Traditional long net in the field.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The trammel is going to hold well but I could not get a rabbit out of that on a black night, definitely not in a rush. As for bouncing on a quickest or trad net a 4z is a good start, as tommo  sa

Love my netting,..it is an ideal method of rabbiting, for an elderly gent..   http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

It's just a wee, three pole net, for covering a small warren Smithie?       http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Robtheparttimehunter1 said:

Hahaha maby I've just got good nets ?.

TBF most our rabbits are caught with dogs or purse nets, as I said above I've never been long netting at night, we use ours when ferreting so you been a hardcore longnetter probably have a much larger number to compare off, but it is very rare we have a rabbit bounce off our long nets like I said

I think your remembering your days out with rose tinted specs.....rabbits being bolted by ferrets in to stop or long nets bounce on a regular ocurance .....

its the fact the rabbit is running full tilt that causes the bounce......night time longnettng your trying to get the rabbits to trot or walk in to the net....rather than run full tilt....rabbits the trot in to a net a far more likely to tangle....

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TOMO said:

I think your remembering your days out with rose tinted specs.....rabbits being bolted by ferrets in to stop or long nets bounce on a regular ocurance .....

its the fact the rabbit is running full tilt that causes the bounce......night time longnettng your trying to get the rabbits to trot or walk in to the net....rather than run full tilt....rabbits the trot in to a net a far more likely to tangle....

Experts  who have been in the Game 10 minutes or so will not know that also they will not know that a Trammel net can cope with Rabbits moving at speed 

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

Experts who have been in the Game  Ten minutes or so will not Know that !  what they also don't know is that a Trammel can eliminate Bounce , I suppose it may sink in after year or two .

DSCF0010_zps6f55e037.jpg

5 hours ago, TOMO said:

I can assure you my glasses are not rose tinted they are generally very clear ?, I understand your point but like I said it dosnt seem to be a problem we experience in either my pals commercial quick sets or my traditional long net.

As I said though we dont get alot of rabbits in the long nets most are caught with the dogs or the purse nets, the long nets are there for a last line so you lads who catch loads of rabbits in the nets are more likely to have bouncers just because of the numbers alone.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, micky said:

Experts  who have been in the Game 10 minutes or so will not know that also they will not know that a Trammel net can cope with Rabbits moving at speed 

Experts who have been in the Game  Ten minutes or so will not Know that !  what they also don't know is that a Trammel can eliminate Bounce , I suppose it may sink in after year or two .

DSCF0010_zps6f55e037.jpg

I'm far from an expert pal, never claimed to be one either ?. Pic looks a nice place to hunt mind 

The trammel is going to hold well but I could not get a rabbit out of that on a black night, definitely not in a rush.

As for bouncing on a quickest or trad net a 4z is a good start, as tommo  said you want to trot the rabbit in to tangle but mesh size is also important. I would no longer entertain a 4 inch mesh. Others will and do and that is their choice but I like 4.25.

if the head goes through the mesh it wont be bouncing as often. I find they try to push on..

• Like 6