Gone and done it

Gone and done it  , ordered tikka 17 HMR and CZ 457 .22 lr but having second thoughts on buying 22lr . The only reason with my .22 fx crown FAC shooting H&N slugs , it’s on par with rimfire, just over one mil dot at 100 yards running at 950 FPS 

what are your thoughts ?

• Like 3

My thoughts regarding fac air and slugs is, whilst I’m interested in the performance attainable with some of these fac air rifles, I can achieve very similar using z langs etc from a .22 rimfire. Easy, cheap, no hassle. As much as I love airguns, and always have, I don’t know how much point there is in chasing rimfire performance from them. .22 rimfires are very versatile, and can be run from 20 to 30 ft lbs using cb caps and cb longs etc, up to nearly 200 ft lbs hyper velocity. So I’d say yes, buy a .22 rimfire and you can have plenty of fun finding out. Just my opinion, others might think I’m talking bo11ock5? but I’m a rimfire nut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
44 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

My thoughts regarding fac air and slugs is, whilst I’m interested in the performance attainable with some of these fac air rifles, I can achieve very similar using z langs etc from a .22 rimfire. Easy, cheap, no hassle. As much as I love airguns, and always have, I don’t know how much point there is in chasing rimfire performance from them. .22 rimfires are very versatile, and can be run from 20 to 30 ft lbs using cb caps and cb longs etc, up to nearly 200 ft lbs hyper velocity. So I’d say yes, buy a .22 rimfire and you can have plenty of fun finding out. Just my opinion, others might think I’m talking bo11ock5? but I’m a rimfire nut.

Thing is I don’t know how much I would use .22 lr . These slugs are something else , even out at 120 yards . Did some more testing with 217 size slugs yesterday and not the 218 , my god the groups became even tighter and I mean tighter , with in 5 pence coin . Just wandering what .25 slugs will be like when they come out ,running @ 1040 FPS through the impact and this is my predicament about buying .22lr

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, villaman said:

Thing is I don’t know how much I would use .22 lr . These slugs are something else , even out at 120 yards . Did some more testing with 217 size slugs yesterday and not the 218 , my god the groups became even tighter and I mean tighter , with in 5 pence coin . Just wandering what .25 slugs will be like when they come out ,running @ 1040 FPS through the impact and this is my predicament about buying .22lr

Yep, these guns such as the crown etc are something else when it comes to airgun performance. I use reduced velocity.22 rimfire ammo in some situations for similar reasons. I have some smaller areas of land where something like an fac crown would be ideal, and I intend to get one. The z langs do the job though, these were taken on a smaller area of land where I wouldn’t have wanted to use 100ft lb 40 grain subs, but a 12ft lb air rifle wouldn’t have been enough.

B3B7F440-A806-4BB1-8E8F-4F047EA53D4D.jpeg

• Like 2

I once shot a rabbit through the head and the bullet bounced off the turf the other side and screamed for thirty yards and then hit dead center an empty steel pheasant feeder.

The dent in the steel was similar to a dent made by a sub 12 air rifle!

A zinging bullet sounds worse than it is and in fact the noise is a clear sign of rapid energy conversion and usually does not last long.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I once shot a rabbit through the head and the bullet bounced off the turf the other side and screamed for thirty yards and then hit dead center an empty steel pheasant feeder.

The dent in the steel was similar to a dent made by a sub 12 air rifle!

A zinging bullet sounds worse than it is and in fact the noise is a clear sign of rapid energy conversion and usually does not last long.

Nice to hear that but some say they can travel another 1000 m