Traditional long net in the field.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The trammel is going to hold well but I could not get a rabbit out of that on a black night, definitely not in a rush. As for bouncing on a quickest or trad net a 4z is a good start, as tommo  sa

Love my netting,..it is an ideal method of rabbiting, for an elderly gent..   http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

It's just a wee, three pole net, for covering a small warren Smithie?       http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

Posted Images

Just now, W. Katchum said:

Do you drive an have a motor? Will prob be easier to get somebody to take you out an show you the ins an out of nets rather then explain it on here?

Poles dont stay attached to a trad net, so you store them seperate, some folk use s quiver like Robin Hood used got arrows, some use w deep pocket in a big coat, 

traditional nets come on end pins instead of a basket, so you store it on them, sorry if ye already know any of that, like I said it be quicker easier an better for you to watch an try it yaself

Thanks for the advice mate, I wasnt sure if you meant drive stuff into a net lol but I do drive a motor.

I've got a traditional long net about 25yrds, it was gifted to me for a little job. Before that I used a quick set, I've been using the traditional net with hazel poles afew years but I'm very amature I just cut the poles the way the keeper told me to and set it how he said to but it's a right carry on running it out and me hinting pal laughs his head off as I fumble about haha but I like it. 

But carring it in my bag and farting about holding the net hanked on the end pin and the poles in one hand is harder than I can manage lol

8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Only bag I use is like a wee pouch that goes inside the side pocket of me ole army trucksack, it’s a bit like a thin water proof pillow case, I take me net out of it before I start using it put it back in when I either get to motor or have finished for the night, but once I’m home I take it back out, hang the net up by the pins on a couple of hooks at the shed door am every time I walk past I just spend minute pulling out dry leaves or what not, but no bags involved in dropping or the lifting of the net, have a play about with an old coat, try an sow summat inside to hold you poles do you only need to get the one your using at a time, Iv got w mate who wears em on his back an another mate who straps em to his leg, it’s all about what works, we all different, jist ffs don’t walk back putting poles in, they go in al your dropping net? practice makes perfect pal, or as close as damn it?

Haha no I set the net as I walk it out, I currently store it in the burgean till I'm at the set but it's a right ball ache lol.

I like the pocket idea mind 

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Just stitch 2 in then, one at bottom of your back for net an one inside ye chest or summat for poles, but pull off all buttons an anything that will snag on your web, ?, an before ye know it you be dropping it in no time once you find a way that suits, an don’t worry about looking trampy. That’s he netters look ???

Haha I look trampy anyway pal

• Haha 2

Get an old jacket and remove the buttons and anything else than could snag on your net. Use the arm or leg out of an old bit of clothing to make a quiver to hold your pegs, use the rest of the garment to make a pouch to store your net and sew it into your jacket. Job done. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, NELS0N said:

Get an old jacket and remove the buttons and anything else than could snag on your net. Use the arm or leg out of an old bit of clothing to make a quiver to hold your pegs, use the rest of the garment to make a pouch to store your net and sew it into your jacket. Job done. 

I was just looking at a purse net harness and thought that might suit a couple of long nets without me having to butcher me nice jacket haha