter what price you put on it, seems they would sooner pay through the nose for supermarket meat

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, David.evans said:

If the farmer wants them really thinned out , but you struggle to get ride of the carcass, what do you do .? 

Advertise it on here and as a last resort give it to the lads on here for dog food .......

• Like 2
8 hours ago, David.evans said:

If the farmer wants them really thinned out , but you struggle to get ride of the carcass, what do you do .? 

In all honesty.......tell him Ive shot 1 or 2 he's none the wiser there in abundance round here, one things for sure I a'int shooting them for the meat to go to waste 

• Like 1

Delwal 

id rather go out with my binoculars, and camera than do that mate , any one that left the carcass where it fell must be of there head 

a little white lie to the farmer never hurt anybody as long as there happy and as socks said if comes to a push , the dogs will be well happy as a last resort 

atb 

On 01/12/2019 at 22:58, socks said:

The market has been flooded with cheap New Zealand venison ......

5000 ton farmed venison ..the supermarkets want consistency age ,colour , and supply and it’s definitely haveing  a big impact on the wild market price . Shooting the odd one or two a week to give away or sell privately is not a problem , when your shooting a lot more than that  there are all sorts of handling storage and hygiene problems .

On one of my places not shooting them is not an option and the landowner needs there numbers and damage they do kept down to a sustainable level , the level he considers sustainable is way way higher than most farmers would tolerate but this will still  involve taking sixty plus this year regardless of the venison value .

• Like 1