what's the UK coming to

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

update for anyone interested. sentencing today. gunman got 13 years, accomplice got 8 years and driver got 4 and a half years. glad it's now all over. 

bloody hell fred that's a terrible ordeal for the mrs and shopkeeper....like's been said things like that can have a big affect on people ...hope they can put it past them and move on...my best wishes

Posted Images

bloody hell fred that's a terrible ordeal for the mrs and shopkeeper....like's been said things like that can have a big affect on people ...hope they can put it past them and move on...my best wishes TOMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

How long has it been since villages were bustling hubs of shops then ?

Them days  are long gone here in England never mind Ireland.

High Streets are dead and have been for years.

Its mostly online retailers nowdays working out of warehouses ' Amazon ect.

Bustling Irish villages with high streets full of shops is a pipe dream for 95% of places nowdays.

They just don't get the foot fal anymore to make it pay.

I know the high street is in decline mate, but lots of little bustling country towns still exist, at least they do in the south. I was in a lovely one recently in Sussex. Lots of little independent shops & plenty of people. 

It reminded of how much I love English country towns ?

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1
54 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

I know the high street is in decline mate, but lots of little bustling country towns still exist, at least they do in the south. I was in a lovely one recently in Sussex. Lots of little independent shops & plenty of people. 

It reminded of how much I love English country towns ?

I was in Canterbury last summer and I was shocked at the few empty shops, HOWEVER......as a whole the place was still rammed with people and the percentage of empty shops was small compared to those still thriving.

Now, imho, a town as busy as that shouldn’t have any empty shops but the place was maintained, around the cathedral was still lovely.

Sandwhich had every shop occupied and was booming.

All making the most of what they have and looking after it.

No derelict boarded up places there.

Obviously here we have the border and the contrast is stark......as you leave the republic in Cavan there is a little village, empty shops, not maintained, looks like something from a war......drive 3 miles up the road into the UK and in the next village every shop is open, all clean and looked after.....very much alive and kicking.

As you say, I love English country town and villages.......it reminds you of where you are.

• Like 1

I'm very lucky here in my town I don't think there is one empty shop. We still have four butchers shops Grocery, Iron Monger shops plenty of Pubs and Restaurants a open air market on Fridays. Too many Galleries and Jewellery shops but at least they are not empty. Only one Super market Morrisons and they are shit. A lot of people won't use them and only use the high street and that's what keeps it alive. Its only a small town but its great to see it so vibrant.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
6 hours ago, WILF said:

I was in Canterbury last summer and I was shocked at the few empty shops, HOWEVER......as a whole the place was still rammed with people and the percentage of empty shops was small compared to those still thriving.

Now, imho, a town as busy as that shouldn’t have any empty shops but the place was maintained, around the cathedral was still lovely.

Sandwhich had every shop occupied and was booming.

All making the most of what they have and looking after it.

No derelict boarded up places there.

Obviously here we have the border and the contrast is stark......as you leave the republic in Cavan there is a little village, empty shops, not maintained, looks like something from a war......drive 3 miles up the road into the UK and in the next village every shop is open, all clean and looked after.....very much alive and kicking.

As you say, I love English country town and villages.......it reminds you of where you are.

If you had kept going towards Margate its a totally different kettle of fish ive had to go there 3 or 4 times of late and every time ive been there its like Beirut !!....i remember going to Bembom Bros in Margate as youngsters it was a lovely little coastal town....it just seems like anywhere hordes of immigrants are put the area immediately starts to decay,property prices suffer.....Kent was always seen as " posh " when we was young but Margate right along the coast to Reculver maybe further i dont know....going down the toilet now ! 

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

If you had kept going towards Margate its a totally different kettle of fish ive had to go there 3 or 4 times of late and every time ive been there its like Beirut !!....i remember going to Bembom Bros in Margate as youngsters it was a lovely little coastal town....it just seems like anywhere hordes of immigrants are put the area immediately starts to decay,property prices suffer.....Kent was always seen as " posh " when we was young but Margate right along the coast to Reculver maybe further i dont know....going down the toilet now ! 

Hastings went the same mate, absolute piss hole.

Im not sure, but I think there are a few more upmarket Independant business moving in now.

6 hours ago, Arry said:

I'm very lucky here in my town I don't think there is one empty shop. We still have four butchers shops Grocery, Iron Monger shops plenty of Pubs and Restaurants a open air market on Fridays. Too many Galleries and Jewellery shops but at least they are not empty. Only one Super market Morrisons and they are shit. A lot of people won't use them and only use the high street and that's what keeps it alive. Its only a small town but its great to see it so vibrant.

Cheers Arry

Sounds great Arry ?

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...