NEW FX SLUGS

1 hour ago, philpot said:

Just watched 'Ted's Holdover' on Airgun101 as he was using the FX Hybrid slugs and he stated he will be testing them in all the FX barrel combinations including the standard Smooth Twist like mine so that is worth looking out for. I rate Ted's approach to his testing as I do Matt Dubber and despite some who say they only favour FX, well that may be true but they show what is possible and I do not believe they fudge the results, that is just bullsh1te.

https://airgun101.com/index.php/component/allvideoshare/video/my-turn-fx-hybrid-slugs-field-test-revolutionary-air-rifle-ammuntion?Itemid=362

If anyone sees this before me. please put it up on here as I really want to see the results.

Phil

Remember them lads are sponsored by fx there not going to say there shit

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zeroed the HMR in to day jimmy at 100 yards , who needs slugs ?

They probably have them mitch but don't want to say there good for all we no they could be h&n slugs there shooting in there videos lol

Just been up to the gun shop to pick up a tikka 17 HMR and CZ 457 royal.22 , but been thinking do I really need the .22 after shooting slugs and came to the conclusion no I don’t , plus what was inter

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, villaman said:

Remember it’s only the Americans which are testing American slug / pellet  , they don’t seem to have H&N slugs yet or is it because H&N are European 

They probably have them mitch but don't want to say there good for all we no they could be h&n slugs there shooting in there videos lol

• Haha 2

Holdover Ted reckons the FX Hybrids shoot well in a Air Arms Ultimate Sporter. I've got the .22 XS Extra version so I put the numbers into Hawke Chairgun to get some idea of the theoretical performance.

FX Hybrid slugs in the AA S510 Ultimate Sporter XS  .22 cal 22 grain  BC=0.08

Muzzle velocity = approx 800 fps @ 32 FP (max power setting)
50 yds 738 fps @ 26.6 FP
100 yds 684 fps @ 22.8 FP 

Approx 3 Mil Dot holdover @100yds  (zero @ 50 yds) 

Good enough for rabbits if they are as accurate as the 16 grain AA Field or JSBs pellets I'm currently using but that remains to be seen!

I suppose the next step in air rifles, as slug technology develops, will be higher velocities up in the super sonic range, then they really will be a serious challenge to 22LR for small game.  Rimfire still has the advantage of weight.  My CZ 455 (17 HMR) weighs only 9.5 pounds with scope, bipod and moderator whereas my S510 weighs 12.5 pounds with scope and bipod.  I would imagine that high velocity air rifles will weigh even more because they will need bigger bottles to give reasonable shot counts. 

• Like 1

My crown will run at 45 fpe with H&N 21gr slugs but tuned to 40 fpe and @ 100 yards just under one milldot  , In fact 3/4 mill dot 

tried the 23 gr tonight and same hold over with more fpe . These slugs hold way more energy down range with .09 BC 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, villaman said:

My crown will run at 45 fpe with H&N 21gr slugs but tuned to 40 fpe and @ 100 yards just under one milldot  , In fact 3/4 mill dot 

tried the 23 gr tonight and same hold over with more fpe . These slugs hold way more energy down range with .09 BC 

What is your zero distance Mitch.

Phil

1 hour ago, villaman said:

Sorry this should be just over one mill dot@ 100 yards and 3/4 @ 75 yards 

Let's face is BC is very very similar on all the slugs, most of them have a hollow point design for expansion and are available in different weights. The H&N's are shooting well out of a lot of different rifles. The FX Michael Hossack slugs might have a deeper hollow point, but that also reduces BC slightly..

Would I shoot them yes, but a lot of sales will be for people who don't know any better or the FX loyals, the realistic cost will far out weigh the benefits over H&N... H&N all day long until JSB drop something to try as well..

The American manufactured slugs are far too expensive by the time they hit Europe. That includes NSA and the Rat Sniper (FX Branded ones).