German wirehaired pointer

Just doing abit of research into the breed as definitely gone be looking at a pup in the future , Is there any particular lines used for fox work or are they better from Europe ? Any forums or books worth buying ? Any help apprenticed

4 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Just doing abit of research into the breed as definitely gone be looking at a pup in the future , Is there any particular lines used for fox work or are they better from Europe ? Any forums or books worth buying ? Any help apprenticed

No idea of the lines etc but several years back I was asked by a shoot guide if I could bolt some foxes for some German people to shoot. Did one that was only winged and this German guys GWP absolutely mullered the fox with a fury that I was very surprised to see.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dytkos said:

No idea of the lines etc but several years back I was asked by a shoot guide if I could bolt some foxes for some German people to shoot. Did one that was only winged and this German guys GWP absolutely mullered the fox with a fury that I was very surprised to see.

Cheers, D.

That’s what I’m looking into mate the lines that work retrieving wounded fox ! Hopefully someone who’s owned and work one can shed some light on lines and how well they hunt 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

I had them and so did an old friend of mine. His were too cranky, so he used them on foxes. A straight GWP is too slow to catch a fox on top. Will muller one if it’s gets to it, but that’s the problem! Will hunt one all day, but what I seen is they would not hunt as quick as you like, one of them will open up on foxes too.

My vet is German, she said that the line of GWP in Ireland are a lot more aggressive then what she seen in Germany. I think the blood in Ireland is tight enough. My mate bred two litters 7 and 9 years ago and you can see their blood lines mentioned on done-deal(like gumtree) in pups today.  

Thanks for the reply , iv got a lurcher with gwp blood and I like her nose so far , I like day time hunting and being honest I see travelling with lurchers becoming a massive pain , so a pure gwp just to hunt around day time seems perfect I’m sure they will catch the odd thing here or there and mark rabbits and fox to ground , 

A mate of mine bought 2 just before the ban came in. They came out of a bitch that was just a pet he got them because he’s been a hound man all his life and wasn’t sure how the hound job would be after the ban. They found fox on the hills as good as any animal I’ve seen. They marked a spot on his hill once he walked home for a terrier and was an hour before he got back to them and they hadn’t moved. They would point a fox sat tight in a rush bed and sometimes pull them out of there seat. They had no problem dealing with 1 single handed. I’ve seen them put them up run them and catch them and I’ve seen them catch bolted foxes

• Like 3
10 hours ago, justdigit said:

A mate of mine bought 2 just before the ban came in. They came out of a bitch that was just a pet he got them because he’s been a hound man all his life and wasn’t sure how the hound job would be after the ban. They found fox on the hills as good as any animal I’ve seen. They marked a spot on his hill once he walked home for a terrier and was an hour before he got back to them and they hadn’t moved. They would point a fox sat tight in a rush bed and sometimes pull them out of there seat. They had no problem dealing with 1 single handed. I’ve seen them put them up run them and catch them and I’ve seen them catch bolted foxes

That sounds perfect , few people iv talked to have said there not quick enough for catching day time , I’m not fussed aslong as they hunt and mark , iv got a 1/4 bred Lurcher she’s sound I just think in a few years travelling with lurcher is going to be difficult I’m not gone bring a pup in for a while I think there a type of breed you really need to research before you take the punt 

You’ll know yourself a good hill Lurcher doesn’t catch everything it runs then sometimes you’ll put 1 up and think it’s in a bad spot for the dog yet it gets caught easy. I’ve seen them catch them but I’m not saying they’re catching them regularly away. There was alway 2 running together and sometimes the odd Lurcher as well. The old 2 he had did have a knack off catching bolted foxes but mainly through being clever and waiting in the right place and letting them have much of a run. If you held them back and gave it a run you probably wouldn’t see it again until he was holed again 

37 minutes ago, justdigit said:

You’ll know yourself a good hill Lurcher doesn’t catch everything it runs then sometimes you’ll put 1 up and think it’s in a bad spot for the dog yet it gets caught easy. I’ve seen them catch them but I’m not saying they’re catching them regularly away. There was alway 2 running together and sometimes the odd Lurcher as well. The old 2 he had did have a knack off catching bolted foxes but mainly through being clever and waiting in the right place and letting them have much of a run. If you held them back and gave it a run you probably wouldn’t see it again until he was holed again 

Yea iv seen a few missed by quick and experienced lurchers , I just fancy something new I will be getting one just timing of it all got new born baby here and other things , I’m trying to give myself best possible chance of it having a lot of bottle haha I think they would be a perfect suit for me plus iv got the Garmin’s so they can pretty much do as they please 

I’m picking a pup up in 2 week I’ve been looking for the right litter for a while now. I’ve know a few keepers that have them for picking up and a couple of lads that use them with hawks and they all say they like fox when they’ve come across them. I haven’t heard of 1 that hasn’t had the bottle single handed yet. 1 lad My mate was telling me about had 1 for hawks and ended giving it to a foxing man because it was going on fox and staying marking instead of doing his job. It’s had some cracking Lurchers bred out of it since 

5 hours ago, justdigit said:

I’m picking a pup up in 2 week I’ve been looking for the right litter for a while now. I’ve know a few keepers that have them for picking up and a couple of lads that use them with hawks and they all say they like fox when they’ve come across them. I haven’t heard of 1 that hasn’t had the bottle single handed yet. 1 lad My mate was telling me about had 1 for hawks and ended giving it to a foxing man because it was going on fox and staying marking instead of doing his job. It’s had some cracking Lurchers bred out of it since 

Sounds like im barking up the right tree then ! Hopefully sooner rather than later ! 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Guy I know had one, he called it s Drahthaar tho An said they were the older version an most called gwp were bred for birds an show but the Drahthaar were still tested an that before being bred off an sorting wounded game was part of the test an they had to pass it to be bred off. I saw the thing in action both grafting like a pointer an sorting a fox problem aswell ad tracking roe, not really my cup a tea so never really checked out of he was tellin truth or full of it, but he had the dog there an paid his money to have it brought over, an got what he wanted ?

I always thought drahtaar was German for wirehaire but I don’t speak German so I could be talking ?. Did he use the dog for finding fox 

• Like 1

Who was the guy on here who had one ( had big buckskin bull x too  think dogs n natives maybe )  went  over catching wild boar with it in different country was a solid looking animal , I liked look his looked like it could handle its own .

10 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Who was the guy on here who had one ( had big buckskin bull x too  think dogs n natives maybe )  went  over catching wild boar with it in different country was a solid looking animal , I liked look his looked like it could handle its own .

Yes dogs n natives. Shame he doesn't post anymore as he spoke a lot of sense & obviously got about a bit. Didn't he have something like a Catahoula as well? Probably got that wrong, but something a bit different that looked a proper dog.