Rabbit numbers across the UK.

B&W

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was in Leicestershire two Weeks ago ,I went onto two large Farms and there was a lot on both  after three years of nothing . Not World beating places but you can get a few each Week of the season .

Haven't posted for a long while on here but I'm really interested to find out what your local Rabbit population is like at the mo and previous seasons .. I've been ferreting for 30 years now and

It's wiped them out round here and even with the odd helping hand they still aren't recovering. No point having a lurcher or taking the ferrets out locally.  People who are still going out and catchin

Posted Images

Sad times FF. Is the perm normally quite decent? The badgers don’t help, digging out nests and turfing rabbits out of there own burrows etc. They have fairly destroyed a decent permission I have, a lot of the better warrens are now taken over and in the summer you see rabbit nests pulled out in the few spots that are left with rabbits on them. I think RVHD2 has been the main culprit to rabbit numbers but badger population increases have definitely had an impact also. 

1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

Sad times FF. Is the perm normally quite decent? The badgers don’t help, digging out nests and turfing rabbits out of there own burrows etc. They have fairly destroyed a decent permission I have, a lot of the better warrens are now taken over and in the summer you see rabbit nests pulled out in the few spots that are left with rabbits on them. I think RVHD2 has been the main culprit to rabbit numbers but badger population increases have definitely had an impact also. 

I have to agree with you. I think badger numbers have a big effect on rabbits. some people won't have it but it's no coincidence. I have seen hedgerows and embankments were there were good rabbit setts now taken over by badgers huge mounds of earth. 

1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

I dont spend too much time on here as busy etc but i always take time to read your posts as they are informative and always bang on. It is crap for some of the lads who havent got any bunnies to.go at probably mainly down to RHVD2 but you do have to make a bit more effort now to find them. I've probably been out with 7 or 8 good lads off here and took dogs for a run had a good crack and got some bunnies but I've offered to take lads out on my permissions with plenty of bunnies on now most of them probably think its too good to be true or whatever else but there are still bunnies out there now. fred90 joked that there are no rabbits in derbyshire when im in that area and if you ever one night have half hour spare would love to take you where i spent many years as a kid with no permission on there.

Had a look on there a while back and there were bloody hundreds on there i couldn't believe my eyes and can also take you to another place round the corner that had no rabbits on a few years ago and i have got the numbers back up by repopulating, its not an offer of going out rabbiting as don't do that anymore its just to show you that there are plenty about in some areas.

Obviously RHVD2 has had a massive impact and there are some places i have been over the years where they have completely disappeared which is sad to see but there are also plenty still out there.

Happy hunting to you all ?

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, wilbs said:

seems you are right and half the country is wrong then. only place I have seen half decent I was there friday and still killed a few with myxy been doing this since September. 

Edited by fred90

No,  just that i am out there doing it instead of talking a good story and also have got too much going on in my life to bicker about rabbits.

I know plenty of lads doing their bit you just have to travel a bit further, as long as you are getting a few and enjoying it thats all that matters. 

Am off out with dogs in a bit do you want me to pick you up on the way - bloody armchair hunters lol 

4 minutes ago, wilbs said:

No,  just that i am out there doing it instead of talking a good story and also have got too much going on in my life to bicker about rabbits.

I know plenty of lads doing their bit you just have to travel a bit further, as long as you are getting a few and enjoying it thats all that matters. 

Am off out with dogs in a bit do you want me to pick you up on the way - bloody armchair hunters lol 

to call someone a armchair hunter who you have never met is bit childish in my opinion. I speak to chaps in there 60s and 70s who have had a lifetime at it Derbyshire men and they are experiencing the same. 

• Like 1

I was just having the crack with you pal i know a few old boys and I do like to listen to their stories.  As long as everyone is happy doing it how they want thats all that matters.  If you ever need any tips send me a PM lol always happy to help. 

I was just trying to be positive and let you know that there were still bunnies close to you 

• Like 1

I think that being a countryman means you have to roll with the punches and cycles of nature.

I'm from similar area as micky, tomo and sid g and I remember fondly ferreting 10-15 years ago. I had f**k all money but a couple of ferrets, some home made nets and a few mates and we had some sport. Heaps of rabbits to go at in hindsight! The railway lines were breeding hotspots!

Moved away from rabbiting just as it started to go down hill but I often talk to a couple of mates about how it'd be great to get back into it again, casually like. It just ain't worth it though.

I'm glad I experienced it before it went to shit, it'll be a generation before it comes back, if at all. In the mean time there's other quarry to go at...

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2019 at 10:08, WHWT said:

I am up Northumberland and we have hit on the permission we have it the present, is unreal 50 60 70 with ferrets never seen nowt like it for well ever, we walked the place reeds,marsh grass, salt grass etc and picked 18 up with terriers no running dogs. So i think we are lucky by what ever one else is saying.

PUD  

You won’t be if you keep taking 50/60/70 

Only do what farmer ask or tell us to do marra, either that or he says he shoot them. Nowt gets wasted sort the ones out that still like the odd bunnie or two game deal still taking some. The rest minced for dogs or to local ferret rescue man.

PUD

• Like 2
On 04/12/2019 at 11:08, Greyman said:

I feel bad nowadays if I catch a rabbit they are so scarce, been declining in numbers for years, though on my cameras I,m picking up little pockets of rabbits that appear to be living above ground in thick woodland scrub almost like they no the burrows are not a safe place anymore, this has been happening more and more over the last two years, my dogs are more switched onto squirrels  these days as we see and catch lots more of them than rabbits, ?

Till the pine martins get hold then they will be gone ?

all I do now is just mooch on my permission with a single ferrets and take a couple off each permission my permissions are fairly close Together that I can walk between instead of killing off everything I just take one or two Then I have a little bit of sport for rest of the season rather than get rid of them all and have nothing some permission is a complete get rid of them all but most aren’t bothered about them and just let me on as and when I want rather take a hand full once a month than 30 at once once a year lol 

• Like 1