Deerhounds

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely old running dogs,...I'm pleased that a few lads still fancy owning some of these beautiful animals.. My old stock were bred directly off an Ardkinglas Deerhound dog over a tremendously wel

There you go shark ?genuine articles ?

nice ttle film that mick.....what just shows them deerhounds back then ...looked more like the half crosses of today....

Posted Images

Just now, W. Katchum said:

Ain’t your mutt German bred ? You always shouting about local bred dogs, where’s jazz’s bloodline from canabill? ?

She his ddr bred alsation but Eastern Germany a tough old place ta survive for any creature winter time big difference than a pussy fied mix bred mutt from the seaside of the British fecking Spain and fa what it's worth katchum ya a doubled up wnkef atb bill

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

So foreign bred then, thanks canabill?

No bred in the midlands from imported base stock  galagos  zany got imported totally different same could be said of your cattle dog British bred from imported stock very very different they evved on a few gens in the UK cana be said for those galgo he fet hong over yeah got it if not have  wee think about atb bill

1 hour ago, billhardy said:

Joe we all o they were designed to bring beasts done at bay but like the pit terrier totally designed fa another lob but when xed with the greyhound  we have a totally different kind of jukel hence some types reign supreme at some. Jobs but fa the deerhound when mixed hold there own on abit of most edible bits a jobs master of none kind jukel. Atb bill

Wish I knew as much as you.

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, joe ox said:

People fool themselves into thinking deerhounds and their crosses must be good on deer because of the deer in their name.

Not the case as deerhounds were bred to push and keep at bay when things become stationary, those are two things any man serious about catching deer with lurchers would not want his lurchers to do.

So you're saying that deerhounds and their crosses are/were no good on deer? And that people that have owned said crosses, have fooled themselves into believing that their dogs were actually any good on deer, even though their freezers were full of venison, and these same dogs kept themselves in food, because the owners had no need to buy in? Yeah I see where you're coming from ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
25 minutes ago, shaaark said:

So you're saying that deerhounds and their crosses are/were no good on deer? And that people that have owned said crosses, have fooled themselves into believing that their dogs were actually any good on deer, even though their freezers were full of venison, and these same dogs kept themselves in food, because the owners had no need to buy in? Yeah I see where you're coming from ?

They were bred to run and catch red deer not bring them 2 bay dont know where that's come from ask me old mate mr scrope 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Black neck said:

They were bred to run and catch red deer not bring them 2 bay dont know where that's come from ask me old mate mr scrope 

The bringing to bay came in during the 1600's, after people started using rifles to shoot them. After that time pure deerhounds were needed less, and that's when the crosses to different types came in. Collie crosses, dogs with nose and intelligence were more useful at finding and tracking, so mr scrope tells me.

Besides which, I've witnessed with me own mince pies, several deer/greys and deer/grey/collie/grey types taking several deer, that certainly weren't shy of tackling said beasties full on, far from it. Pre ban obviously

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

I deliberately missed out the bit that I have seen some decent deerhound crosses that are good on deer so its not always the case, but thought no I will let a dickhead like yourself take the bait and point out the obvious, it took all day for bait to be taken thankyou and well done ? 

Edited by joe ox
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

The bringing to bay came in during the 1600's, after people started using rifles to shoot them. After that time pure deerhounds were needed less, and that's when the crosses to different types came in. Collie crosses, dogs with nose and intelligence were more useful at finding and tracking, so mr scrope tells me.

Besides which, I've witnessed with me own mince pies, several deer/greys and deer/grey/collie/grey types taking several deer, that certainly weren't shy of tackling said beasties full on, far from it. Pre ban obviously

Your just talking roe deer aint ya ?

• Like 1