And we complain about foxes lol.

10 hours ago, MH1 said:

Where would it have come from? Pyrenees?

I doubt it. It was north of the Gironde estuary. The Gironde is a very large river fed by other large rives such as the Lot and Dordogne. It divides the country north / south in the same way that the Humber estuary does. Except the distances are much greater. The wolf has been identified from photographs as a grey wolf and these are found in small numbers on the other side of the  country bordering Italy. There are Iberian wolves in Spain and Portugal, but this isn't thought to be one of those.

Probably an escapee. There are wildlife parks and zoos in that region although you would have thought that they would keep a check on their numbers and report any escapees. So, it probably is an escapee from an unregistered private owner. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Accip74 said:

In the last year wolves have made it back into Belgium, with one being spotted less than an hour from our house. These have made it down from holland where there is now a small resident population along the Dutch/German border.

With Holland & Belgium being such tiny densely populated countries with no real wilderness, I can only imagine this will become a serious issue soon enough with either culling or removal taking place, if it hasn’t already?

Really interesting to hear this mate......I remember reading about the first female to make it there last year and then how she attracted a mate from Germany and that she had pups so looks like the ones you know about could be direct descendants from her......

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/22/pioneering-female-becomes-first-wolf-in-belgium-in-a-century

Sounds a nice story but in reality we would hate them over here.......not safe to go hunting with dogs, stock kills etc would just change the set up so much

53 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Really interesting to hear this mate......I remember reading about the first female to make it there last year and then how she attracted a mate from Germany and that she had pups so looks like the ones you know about could be direct descendants from her......

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/22/pioneering-female-becomes-first-wolf-in-belgium-in-a-century

Sounds a nice story but in reality we would hate them over here.......not safe to go hunting with dogs, stock kills etc would just change the set up so much

Yeah it makes a great story mate & quite exciting to think one could be roaming around just up the road, but it’s never going to end well. They think the one (at least one) I was talking about may of already been shot by hunters, which is inevitable really, badgers don’t even get to settle this end of Belgium!

They could fare better in the Ardennes & there are rumours, but it’s a big ask in such a small country.....

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Yeah it makes a great story mate & quite exciting to think one could be roaming around just up the road, but it’s never going to end well. They think the one (at least one) I was talking about may of already been shot by hunters, which is inevitable really, badgers don’t even get to settle this end of Belgium!

They could fare better in the Ardennes & there are rumours, but it’s a big ask in such a small country.....

Good thing about wolves is they will return a call, if you go out at night and give a few howls they will respond if they are near you ?also have the biggest claws of all canids as they never walk on hard surfaces so quite easy to spot ??

D3425D3A-9C32-4338-A6EF-0EF9AA801991.png

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

I knew a local parts distributor who owned a coywolf. He was doing fine for months with it until one day she turned on him. That was the end of that animal.

i never understood why he would even think it was a good idea having one.

coywolves are getting plentiful in Ontario for some reason. Coyotes and wolves are a major problem over here. There has been a few human deaths by coyotes not so many from wolves.

wolves just decimate the deer,elk, moose and cattle.Wolves are not just in the dense forests, one was seen down in the farmland only two weeks back.i have size 12 boots and i compared my boot to a wolf print and it was just over 1/2 of my boot. I did post a pic last of one. They are fckn huge

where i have my deer bait in the forestry there is a major issue with wolves. Deer numbers are severely down and more hunters are catching them on their game cams. The worst part is, if you see one or even threatened by one, you are NOT allowed to shoot it. Yeah i know that makes a lot of sense lol

foxes over here are rarely shot as they do a good job on keeping the mouse numbers down. 

I was having a shit on the prairie in Alberta lol, and one appeared round the corner of the hill and walked passed me about 20m away. Luckily he was by himself or I would've been caught with my pants down more than I already was?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, MH1 said:

I was having a shit on the prairie in Alberta lol, and one appeared round the corner of the hill and walked passed me about 20m away. Luckily he was by himself or I would've been caught with my pants down more than I already was?

thats hilarious but worrying at the same time.

doesnt matter how big and desolate this country is,you cant take a dump in peace

• Haha 2